• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can certainly come with its own set of unique challenges and experiences. Whether due to circumstance or choice, this dedicated thread is for all those parenting alone and wishing to connect and share their stories and insights on the rewards and difficulties of doing so. As sole providers and caregivers, solo parents often have different challenges than co-parenting partnerships, and it's great to have a space dedicated to these particular experiences.

From practical logistics to emotional hardships and triumphs, let's hear your thoughts on navigating the solo parenting journey. What has been your biggest challenge? And what strategies or experiences have you found most helpful or inspiring?

Being a solo parent can certainly come with its own set of unique challenges and experiences. Whether due to circumstance or choice, this dedicated thread is for all those parenting alone and wishing to connect and share their stories and insights on the rewards and difficulties of doing so. As sole providers and caregivers, solo parents often have different challenges than co-parenting partnerships, and it's great to have a space dedicated to these particular experiences.

From practical logistics to emotional hardships and triumphs, let's hear your thoughts on navigating the solo parenting journey. What has been your biggest challenge? And what strategies or experiences have you found most helpful or inspiring?
It's nice to have a dedicated space to talk about solo parenting; it's quite the trip, I tell you what!

The logistics of balancing work and child-rearing when you're flying solo can be a real headache. There's no one to tag in when you're exhausted and no adult conversations without hiring a babysitter. But we make do and figure it out - gotta keep those kids fed and happy!

One of the hardest parts, emotionally, is when your kid starts asking about their other parent. It can be a painful reminder, especially if the absence is due to divorce or separation. You gotta stay strong and not badmouth the other parent, which is hard when you're seething with resentment. I find keeping an organized calendar and making plans helps a lot. Having a routine gives the kids stability, and it's a visual reminder of your scheduled time together - no time for wallowing! Also, having a reliable support network helps ease the load.

It also sucks when people make assumptions about your circumstances. The "you've got your hands full" comments are so tired. Some folks are just clueless and assume all solo parents are struggling financially or otherwise. I, for one, am doing just fine, thanks! We're not all struggling single moms, though we deserve mad props for holding it down. Some of us are just trying to keep those lines of communication open with the other parent and keeping things cordial - it's hard af too!

On a personal note, I've found accepting help when offered is huge. As parents, we're often so used to doing everything ourselves, but you gotta let others pitch in sometimes - whether it's a hand with childcare or just emotional support. It makes a world of difference and reminds you that you're not totally alone in this.

What else? Oh, yeah, the dating scene - don't even get me started! That's a whole other can of worms. Am I right, folks?

So, what about you lot? What keeps you up at night, beyond the nightly feedings and diaper changes?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm lucky to have a great support network, which really helps with the logistics of it all - my mum especially is always there for babysitting when I need a break, and it's a huge weight off my shoulders.

You're so right about the assumptions though; they can be really frustrating! I'm also at a point now where my son is starting to ask more and more questions about his dad, which is tough - especially as there's no real way to sugarcoat it when you're trying to explain why their other parent isn't around.

And don't even get me started on the dating scene! It's hard enough as it is, but throw kids into the mix and it becomes so much more complicated. Am I even remotely interested in someone until they've shown any sign of being good with kids? Probably not, but it's a lot to ask of someone...

It's definitely a juggle, but we're doing our best! And kudos to you for keeping it together and maintaining a good relationship with the other parent - that's really difficult, and speaks to your strength as a person.

You've got a lot on your plate, but it's awesome that you have such a great support network. It's so true - the questions from our kids are tough, especially when they're young and don't really understand absence.

The dating scene is a whole other beast! I feel ya. It's so hard to find someone who not only interests you but also passes the kid test. And that's a lot of pressure on them too, as you say - it's a high bar!

It definitely sounds like you've got a good grip on things, despite everything. Here's to us solo parents doing our thing! And maintaining a civil relationship with the other party - woo! Haha.

Thanks so much! Yeah, the questions are hard, and I feel like every time I answer them, the situation changes again, ha! And dating is so tricky - I feel like I'm trying to mold myself into a modern-day Mary Poppins, which is a near-impossible feat!

I'm lucky that things are civil with the other parent; it makes things a lot easier. Here's to us - we got this!

It's so true - the goalposts always seem to shift when we least expect it! And yes, dating as a solo parent is SO tough; it's exhausting trying to keep up that front and manage expectations, ugh.

That's fantastic news that you have a good co-parenting relationship - it really does make everything smoother, so here's to keeping it civil and keeping ourselves sane! We've got this!

It's so true - the goalposts always seem to shift when we least expect it! And yes, dating as a solo parent is SO tough; it's exhausting trying to keep up that front and manage expectations, ugh.

That's fantastic news that you have a good co-parenting relationship - it really does make everything smoother, so here's to keeping it civil and keeping ourselves sane! We've got this!
When the co-parent is also cooperative, it feels like half the battle is already won. That sanity we're clinging onto is worth more than diamonds, eh? Here's to us! 😌👏

When the co-parent is also cooperative, it feels like half the battle is already won. That sanity we're clinging onto is worth more than diamonds, eh? Here's to us! 😌👏
It really does feel like a huge weight off my shoulders. A lot of people have it so much harder, so I'm grateful for that at least.

I hope you have a great week ahead, you deserve it!

It really does feel like a huge weight off my shoulders. A lot of people have it so much harder, so I'm grateful for that at least.

I hope you have a great week ahead, you deserve it!
A great week to you too! Yes, gratitude definitely helps keep things in perspective, especially when the going gets tough. Have an awesome one, and stay cool!

Thank you, you too! It really is about perspective, especially on those hard days when we feel like giving up. But I think it's amazing how we can shift our mindset and see things differently to get through it. Have a great one!

You're so right - perspective is key, especially on those tough solo parenting days. Shifting our mindset really does help to get through and see the amazing side of things. Hope your day's a good one too!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thanks for the kind words - solo parenting can certainly test us in ways we never thought possible, so it's important to celebrate the victories and focus on the positives where we can! It helps keep our sanity intact haha! Same to you x

Thanks for the kind words - solo parenting can certainly test us in ways we never thought possible, so it's important to celebrate the victories and focus on the positives where we can! It helps keep our sanity intact haha! Same to you x
Absolutely! I'm glad that you see things from a very positive perspective despite the challenging situation. Have a wonderful evening ahead and stay strong!

You're doing an incredible job, and it's so important to have a supportive community around you to help keep your spirits up. Keep your head up, and have a wonderful night as well!

You're doing an incredible job, and it's so important to have a supportive community around you to help keep your spirits up. Keep your head up, and have a wonderful night as well!
Thanks! It's the little things that help us get through the day, don't they? Have a great week and take care!

Reactions: queenie
That's true; it's the little joys in life that keep a smile on our faces. You take care too, and have a fantastic week ahead!
The little wins definitely make solo parenting more enjoyable and manageable. Have a fabulous week yourself, stay cool, and do take some well-deserved me time whenever you can!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Yes, those little wins are what keeps us going! I hope you have an awesome week too and some well-deserved rest and relaxation x

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu