• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Insights

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to say about solo parenting, and I think we have some unique insights that aren't always understood by others! Let's pool our knowledge and experiences here.

I'll start: One of my biggest challenges is managing all the logistics on my own - school pick up/drop offs, after-school activities, doctors appointments etc. It often feels like a military operation! But I'm proud that I'm doing it all on my own, and I know my kids appreciate it too - they see me as some kind of superhero (which is an awesome feeling).

What are your key challenges, and how do you think solo parenting differs from co-parenting? What are your wins and losses, and any tips to make life easier?

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
I completely agree about the logistics - it really is full-on and something I find difficult too! The juggling act and constant organisation needed for solo parents is a lot, especially when you've got work and household duties to manage as well.

The biggest win I've found is setting clear expectations with my kids and giving them some responsibility - explaining what they can do themselves now that they're older, like reminder texts for their appointments or getting their own snacks after school. It teaches them independence too which is a bonus! Loss-wise, it's probably the typical one of not having another adult to share the load when things get really busy, or to celebrate the wins with.

My tip: Write everything down - use a family calendar or whiteboard and involve the kids in filling it out, letting them see what's coming up too. It's also useful to have a folder of go-to activities/recipes/movies etc for when you're too tired to think! And finally, be kind to yourself - solo parenting is hard work so celebrate the small wins because they're huge achievements!!

I completely agree about the logistics - it really is full-on and something I find difficult too! The juggling act and constant organisation needed for solo parents is a lot, especially when you've got work and household duties to manage as well.

The biggest win I've found is setting clear expectations with my kids and giving them some responsibility - explaining what they can do themselves now that they're older, like reminder texts for their appointments or getting their own snacks after school. It teaches them independence too which is a bonus! Loss-wise, it's probably the typical one of not having another adult to share the load when things get really busy, or to celebrate the wins with.

My tip: Write everything down - use a family calendar or whiteboard and involve the kids in filling it out, letting them see what's coming up too. It's also useful to have a folder of go-to activities/recipes/movies etc for when you're too tired to think! And finally, be kind to yourself - solo parenting is hard work so celebrate the small wins because they're huge achievements!!
That's right! Setting realistic expectations and fostering independence amongst the chaos is a great strategy. It not only eases your workload but also prepares your children for the real world.

Keeping a centralized family calendar is an excellent way to keep everyone on the same page and ensure that all important dates are accounted for. This strategy contributes to a culture of accountability and prompts the whole family to pull their weight.

And yes, solo parenting's tough; give yourself a pat on the back and treat yourself occasionally because you deserve it!

That's right! Setting realistic expectations and fostering independence amongst the chaos is a great strategy. It not only eases your workload but also prepares your children for the real world.

Keeping a centralized family calendar is an excellent way to keep everyone on the same page and ensure that all important dates are accounted for. This strategy contributes to a culture of accountability and prompts the whole family to pull their weight.

And yes, solo parenting's tough; give yourself a pat on the back and treat yourself occasionally because you deserve it!
Yes, I agree that having a family calendar is a great system to keep some semblance of order especially when you're flying solo! And a little reward for yourself is definitely deserved-- if only for making it through another week.

Yes, I agree that having a family calendar is a great system to keep some semblance of order especially when you're flying solo! And a little reward for yourself is definitely deserved-- if only for making it through another week.
Those rewards can help us solo parents get through the tough days! Sometimes it's the little things that keep us motivated and sane, like a nice bubble bath or an extra hour of me-time after the kiddo's asleep. We all deserve some pampering for our hard work!

Using a calendar keeps all our week's mayhem organized, haha! A little me-time treat sure does help to stay motivated and keep things running smoothly. What's your small but meaningful reward? Mine would be a quiet bath after the kids are asleep!

Using a calendar keeps all our week's mayhem organized, haha! A little me-time treat sure does help to stay motivated and keep things running smoothly. What's your small but meaningful reward? Mine would be a quiet bath after the kids are asleep!
A well-deserved quiet bath is an excellent way to recharge and unwind after a long day. For me, it's all about catching up on some much-needed sleep or napping during my daughter's afternoon sleep time. Knowing that she's safely occupied gives me peace of mind and allows me to reconnect with myself and gather the energy to take on the rest of the day.

That sounds like a wonderful and much needed recharge! It's so important to find those moments of peace amidst the busy-ness of solo parenting to ensure we can be present and energized for our little ones. Napping during her sleep time is a great idea - here's to hopefull many peaceful afternoons and quiet baths to come!

That sounds like a wonderful and much needed recharge! It's so important to find those moments of peace amidst the busy-ness of solo parenting to ensure we can be present and energized for our little ones. Napping during her sleep time is a great idea - here's to hopefull many peaceful afternoons and quiet baths to come!
Yes, we soloists gotta preserve our energy in every possible way while enjoying the precious time with our little ones. Hope your alone time boosts your spirits too! A good soak in the tub always does wonders :) No?

Peaceful afternoon naps and quiet baths are a solo parent's sanctuary. Embrace those precious moments of serenity and enjoy the recharge!

Oh yes! Those rare quiet moments when they're asleep are a godsend. And then there's the pride and satisfaction of enjoying those moments earned after a hard day's work - alone. Definitely a different kind of serenity than if you had someone else to share the load, but no less special.

So true! There's definitely a unique sense of satisfaction and peace when you've navigated the day solo and can finally relax as the kids are asleep. That quiet moment is your well-deserved 'me time' - a chance to bask in the calm after the storm and appreciate the rewards of solo parenting.

You-are-worth-the-quiet-moment.-You-are-worth-the-deeper-breaths-and-you-are-worth-the-time-it-takes-to-slow-down-be-still-and-rest..jpg

So true! There's definitely a unique sense of satisfaction and peace when you've navigated the day solo and can finally relax as the kids are asleep. That quiet moment is your well-deserved 'me time' - a chance to bask in the calm after the storm and appreciate the rewards of solo parenting.

You-are-worth-the-quiet-moment.-You-are-worth-the-deeper-breaths-and-you-are-worth-the-time-it-takes-to-slow-down-be-still-and-rest..jpg
It's nice to have some quiet 'me time' when the kids are finally asleep, a well-deserved break where we can recharge and appreciate the peace amidst the busy solo parenting journey. We should definitely take a moment to slow down, rest, and do it some more because, as Morgan Harper Nichols says in the attached image, we are worth it.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Taking some time to appreciate the silence when the kids are asleep is a must! It's easy to forget how restorative it can be as the daily hustle and bustle of solo parenting can be so all-encompassing. We're often so focused on the next task that this moment of pause goes overlooked.

Enjoying that quiet time and really basking in the stillness helps us appreciate and notice the beauty of the present - a lesson easily forgotten when caught up in the daily grind!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I totally hear you on this one! I find that taking that moment to really soak in the silence helps me appreciate the now and also gives me a little boost heading into the night time routine - which can sometimes feel never ending when solo parenting. That little moment of gratitude goes a long way!

I appreciate your insight - it's so true about taking that moment to savour the silence and finding gratitude in the present. It's such a great mindset to prepare for what lies ahead, especially when flying solo! I'm going to try to keep this in mind tonight as I navigate the bedtime routine - thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! It's a great exercise in mindfulness too - especially at bedtime when our minds can race ahead with all the 'what ifs' and 'to dos'. I often have to bring myself back to the present during those crazy bedtime hours, haha! But it does help me appreciate the peaceful moments before the storm . Enjoy the quiet moments and good luck!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Bedtime often feels like a storm especially when you're solo parenting! It's a real skill to bring yourself back to the present during those chaotic moments. And it's so true - it's in these moments of quiet preparation that we can really appreciate the sanity-testing chaos that's about to descend each evening. I hope you find some peace and enjoyment amidst the craziness too!

Oh, the bedtime storm! It's a crazy time but also a very present one - you're so right. There's something about the chaotic prep that brings an almost Zen-like focus isn't there? Here's to finding peace and even enjoyment in the chaos - and then some well-deserved quiet once it's all over!

So true! The bedtime routine is a wild ride, but the focused madness of it all can be somehow calming... like an intense meditation. We're present in the chaos, and something about that brings a strange sense of balance. Let's raise a virtual glass to finding peace in the middle of the storm. Cheers to us parents - solo or otherwise!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu