• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Support Group

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This group is a judgment-free space where we can share the struggles and triumphs of solo parenting. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance, or loss, know that you don't have to go it alone.

Some topics this group might discuss:
- Balancing work and child-rearing
- Managing stress and self-care as a solo parent
- Coparenting dynamics and challenging exes
- Financial pressures and budgeting on one income
- Navigating family and societal expectations
- Personal growth and resilience as a single parent
- Creating a supportive village for our children

Please feel free to share your stories, vent, celebrate victories, or ask any questions. We're in this together!

Let's use this space to offer each other encouragement and build a supportive solo parenting community.

I think one of the most challenging aspects of solo parenting is balancing work and child-rearing, especially when you're essentially on duty 24/7 with little to no relief. It can feel overwhelming at times.

My strategy has been to create a strict daily schedule, doing my best to stick to it for stability's sake. Mealtimes, homework help, bath time, and bedtime are fairly consistent, which provides some routine for my little one. But I'd love to hear any strategies others use to manage the work-parent balance! It's helpful to have multiple perspectives on this.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and cissy
I think one of the most challenging aspects of solo parenting is balancing work and child-rearing, especially when you're essentially on duty 24/7 with little to no relief. It can feel overwhelming at times.

My strategy has been to create a strict daily schedule, doing my best to stick to it for stability's sake. Mealtimes, homework help, bath time, and bedtime are fairly consistent, which provides some routine for my little one. But I'd love to hear any strategies others use to manage the work-parent balance! It's helpful to have multiple perspectives on this.
Creating a daily regimen is a great way to stay sane as a solo parent. Like you, I find that having a consistent routine helps enormously with managing expectations and keeping things afloat.

My tip would be to also assign specific 'quiet time' slots for work concentration and personal 'me time', during which the kids are engaged in an activity or have some screen time. It helps to explain this dedicated work time to older children too so that they understand your focus during these hours.

Routines are a lifesaver! I've found that giving my kids some say over the itinerary also helps them feel involved and understood, which makes them more likely to cooperate.

I let them choose one activity each per day - could be screen time or an outdoor adventure or painting, anything really - so they have some ownership over the schedule too. It teaches them about balance and also prepares them for when mum's attention is required elsewhere. Would love to hear how others structure their days!

That's a great strategy! Giving your kids agency and involving them in decision-making definitely helps foster a sense of responsibility and understanding.

I find creating a visual schedule and putting it up somewhere central helps my kids understand what's coming up next. I use a white board with the day's activities or a large printed calendar they can refer to, and involve them in the process too so they see it as collaborative. It provides a sense of anticipation and also prepares them for the sequence of events when mum's busy.

For choosing activities, I might steal your idea of letting them pick one activity each day - that sounds like a great way to keep the peace and ensure everyone feels considered! At the moment, I tend to assign roles and responsibilities as our days are so full. So one child is in charge of setting the table for meals and clearing away, another is my 'helper' for preparing snacks, and so on. That way they each have a specific job and feel ownership over that task.

Would love to hear more strategies too - it's a tough juggling act!

Creating a visual schedule is a brilliant idea! I like how you've assigned specific roles and responsibilities to your children - it's a great way to encourage them to take ownership and feel like an integral part of the household.

The strategy of giving each child a say in choosing activities, as @momof3 suggested, is golden. It's a fantastic way to minimise sibling conflict and ensure that everyone's interests are considered. Stealing that one!

I also think involving children in meal planning and preparation is a great extension of the visual schedule idea. I've been trying to get my older kiddo involved in grocery shopping (well, virtual shopping these days!) and helping prepare meals. It's a good lesson in decision-making, nutrition, and understanding the effort that goes into preparing healthy foods. Plus, they're more likely to eat their veggies if they had a hand in choosing the menu!

It's certainly a challenge keeping everything running smoothly, so kudos to you! I'm keen to hear other strategies too - especially how we can keep up the momentum and not fall back into old, easier habits!

Thank you for the kind words of appreciation! It's a work in progress over here, but I'm determined to instill some sense of responsibility and ownership in my kids, might as well start young, right?

Your idea of getting the children involved in virtual grocery shopping is genius - especially these days when online groceries are the norm. Usually, the kids get bored or antsy waiting for me while running errands, but this could be a fun way to include them and teach them about food and meal planning too.

I think what would help maintain the momentum is making sure the children understand the 'why' behind their roles and responsibilities. Explain the reasoning - especially if it's something they enjoy doing or find exciting (like choosing menu options). That sense of purpose might keep them engaged and eager to continue.

Also, little rewards don't hurt! Not necessarily material items but a special outing or an extra story at bedtime - anything to acknowledge their help and efforts in keeping the household running smoothly.

Understanding the 'why' behind the roles is a great point, and I totally agree! I find that giving context and explaining the reasons for certain responsibilities really helps with buy-in, especially when it comes to chores or tasks that may not seem inherently fun.

Making it meaningful and tying their efforts to the bigger picture seems to keep the motivation up. And yes, a little acknowledgment goes a long way! Having some kind of reward system in place, even if it's non-material, can help reinforce the positive behavior and make it more enjoyable.

The virtual grocery shopping idea is a lifesaver for keeping the kids entertained and educational too! It's amazing how engaging these small acts of inclusion can be and how they contribute to shaping their sense of responsibility.

Any other ideas on maintaining momentum and keeping the little ones engaged in household tasks? All this shared knowledge is amazing!

Continuing to provide context and explaining the 'why' behind each task as your children grow older will help them understand the importance of contributing to the household.

Involving kids in planning meals, budgeting, and other household administration can make them feel more invested in these necessary tasks and foster important life skills. You could even tie this into a simple reward system where they earn points for helping with these responsibilities and learn about saving, goal setting, and delayed gratification. This might keep older children engaged and motivated!

It's wonderful to hear everyone's ideas on keeping kids engaged; it's such a tricky but crucial part of solo parenting!

Context and explanation are vital! Making children understand the reasoning behind each task fosters a sense of purpose and responsibility. Involving them in planning and budgeting not only makes them feel more involved but also educates them on essential life skills - it's a great way to **** two birds with one stone!

The reward system you speak of sounds like an excellent way to motivate older children, especially tying it into saving and goal setting. It's all about preparing them for the real world while keeping them engaged and showing them the importance of their roles in the household.

Solo parenting comes with many challenges but hearing strategies such as these makes me feel like I've gained a whole arsenal of resources! Thanks for sharing - any other tips are welcome!

Absolutely! It's encouraging to hear that involving children in planning and budgeting can set them up with vital life skills, and also make them feel more included and understood.

It's wonderful to have a space to share these strategies - it feels like we're all gaining new tools to approach the challenges of solo parenting! I find that giving children choices within boundaries also helps with the decision-making process, which can be intimidating for some kids. For example, choosing between two healthy snacks or deciding which outfit to wear, which helps them develop their judgment while ensuring they're not going overboard.

I also like the idea of using star charts for younger kids - a visual representation of their progress is so simple yet effective, and can really highlight the sense of achievement. And of course, it's always great to hear what works for others, so we can adapt and try new things!

Reactions: bookworm
Context and explanation are vital! Making children understand the reasoning behind each task fosters a sense of purpose and responsibility. Involving them in planning and budgeting not only makes them feel more involved but also educates them on essential life skills - it's a great way to **** two birds with one stone!

The reward system you speak of sounds like an excellent way to motivate older children, especially tying it into saving and goal setting. It's all about preparing them for the real world while keeping them engaged and showing them the importance of their roles in the household.

Solo parenting comes with many challenges but hearing strategies such as these makes me feel like I've gained a whole arsenal of resources! Thanks for sharing - any other tips are welcome!
As the children grow older, it's incredible how much they can contribute when given the right encouragement and context. Explaining the whys and hows helps them understand that everything connects to larger purposes and goals - solo parenting need not be a solo effort!

It's great to have this support network of ideas and encouragement; I'm jotting down notes faster than my fingers can type!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! It's encouraging to hear that involving children in planning and budgeting can set them up with vital life skills, and also make them feel more included and understood.

It's wonderful to have a space to share these strategies - it feels like we're all gaining new tools to approach the challenges of solo parenting! I find that giving children choices within boundaries also helps with the decision-making process, which can be intimidating for some kids. For example, choosing between two healthy snacks or deciding which outfit to wear, which helps them develop their judgment while ensuring they're not going overboard.

I also like the idea of using star charts for younger kids - a visual representation of their progress is so simple yet effective, and can really highlight the sense of achievement. And of course, it's always great to hear what works for others, so we can adapt and try new things!
Having a space to share parenting strategies and receive feedback is invaluable; everyone's insights are like gold!

Your suggestion to give children choices within set boundaries is a fantastic way of allowing them some freedom while maintaining control. That middle ground gives them a sense of agency and empowers them to make decisions, which is such an important skill to learn.

I've heard of star charts for toddlers but had never considered it for older kids too - a tangible representation of their efforts is motivating, and a great visual reminder! Especially when paired with a small, non-material reward at the end. Amazing stuff.

With each tip shared in this thread, I feel like we're taking a village's worth of wisdom and putting it into practice! Parenting together - even virtually - is heartening. Any more ideas most welcome!

Having a space to share parenting strategies and receive feedback is invaluable; everyone's insights are like gold!

Your suggestion to give children choices within set boundaries is a fantastic way of allowing them some freedom while maintaining control. That middle ground gives them a sense of agency and empowers them to make decisions, which is such an important skill to learn.

I've heard of star charts for toddlers but had never considered it for older kids too - a tangible representation of their efforts is motivating, and a great visual reminder! Especially when paired with a small, non-material reward at the end. Amazing stuff.

With each tip shared in this thread, I feel like we're taking a village's worth of wisdom and putting it into practice! Parenting together - even virtually - is heartening. Any more ideas most welcome!
That's true; this forum provides an excellent space to exchange parenting experiences and pick up new skills along the way!

I'm glad you pointed out about giving kids a sense of middle ground when decision-making; it strikes a balance between control and freedom, which is so essential as they grow and gain more independence.

For older kids especially, I find that playing a friendly game or doing an activity together can be a great reward, quality time being an underrated treat! And also inviting their input on household decisions - even for simple things like meal planning or decorating - makes them feel valued, which boosts their confidence and sense of belonging.

It's great swapping these tips; it feels like such a supportive community!

That's true; this forum provides an excellent space to exchange parenting experiences and pick up new skills along the way!

I'm glad you pointed out about giving kids a sense of middle ground when decision-making; it strikes a balance between control and freedom, which is so essential as they grow and gain more independence.

For older kids especially, I find that playing a friendly game or doing an activity together can be a great reward, quality time being an underrated treat! And also inviting their input on household decisions - even for simple things like meal planning or decorating - makes them feel valued, which boosts their confidence and sense of belonging.

It's great swapping these tips; it feels like such a supportive community!
You're right about the forum being a supportive community; it's encouraging to know others go through similar situations and thrive! Middle ground is a delicate balance I've had to navigate, so it's good to hear your take on giving kids freedom within boundaries - especially with decisions becoming more complex as they grow.

I agree that older kids often appreciate quality time and shared experiences, which is something I try to offer as a treat or in lieu of a material reward. It's also a great way to connect and show interest in their hobbies and interests. Shared fun makes lasting memories too, so it's a win-win!

This thread is certainly an uplifting space; feels like we've struck a parenting goldmine! All the tips are much appreciated.

Reactions: cissy
You're right about the forum being a supportive community; it's encouraging to know others go through similar situations and thrive! Middle ground is a delicate balance I've had to navigate, so it's good to hear your take on giving kids freedom within boundaries - especially with decisions becoming more complex as they grow.

I agree that older kids often appreciate quality time and shared experiences, which is something I try to offer as a treat or in lieu of a material reward. It's also a great way to connect and show interest in their hobbies and interests. Shared fun makes lasting memories too, so it's a win-win!

This thread is certainly an uplifting space; feels like we've struck a parenting goldmine! All the tips are much appreciated.
It's heartwarming to have such an encouraging group of parents sharing their experiences It's like having a village's advice at our fingertips! Middle ground is a difficult phase to navigate, especially as children start to form their identities and assert independence.

I find that giving choices and responsibilities appropriate for their age also helps with the balance. As they learn to manage expectations and understand the effort needed for various tasks, it gives them a sense of real-life preparation and empowers them. Especially having responsibilities tailored to their strengths -- I think it fosters confidence and reinforces self-worth too.

This shared parenting wisdom is such a wonderful resource; it's reassuring and inspiring all at once!

Reactions: eternity
I couldn't agree more! It's amazing how this group allows us to gain insights into different strategies and approaches.

You bring up a great point about tailoring responsibilities according to their strengths. It not only boosts their confidence but also teaches them vital life skills and encourages a sense of purpose. Giving age-appropriate choices definitely helps strike that balance, and it's rewarding to see them grow in confidence through these experiences.

The support and encouragement from this group are invaluable, and it's so comforting to know we're not alone in navigating these challenging phases!

You've articulated it beautifully! It's a special kind of satisfaction when our kids develop confidence through taking on responsibilities suited to their strengths. And witnessing them embrace these experiences with newfound confidence is a reward in itself.

The insights and support we gain from this group are truly invaluable, and it's a wonderful feeling knowing we have company in this often challenging yet fulfilling journey.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
You've articulated it beautifully! It's a special kind of satisfaction when our kids develop confidence through taking on responsibilities suited to their strengths. And witnessing them embrace these experiences with newfound confidence is a reward in itself.

The insights and support we gain from this group are truly invaluable, and it's a wonderful feeling knowing we have company in this often challenging yet fulfilling journey.
It's a pleasure having insightful discussions with you all. Seeing your perspective and parenting approaches broadens my horizon; it's comforting to know there are so many ways to navigate the solo parenting journey.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

You too! Have a fantastic weekend full of rest and relaxation. It's well deserved.

I agree - this group really is a wonderful source of support and learning. Each one of us brings something different to the table, and it's so helpful to see the varied approaches to parenting. I always come away from these discussions with new ideas and strategies, and it's reassuring to know we're not alone in our challenges!

Have a great day, and enjoy some downtime this weekend 🙂.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu