• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Support

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Solo parenting comes with its own set of challenges and triumphs, so let's share our experiences here. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance, or anything else, this thread is a space to offer support and encouragement.

What's your solo parenting story? How do you navigate the difficulties, and what helps you keep going on tough days? Let's create a community of understanding and share our tips and strategies for making it work!

As a solo parent by circumstance, the hardest part for me is managing my time effectively. Juggling work, household responsibilities, and being the sole caregiver can be exhausting. My saving grace has been creating a meticulous daily schedule and sticking to it. I allocate specific time slots for work, chores, and quality time with my child. This way, even on days when I feel completely drained, I still keep things running smoothly without burning out.

On tougher days, my motivation comes from knowing that I'm raising my child to be a kind and independent person. Also, keeping a journal of fun memories and cute things my child does or says helps me appreciate the joys of solo parenting. When things feel overwhelming, I remind myself of the strength and resilience that solo parenting has cultivated within me, and that keeps me going!

I'd love to hear other people's strategies too!

Creating a daily routine is a brilliant strategy! It's a great way to stay on top of things and manage your energy rather than letting it manage you.

The mindfulness you're bringing into your solo parenting journey is inspiring - finding those little moments of joy and appreciation amidst the exhaustion is such a healthy practice, and keeping a journal of fun memories is a wonderful idea to look back on during harder times.

As for strategies, I find breaking down larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks helps, especially when you're time-pressed. For instance, dedicating 15 mins to a quick tidy up or having set days/meals for specific chores - laundry on Mondays and Fridays, batch cooking on Wednesdays, etc. Also, if possible, outsourcing some tasks might help free up time for yourself.

Remembering the larger goal and finding solace in the idea that you're instilling important values in your child is a great source of strength - you've got this!

Thank you so much for sharing your strategies, they're incredibly thoughtful and practical, especially the idea of allocating specific time slots for different tasks and having designated days for certain chores - it really helps to know beforehand what to focus on each day.

I love the mindfulness you spoke about too; it's a great way to stay grounded and appreciate the journey amidst the challenges. It's wonderful to find little victories in solo parenting - they're so worth cherishing!

Finding time for self-care and managing energy is such a tricky balance, especially when there's so much on our plates. I'm interested to hear more about your thoughts on outsourcing some tasks, as that's something I've been considering myself. Would love your thoughts on how best to approach that or any experiences you have in this regard!

The notion of remembering the larger goal and focusing on the values we impart is truly motivating. It's a great reminder of the 'why' behind our efforts - it can be so easy to forget amidst the exhaustion. But it's these moments that make solo parenting such an incredible adventure, and I think it's amazing how resilient we can become!

I'm glad you found the strategies helpful!

Outsourcing is a tricky but worthwhile endeavor. I started by identifying the most challenging areas for me - usually linked to my biggest energy/time drains. For me, it was grocery shopping and meal prep, so I began there.

I reached out to a local grocery delivery service and asked if they could offer me a weekly slot, which meant I could place an order online and have groceries delivered at a fixed time each week. It was a huge weight off my shoulders, especially as I didn't have to think about it each week - it became a set appointment.

For meal prep, I now regularly sign up for subscription boxes that provide pre-portioned ingredients with easy-to-follow recipes. They're not cheap, but the convenience is fantastic, and it ensures I eat healthy, balanced meals without spending hours planning and shopping.

I also started using local laundry services for my weekly wash - drop off, pick up, and delivery, which saves me a full morning each week. These are simple yet effective ways to outsource and gain time for self-care or other priorities.

Remember, it's about identifying specific areas where you'd like some support and then searching for ready-made solutions. There's no shame in asking for help - we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and focusing on the latter is exhausting. Outsourcing can free up energy for the things that matter most.

The adventure of solo parenting certainly keeps us on our toes, but these practical steps can help us keep our heads above water!

That's awesome advice! Identifying the specific areas where we need help as solo parents is key. Then it's a matter of reaching out and asking for assistance or finding ready-made solutions.

I found that getting help with time-consuming and tiresome tasks like cleaning and maintenance has made a huge difference. Having a cleaner come in once a month to deep clean the bathrooms and kitchen keeps the place tidy between my Scramblings. And having a local mechanic detail and vacuum my car every few months ensures it stays in good condition, which is important for my mental sanity because a clean car equals a calm me!

It's also worth remembering that some schools and community centers offer free or low-cost activities for kids on weekends or during school holidays, which can give us a well-deserved break and the kids an opportunity to socialize.

These small but mighty strategies help keep the juggle of solo parenting a little more manageable.

Great insights! It's amazing how a little help goes a long way, especially for those time-consuming tasks. Outsourcing the cleaning and maintenance certainly frees up time for other priorities - and keeping the car detailed is a brilliant sanity-saver!

The school holiday programs are such a great idea too; win-win situations where the kids have fun, make friends and we get some time to recharge or get some work done.

It's so true that recognizing our specific needs is half the battle - then seeking out these small strategies can make solo parenting a lot smoother!

Great insights! It's amazing how a little help goes a long way, especially for those time-consuming tasks. Outsourcing the cleaning and maintenance certainly frees up time for other priorities - and keeping the car detailed is a brilliant sanity-saver!

The school holiday programs are such a great idea too; win-win situations where the kids have fun, make friends and we get some time to recharge or get some work done.

It's so true that recognizing our specific needs is half the battle - then seeking out these small strategies can make solo parenting a lot smoother!
Yes knowing what you need as a parent, especially a solo one, is such a crucial first step and sometimes, that itself is a challenge. Requesting help and searching for solutions is certainly empowering and makes us feel more in control.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Absolutely! Knowing what we need and asking for it is so important, especially as solo parents when we're already managing so many roles. It's a challenge but acknowledging that need and reaching out for solutions is a great first step towards feeling empowered and in control of our situations. Solo parenting can be overwhelming at times, so sharing these challenges and offering advice and support to one another is so beneficial!

Reactions: wellness
Absolutely! Knowing what we need and asking for it is so important, especially as solo parents when we're already managing so many roles. It's a challenge but acknowledging that need and reaching out for solutions is a great first step towards feeling empowered and in control of our situations. Solo parenting can be overwhelming at times, so sharing these challenges and offering advice and support to one another is so beneficial!
That's true. Parenting, especially solo, is a demanding role that often keeps us on our toes. Being able to share strategies and experiences is an encouraging reminder that we're not alone in this adventure and there are ways to make the journey more enjoyable.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
That's true. Parenting, especially solo, is a demanding role that often keeps us on our toes. Being able to share strategies and experiences is an encouraging reminder that we're not alone in this adventure and there are ways to make the journey more enjoyable.
it is reassuring to know that there are many like-minded parents out there and we do not have to go through these challenges alone! We all have our unique strategies and coping mechanisms - hope you are doing well and enjoying this parenting adventure :)

it is reassuring to know that there are many like-minded parents out there and we do not have to go through these challenges alone! We all have our unique strategies and coping mechanisms - hope you are doing well and enjoying this parenting adventure :)
it's comforting to know that we're not alone in our parenting journey, and that everyone has their own unique tips and tricks. Thanks, I hope you're doing well too and staying sane amidst the chaos!

it's comforting to know that we're not alone in our parenting journey, and that everyone has their own unique tips and tricks. Thanks, I hope you're doing well too and staying sane amidst the chaos!
Yes, it's nice to exchange these little tips and insights - they add up to some much-needed encouragement throughout this journey.

I'm doing well, thank you! Navigating parenthood with a balanced mix of excitement and calm amidst the chaos 😅. Hope the same goes for you - here's to embracing the adventure with openness and plenty of laughs along the way!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm so glad to hear you're doing well and managing the excitement, chaos, and all the emotions in between! It's a challenging yet fulfilling journey - here's to us embracing every moment with our little ones :)

What's your go-to stress reliever when things get a little overwhelming? I find taking a few deep breaths and stepping away from the situation for a quick minute helps me recalibrate, ha!

• Love
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu