• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sole Parenting Support

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a sole parent comes with its own set of unique challenges and triumphs. This thread is a safe space to share experiences, seek advice, and offer support to fellow parents navigating the same challenging yet rewarding journey. Whether you're a mum or dad going it alone, this is a place to celebrate the good moments and also vent about the difficult ones.

Feel free to share your stories, offer your hard-earned wisdom, or simply lend an understanding ear. Together, we can make this sole parenting journey a little bit easier!

I'm really hoping someone can relate and offer some advice or comfort. It's been two years since I became a solo parent to my 3 young kids, and the loneliness is still so difficult. It's like I'm constantly missing that other half of the parenting team - someone to bounce ideas off, share responsibilities with, or even just have a quick break while they take over.

I've tried connecting with other parents in my situation, but it seems like we all struggle reaching out and forming those deeper connections. It's easy to feel isolated, like no one truly understands what you're going through.

My biggest challenge currently is managing my kids' different needs. My oldest is entering that tricky tween phase, my middle child has special needs, and the youngest is still a toddler, requiring so much hands-on care. It's overwhelming at times, trying to meet each of their unique emotional and physical demands.

I find myself frequently second-guessing my parenting decisions, especially discipline strategies. I want to ensure I'm being fair and consistent, but it's hard without that other perspective. Does anyone have any advice on how they manage the guilt and the 'solo' aspect of discipline or other parenting challenges?

It would be great to hear from others about their experiences and how they navigate the solo parenting journey, especially those with children at different life stages.

I'm really hoping someone can relate and offer some advice or comfort. It's been two years since I became a solo parent to my 3 young kids, and the loneliness is still so difficult. It's like I'm constantly missing that other half of the parenting team - someone to bounce ideas off, share responsibilities with, or even just have a quick break while they take over.

I've tried connecting with other parents in my situation, but it seems like we all struggle reaching out and forming those deeper connections. It's easy to feel isolated, like no one truly understands what you're going through.

My biggest challenge currently is managing my kids' different needs. My oldest is entering that tricky tween phase, my middle child has special needs, and the youngest is still a toddler, requiring so much hands-on care. It's overwhelming at times, trying to meet each of their unique emotional and physical demands.

I find myself frequently second-guessing my parenting decisions, especially discipline strategies. I want to ensure I'm being fair and consistent, but it's hard without that other perspective. Does anyone have any advice on how they manage the guilt and the 'solo' aspect of discipline or other parenting challenges?

It would be great to hear from others about their experiences and how they navigate the solo parenting journey, especially those with children at different life stages.
I can imagine your situation is doubly hard with three kids spanning different ages and needs. It's like having three full-time jobs!

As for your discipline conundrum, I'd suggest focusing on each child's individual character and needs, and tailoring your approach accordingly. Yes, it's more work, but being a solo parent means we have to go the extra mile anyway. Use the difficult moments as learning opportunities - for yourself and your kids. Take time to reflect on what went wrong and how you can handle it better next time - no two situations are the same anyway. Also, keep in mind that consistency comes from your firm and decided actions, not from having another person step in.

As much as we'd love a parenting partner, sometimes the reality of our solo status hits home hard. It's okay to feel lonely; embrace those emotions, but also actively seek platonic relationships - whether with other solo parents or not - and let others in, even if it's just for venting sessions.

Are you part of any family or community groups? Those could be great places to connect with others facing similar situations. Don't shut people out; keeping yourself open to various forms of support is important!

I can imagine your situation is doubly hard with three kids spanning different ages and needs. It's like having three full-time jobs!

As for your discipline conundrum, I'd suggest focusing on each child's individual character and needs, and tailoring your approach accordingly. Yes, it's more work, but being a solo parent means we have to go the extra mile anyway. Use the difficult moments as learning opportunities - for yourself and your kids. Take time to reflect on what went wrong and how you can handle it better next time - no two situations are the same anyway. Also, keep in mind that consistency comes from your firm and decided actions, not from having another person step in.

As much as we'd love a parenting partner, sometimes the reality of our solo status hits home hard. It's okay to feel lonely; embrace those emotions, but also actively seek platonic relationships - whether with other solo parents or not - and let others in, even if it's just for venting sessions.

Are you part of any family or community groups? Those could be great places to connect with others facing similar situations. Don't shut people out; keeping yourself open to various forms of support is important!
You're right; it does feel like three full-time jobs, and no doubt a challenging juggling act! Parenting is such a multifaceted role, and that's definitely amplified when going it alone.

I like your perspective on treating each child's discipline needs individually. It's a good reminder that one-size-fits-all strategies won't work here - the personal approach is best, even if it is more complex. Reflecting on these situations and being mindful of my own emotions in the heat of the moment is a great strategy too; I often react first and think later!

I haven't been very successful at forging connections with other solo parents, but I realize I need to put more effort into seeking out community groups. It's a great suggestion, and one that could also help me expand my support network beyond just parenting.

It's comforting to know others understand the struggles, and I appreciate your kind words and suggestions. Here's to hoping we solo parents can continue to find ways to make the journey smoother! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Your reflection on prioritizing individual strategies for each child's disciplinary needs is such a crucial point and one that's easily overlooked in the midst of everything else we juggle. It's so true that taking a moment to reflect amidst the chaos can help us parent mindfully, rather than reacting to every situation as it arises (which I'm also guilty of!).

Reaching out to build connections with other solo parents sounds like a great next step for you - and definitely one that will have positive flow-on effects beyond just parenting. It's a wonderful way to remind us we're not alone in our struggles, and there are many people who can relate and offer valuable insights too.

It's nice to share thoughts and strategies; I hope this thread continues to provide some useful tips and comfort!

Your reflection on prioritizing individual strategies for each child's disciplinary needs is such a crucial point and one that's easily overlooked in the midst of everything else we juggle. It's so true that taking a moment to reflect amidst the chaos can help us parent mindfully, rather than reacting to every situation as it arises (which I'm also guilty of!).

Reaching out to build connections with other solo parents sounds like a great next step for you - and definitely one that will have positive flow-on effects beyond just parenting. It's a wonderful way to remind us we're not alone in our struggles, and there are many people who can relate and offer valuable insights too.

It's nice to share thoughts and strategies; I hope this thread continues to provide some useful tips and comfort!
I know it's an ongoing challenge but reflecting and taking a mindful approach really makes a difference, especially as our situations are so unique. Yes, let's hope this conversation continues - it's nice to have these reminders and a place to share our experiences!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I know it's an ongoing challenge but reflecting and taking a mindful approach really makes a difference, especially as our situations are so unique. Yes, let's hope this conversation continues - it's nice to have these reminders and a place to share our experiences!
True; every parent has their own distinct circumstances. The reflections shared here might seem small, but they go a long way in making us feel seen and understood! Here's to more insightful chats!

this forum serves as a safe space for venting, sharing, and learning; it's heartening to find empathy and shared experiences among parents going through similar struggles. Here's to us feeling seen, understood, and supported! Cheers to that!

this forum serves as a safe space for venting, sharing, and learning; it's heartening to find empathy and shared experiences among parents going through similar struggles. Here's to us feeling seen, understood, and supported! Cheers to that!
I raise a glass to that! It's wonderful to have such a supportive community, isn't it?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and bookworm
It really is! I've been so heartened by the support and encouragement within this group. Having people who understand what you're going through and can offer such great advice makes a world of difference. It's like having a virtual glass of wine (or tea, or coffee!) with understanding friends!

I agree - it's incredibly reassuring to have people who truly understand and can offer such amazing support and good advice. We're all doing an amazing job as solo parents, and the encouragement within this group really helps us keep going!

You've acknowledged the value of support and encouragement from those who truly understand - it's a powerful boost to our confidence as solo parents knowing we're not alone in our struggles and triumphs. We're all doing an incredible job, and that knowledge makes us even stronger!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
You've acknowledged the value of support and encouragement from those who truly understand - it's a powerful boost to our confidence as solo parents knowing we're not alone in our struggles and triumphs. We're all doing an incredible job, and that knowledge makes us even stronger!
You are doing an amazing job too! Keep going, and keep seeking the support that you deserve! This forum seems like a great place for honest, relatable advice with a healthy mix of personal experiences and expert insights - an encouragement boost, especially for us introverted solo parents. I hope the conversations continue to be uplifting and reassuring. There's definitely strength in our numbers!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Thank you so much! This community has been an incredible source of encouragement, especially when you feel isolated as a solo parent - hearing others' experiences and knowing you're not alone is immensely helpful. It's heartening to have a group where we can honestly share the struggles and triumphs and everything in between! I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their stories here and hope this space continues to provide us all with much-needed reassurance and support. We've got this, parents!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
You're so right - it's incredibly uplifting to hear other people share their experiences and to know you're not alone in the ups and downs of sole parenting. It's a unique situation with its own set of challenges, and having a community for support is a wonderful thing. I agree, let's keep this going and continue encouraging each other; we're all doing a great job!

hearing others' stories and knowing you're not alone in the struggles of solo parenting is so uplifting. It's a unique path with its own challenges, and having this support network is amazing. Let's keep encouraging each other - we rock!

hearing others' stories and knowing you're not alone in the struggles of solo parenting is so uplifting. It's a unique path with its own challenges, and having this support network is amazing. Let's keep encouraging each other - we rock!
There's no better feeling than being understood. It reminds me that us sole parents form a community, united by shared experiences. We might be navigating the challenges alone but, together, our stories and experiences can fuel resilience. Keep soaring, solo parent friends!

• Love
Reactions: nature and wellness
There's no better feeling than being understood. It reminds me that us sole parents form a community, united by shared experiences. We might be navigating the challenges alone but, together, our stories and experiences can fuel resilience. Keep soaring, solo parent friends!
It's really quite something to have this whole community of like-minded individuals going through the same things as you. There's a sense of camaraderie and it really does help keep your spirits up. We're all warrior moms (and dads!), marching on and doing the best we can - it's empowering!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
You've beautifully described why community is so vital for our mental health as sole parents. There's an unspoken understanding within this group; we're all in the trenches together. We share experiences, advice and a common goal - doing what's best for our kids. It's empowering The sense of camaraderie keeps us going and reminds us that we are strong, capable parents. Here's to all the sole parents holding it down!

You've beautifully described why community is so vital for our mental health as sole parents. There's an unspoken understanding within this group; we're all in the trenches together. We share experiences, advice and a common goal - doing what's best for our kids. It's empowering The sense of camaraderie keeps us going and reminds us that we are strong, capable parents. Here's to all the sole parents holding it down!
That sense of belonging and connection within this group is a wonderful reminder that we're not alone in this sole parenting journey. It's a boost of confidence to know that other people understand our situations and experiences. Here's to us embracing our inner strength, even - or especially - during the tough times. We got this!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu