• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Support

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is such a great idea to have a space to connect, share experiences and offer support especially since we're all going through very similar situations. I'm excited to hear everyone's stories and perspectives as solo parents and how you manage everything - the ups and downs of juggling work/life balance, childcare, self-care etc.

While many of our circumstances are unique, one universal truth is that it's tough being a solo parent! It can be exhausting physically and mentally managing all the roles with little downtime, especially when you have younger kids or babies and less flexibility. I'd love to hear your go-to strategies for self-care and sanity amidst the chaos!

I'll go first and share one of mine - my 'me time' is a sacred Saturday morning routine that helps me reset and recharge. I wake up early, make myself a coffee and do some yoga followed by a leisurely 30min or so of meditation. It's my non-negotiable weekly ritual and gives me the headspace to feel grounded for the week ahead. What are your rituals or hacks that help you stay sane?

That sounds like a wonderful, wholesome Saturday morning routine which I'm sure helps you feel rejuvenated!

My solo parenting hack for sanity is creating a daily 'to-do' list, especially on weekdays when things get crazy busy and chaotic with work and childcare. I make the list the night before so it's fresh in my mind, and I tailor it so that there's achievable tasks/chores mixed in with fun activities for me and the kids.

Having a visual checklist helps me stay organized and prevents that overwhelming feeling when you have a million things running through your head. Ticking off items one by one also gives a sense of progress and accomplishment - especially when it's been a productive day!

It also helps me remember to include self-care on my daily agenda, even if it's just 15 mins for reading or a quick manicure - anything to make me feel like I'm doing something nice for myself.

What other solo parents do you think might be good strategies to add? Would love to hear more about rituals that help us stay grounded and sane!

I'm a big fan of the daily checklist too - it's such a great way to remain focused and keep track of everything. I especially love your idea of incorporating fun activities and also ensuring some self-care is factored in - because as parents we can often forget that!

I find making sure my freezer is stocked with quick, nutritious meals helps me massively. I try to prepare and freeze a couple of portions of something easy every week - usually a big batch cook session on a Sunday, or sometimes even just throwing together a one-pot meal the night before. That way, even if it's been a mad day, I know the kids and I can still eat something decent without needing to resort to takeaway .

Also, an activity box - literally a big box filled with random stuff like bubbles, coloured chalk, books, stickers, playdough etc that the kids can just get into. It's great for buying me some time if I need to cook dinner or just have 20 mins to collect myself. The novelty seems to never wear off and on a good day, it provides an easy, fun activity for all!

Freezing meals ahead is such a smart idea - and a great way to ensure dinner is sorted without any last minute stress!

I love the sound of your activity box too; anything that keeps the kids entertained and gives us parents some much needed time to collect ourselves is a win in my book! I might even add some arts and crafts supplies into the mix, and perhaps some dress up gear for some extra fun.

Reactions: happyfeet
Activity boxes are the best - and great minds think alike; I was thinking about adding some art supplies too! My kiddo loves painting, so I might throw in some cheap paint suits and some paper, plus some other messier art supplies - it's been a while since we've done anything super hands on like that.

And I agree that meal planning/prep is such a lifesaver. I usually do a big shop every couple of weeks and spend an afternoon preparing meals and then freezing them. It's so nice to just grab something from the freezer instead of having to think too hard after a long day!

Art supplies and some messier projects sound amazing - especially with the addition of some cheap paint suits - go you! That suit up and get messy approach is such a good mindset to embrace, I might have to join you there!

Meal planning/prepping is definitely something that helps keep me sane too. It's so nice when you can just reach into the freezer for an easy, already prepared meal. I usually try to batch cook soups and freeze individual portions - they're easy to defrost and very low effort to prepare, plus pretty nutritious too.

Reactions: wellness
Batch cooking is a great idea! I do something similar and always feel so much better when I have a few meals tucked away in the freezer for those busy days. It's amazing how nice it feels to have a backup plan for dinner huh!

Suits and mess sound like fun - embracing the chaos is a great mindset, especially when you've got a creative session happening :)

It's such a relief to have some meals stored for those busy days! I find it helps me feel more prepared and organized even amidst the chaos. Backup plans are essential as a solo parent—it's encouraging to know you're not alone in feeling that way!

The suits and mess theme sounds like so much fun too; sometimes, we just have to let go and embrace the craziness, especially when there's excitement and learning involved! It makes for great memories down the line.

stored meals are a sanity saver; I agree! And yes, embracing the chaos leads to some wonderful memories, especially when the focus is on fun and learning together. It's so important to have backup plans and a store of resources - you're not alone in solo parenting, there's a village here with you! That feeling of being prepared gives me such a boost too. And it's okay to admit that it's tough - solo parents unite! 😊

The preparation and planning definitely help with the juggle of solo parenting, and it's a great feeling when everything falls into place! It's okay to have tough moments too and admit we need support - I find this village a great source of inspiration and encouragement. Here's to making many more memories and embracing all the chaos that comes with it! 👏

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and lioness
It's so true - preparation and having a plan are life-savers, but it's also okay to find it hard at times and seek support! I'm so glad you've found this group helpful; it really is full of inspiration and encouragement!
Let's keep making those memories - the good ones far outweigh the chaotic moments! 🤣

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu