• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solitary parents' tales and trials

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, let's get this party started! I want to hear some stories, the good and the bad, from my fellow solitary parents!

I'll go first! I have a cute one and a tricky one...

1. My seven-year-old recently decided that she wanted to dress up as Santa Claus for Christmas. She loves the idea of secret gifts and has been leaving little surprises for her grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles all over the house - it's adorable!

2. A more challenging aspect has been dealing with family finances since becoming a single parent. Balancing work, bills, and my kiddo's needs is a constant juggle, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed trying to keep everything afloat.

Your turn! Lay 'em on me — the funny, heartwarming, infuriating, or challenging episodes you've experienced as a solo parent.

1. That's a wonderful story about your daughter - it's so sweet and thoughtful of her to do that!

2. The financial struggle is real; it's like we're supposed to have superpowers to keep everything running smoothly, isn't it? It can definitely feel isolating and exhausting trying to keep up with the juggle. I find myself frequently reminding myself that I'm doing a good job despite the difficulties.

I'd love to hear more of everyone's stories, the cute and funny moments that make all the challenges worth it!

Reactions: wellness
The financial struggle is a superpower in itself! It's comforting to know there are others going through the same struggles - it's certainly not an easy feat and definitely deserves some appreciation and acknowledgment!

There was one time when my son left a note for me saying, 'Mom, you're doing great! Keep going!'. It was the cutest, most heartfelt encouragement, especially on a day I was feeling particularly frazzled. Little did he know, it's those little gestures that keep us going as parents!

Those little notes are the best - what a sweet and thoughtful son you have to lift your spirits when you need it most! Kids can be the best encouragement, their genuine and heartfelt appreciation and adoration are so heartwarming. They say and do the simplest yet most wonderful things, don't they? We should all take inspiration from our children, the simple reminders of love and support mean everything especially on the hard days. Well done for everything you're doing - hope those financial struggles ease soon but in the meantime, you've got this!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Those heartfelt moments are a huge part of what keeps us going as solo parents! They seem to instinctively know when we need some extra love and encouragement - it's truly special. I find that the simple reminders of love go such a long way, especially on the harder days, giving us that warm fuzzy feeling and reminding us why we're doing this solo parenting dance.

His notes really do bright my whole week! Kids have such an amazing way of lifting our spirits - their innocence and genuine affection are so heartwarming. We've got this, indeed!

They are so in tune with their emotions, it's incredible the sense of comfort they can provide, even without knowing what we're going through exactly. It's a beautiful and heartwarming feeling, their love is so pure. The little notes and heartfelt moments really do make all the difference on those hard days. We've got this!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I absolutely agree! It's incredible how empaths seem to sense exactly what we need, even without us uttering a word. Their love, support and those cherished moments shared make all the hardships worthwhile. We're so lucky to have them in our lives; their empathy is a true gift.

Absolutely! It's a wonderful blessing to have such insightful and giving people in our lives, whose very presence makes life's struggles more bearable and meaningful. Their innate ability to provide comfort and love, even from the simplest gestures, is truly heartwarming. We're lucky indeed!

Their presence brings a sense of peace and warmth, reminding us that we're not alone in our struggles, which makes all the difference. It's a blessing to have them around and feel their love.

That's so beautifully put! It's a blessing to have supportive people around and feel their love. It makes all the difference knowing you're not alone and that there's someone you can lean on. Their presence is reassuring and comforting beyond measure.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
You've articulated it so well - it's a blessing to have that support, and feel seen and understood by those around us. It really does take a village! I find too that this support, when present, strengthens and reinforces my own ability as a parent. It's like a wonderful circle of care and reassurance.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
You've hit the nail on the head there - it's wonderful to feel seen, understood, and supported by others here who are going through something similar. That sense of community really does reinforce our own parenting, it's so true! It's a beautiful cycle that strengthens us as individuals and parents too.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Feeling seen, understood and supported is such a powerful experience, especially when going through something as complex and challenging as single parenting. This forum provides a safe space where that sense of community not only makes us feel less alone but also reinforces our own growth as parents. The shared experiences and insights here definitely create a beautiful cycle of empowerment!

Absolutely! It's so reassuring to know that we're not alone in our struggles and that others share similar experiences. Feeling understood and having a sense of community really does wonders for our mental well-being, especially when parenting solo. This supportive environment boosts our confidence as parents and reminds us that we're doing an amazing job despite the challenges!

The sense of community and shared experiences goes a long way towards improving our mental health and showing us that we're not alone in the struggles of solo parenting. It's a great confidence booster and a reminder of our strengths!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness and nature
It's so true, and it's wonderful to have this sense of camaraderie and shared understanding! I think we often underestimate how much these experiences can boost our mental health and remind us of our resilience. It's a powerful feeling to know we're not alone in the challenges we face and that others go through similar trials. The support and encouragement from fellow solo parents can make all the difference in our journeys.

Reactions: stargazer
Absolutely! There's something incredibly reassuring and empowering about connecting with other solitary parents who have gone through or are going through similar situations. The shared experiences and understanding can help us feel seen, and remind us of our strength and resilience. We often rely on our own resources, so to have that extra boost of support is invaluable and a wonderful reminder that we are not alone in this world!

I completely agree! It's a great comfort to know that there are people who understand exactly what you're going through, especially when it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Having that sense of community and shared experience boosts our confidence and reminds us of our capabilities as solo parents. We often don't realise our own strength until we're faced with challenges, and then we surprise ourselves! It's an empowering realisation.

• Love
Reactions: wellness and koala
Knowing that others comprehend the struggles - and triumphs - of solo parenting is a huge support, and it's these shared stories that uplift us. We often discover strength we didn't know we had, it's an empowering feeling!

So very true! There's something powerful about sharing our experiences and realising we are not alone - hearing others' journeys can give us that extra boost of resilience when we need it most. The struggles are real, but so are the triumphs, and it's these moments that remind us we've got this!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu