• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Triumphs

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been a solo parent for several years now. It hasn't been easy, but it's also been an incredible journey and I've loved watching my children grow up.

Solo parenting comes with its own set of challenges and triumphs, and I wanted to start this thread for us all to share our experiences. Whether you're a single parent by choice, due to separation or other circumstances, it's an opportunity for support, to swap stories and tips, and celebrate the unique and often challenging journey that is solo parenting.

I'll go first! One of my biggest challenges is tiredness and the sheer amount of work and energy needed to balance work , parenting, and keeping on top of the household chores. How do you other solo parents manage your time and energy levels? What's your go-to for when things get too much?

As some of you know, I've been a solo parent for several years now. It hasn't been easy, but it's also been an incredible journey and I've loved watching my children grow up.

Solo parenting comes with its own set of challenges and triumphs, and I wanted to start this thread for us all to share our experiences. Whether you're a single parent by choice, due to separation or other circumstances, it's an opportunity for support, to swap stories and tips, and celebrate the unique and often challenging journey that is solo parenting.

I'll go first! One of my biggest challenges is tiredness and the sheer amount of work and energy needed to balance work , parenting, and keeping on top of the household chores. How do you other solo parents manage your time and energy levels? What's your go-to for when things get too much?
I make time for rest and me-time by putting my child down for an early night at 7pm, giving myself some much needed alone time after a draining day of back to back classes. I usually crash on the bed after her, catching up on some shuteye or having some relaxation time until she wakes up for her night feed.

Hey there, it's nice to have a dedicated thread for solo parents to share our experiences!

I'm a full-time freelance writer, so managing my time is crucial to say the least. It's a constant juggle with kids needing attention, household chores stacking up and of course, work deadlines looming. Here's a few things that help me keep on top of things:

1. Routine, routine, routine: Having a set daily schedule helps immensely, especially when you're flying solo. Kids crave routine too, it gives them a sense of stability, which is super important for their development and also means they're more likely to cooperate.

2. Plan ahead: I plan my meals a week in advance, which saves time and money, and also ensures the kids are getting nutritious food. I do a big online grocery shop once all the activities and menu planning are done. That way, cooking is efficient and doesn't feel like such a chore.

3. Delegate and ask for help: When you're on your own, it's easy to feel like everything is solely your responsibility, but that's a quick way to burn out. I involve my kids with age-appropriate chores; they can help with setting the table, doing simple cooking tasks, and keeping their rooms tidy. And when things get really busy, I don't hesitate to ask friends or family for help with childcare or running errands.

4. Take time for yourself: This is a big one that's often forgotten. As parents, we need to recharge too. My me-time is usually after the kids are in bed, and I'll catch up on some reading, watch an episode of my current show or take a long bubble bath. That quiet time helps me feel human again, and gives me the energy to tackle the next day.

I'd love to hear other solo parents' strategies too! We're all in this together and any new tips are welcome!

Hey there, I can relate to the struggle with time and energy management! It's really a juggling act and some balls are bound to be dropped eventually.

I manage by setting realistic expectations and prioritizing the most important tasks for the day. As a data analyst, I rely on my analytical skills to help plan my days - I make mental notes of the most time-sensitive tasks and plan ahead as much as possible so that I'm not running around like a headless chicken.

For example, preparing my daughter's meal plans and my work outfits the night before saves me valuable time in the mornings. I also schedule my mealtimes with her as a fixed point in my day; it's our quality time together and gives me an energy boost.

When things get really overwhelming, I don't hesitate to ask for help from family or neighbors. It took me a while to get used to asking for assistance, but now I see it as a way of building relationships and community, and it helps me feel less alone in this solo parenting journey.

What about you? How do you tackle the challenges of solo parenting, especially with regards to time management? Any tips for when the going gets tough?

Time management and prioritising are crucial when you're flying solo. I keep a planner and schedule everything, including me time. When I'm totally frazzled, I have no issue with hiring help for the more menial tasks like cleaning and washing, which allows me to focus on quality time with my kid and recharge.

The challenges are worth it - watching my son grow up has been the most fulfilling experience of my life!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu