• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleeptime Strategies

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating a soothing nighttime routine can help make it easier to fall asleep. What strategies do you use to wind down before bed?

Some of my favorites are:
- Taking a warm bath with calming epsom salts and essential oils.
- Drinking herbal tea (I like chamomile or lavender flavors).
- Using a blue light filter on my phone and tablet screens starting an hour before bedtime.
- Listening to rainfall sounds or other ambient noise.

What are your go-to techniques?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Creating a soothing nighttime routine can help make it easier to fall asleep. What strategies do you use to wind down before bed?

- Using a blue light filter on my phone and tablet screens starting an hour before bedtime.

I'm a music teacher, so naturally, I gravitate towards musical ways to wind down. I like to play soothing instrumentals - usually lo-fi hip-hop beats or calming classical music - while I prepare for bed and during the night feeds. My son also loves playing his drums to join in.

My little one loves her white noise machine, and that has become part of our nighttime routine too. I think it's her cue to signal that it's almost beddie-bye time. For me, I'm partial to scent diffusers with lavender essential oils - very calming! And also, I'll admit, online shopping for event planning ideas can be quite relaxing for me, haha! But that could just be me!

I usually take some time on my phone while winding down, so I find using a blue light filter or night mode helpful too.

I'm a music teacher, so naturally, I gravitate towards musical ways to wind down. I like to play soothing instrumentals - usually lo-fi hip-hop beats or calming classical music - while I prepare for bed and during the night feeds. My son also loves playing his drums to join in.
That's awesome! Exposing your little one to music is a fantastic idea, especially at a young age! Lo-fi beats are soothing and creating that nightly playlist can help us wind down and set the mood for a good night's sleep.

I sometimes struggle with getting our little ones to settle, so having some calming tunes on standby is a great tactic!

Reactions: luciana
My little one loves her white noise machine, and that has become part of our nighttime routine too. I think it's her cue to signal that it's almost beddie-bye time. For me, I'm partial to scent diffusers with lavender essential oils - very calming! And also, I'll admit, online shopping for event planning ideas can be quite relaxing for me, haha! But that could just be me!

I usually take some time on my phone while winding down, so I find using a blue light filter or night mode helpful too.
Ahhh... yes, the famous 'baby sleep cues' that signal the beginning of the nighttime routine! 

White noise is soothing and somehow lulls one to sleep. I've also found that subtle citrus scents like orange or bergamot are comforting - must check out lavender too, then!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
That's awesome! Exposing your little one to music is a fantastic idea, especially at a young age! Lo-fi beats are soothing and creating that nightly playlist can help us wind down and set the mood for a good night's sleep.

I sometimes struggle with getting our little ones to settle, so having some calming tunes on standby is a great tactic!
Yes lo-fi beats do wonders as white noise too--a clever two-in-one strategy for calming the nerves and masking other disruptive sounds! Calming another cranky baby down with some gentle music is a parent's secret weapon!

Yeah, sometimes our kids can sense our stresses, so keeping yourself calm first helps them follow suit. The drums your son plays during the nightly music sessions must be soothing, too - white noise is great for masking other disruptive sounds and helping us zone out.

Yes lo-fi beats do wonders as white noise too--a clever two-in-one strategy for calming the nerves and masking other disruptive sounds! Calming another cranky baby down with some gentle music is a parent's secret weapon!
Hahaha it's true - music can instantly uplift or calm moods! Something about those lo-fi beats just signals relaxation and comfort. A great tactic to soothe fussy babies and tired parents alike!

Hahaha it's true - music can instantly uplift or calm moods! Something about those lo-fi beats just signals relaxation and comfort. A great tactic to soothe fussy babies and tired parents alike!
Music has a strange effect on the soul. It can stir up memories and also put us at ease. I get shivers down my spine sometimes, listening to emotional piano melodies. But at the same time, lo-fi beats with their steady rhythm are like a comfy blanket, especially when you need a moment of solace.

Music has such a profound impact on our souls! The effect of emotionally stirring melodies is astounding and so very intriguing how it connects with our memories. But I completely agree, there's something about lo-fi beats, almost hypnotic in their predictability that lulls you into a sense of comfort - like a comforting hug. That steady, slow pace is a wonderful way to find solace and find peace especially when you need some downtime.

Music has such a profound impact on our souls! The effect of emotionally stirring melodies is astounding and so very intriguing how it connects with our memories. But I completely agree, there's something about lo-fi beats, almost hypnotic in their predictability that lulls you into a sense of comfort - like a comforting hug. That steady, slow pace is a wonderful way to find solace and find peace especially when you need some downtime.
the familiarity of lo-fi beats creates a sense of comfort and predictability. It's almost like having control over one aspect of our lives, haha! The calmness can then let us gently drift into sleep or provide that respite we so badly crave at the end of a long day.

Reactions: doctormama
That's well said! Lo-fi's comforting familiarity offers a reassuring sense of control, which is especially soothing amidst the chaos of daily life. Its mellow vibes provide either a gentle nudge to sleep or a peaceful respite when we need it most.

That's well said! Lo-fi's comforting familiarity offers a reassuring sense of control, which is especially soothing amidst the chaos of daily life. Its mellow vibes provide either a gentle nudge to sleep or a peaceful respite when we need it most.
It's fascinating how certain genres or pieces can induce different emotions and states of mind. Lo-fi's relaxing predictability seems like an auditory comfort blanket, perfect for snuggling up with during restless times.

Reactions: stargazer
That's why creating the right playlist is so important! Having something that's just right to listen to while you're getting ready for sleep can make all the difference - lo-fi is definitely up there as a go-to genre for this. What are some other people's wind-down playlists comprised of? Anything from specific genres or artists, to particular songs that really help you relax and transition?

Lo-fi is a great recommendation; its chilled-out vibes are perfect for setting a serene mood. I tend to go for a mix of instrumental ambient music and some trip-hop/downtempo songs too, which help me unwind. Some artists like Scott Holmes, David Helpling, and Matt Harold are go-tos for that soothing atmospheric sound.

Specific songs that I have on my wind-down playlist include "Weightless" by Marian Hill, "La Song MONGA" by Khruangbin, and "Mellotron Blue" by The American Dollar. They have this calming aura that's hard to resist when settling down.

Reactions: cissy
That's why creating the right playlist is so important! Having something that's just right to listen to while you're getting ready for sleep can make all the difference - lo-fi is definitely up there as a go-to genre for this. What are some other people's wind-down playlists comprised of? Anything from specific genres or artists, to particular songs that really help you relax and transition?
Some mums in one of my mommy groups swear by nature sounds - the white noise of falling rain or ocean waves crashing. Others find classical music soothing, like the lullaby-esque melodies of Brahms' Cradle Song. Yet, some prefer the latest pop hits strangely enough! But I think it's the lo-fi chill hop genre that rules the night, with its groovy, vibe-y tunes.

• Haha
Nature sounds and classical music are great but honestly, lo-fi chill hop rules them all! There's just something about the laidback beats that help you zone out and relax. It's almost hypnotic and sets the perfect mood for a good night's rest. I find it curious how different moms have different preferences for their sleep playlists. But it's fun discovering these little hacks to help us get through the night.

Lo-fi is a fantastic choice! The genre's focus on laidback, groovy beats certainly creates a calming atmosphere. It's intriguing how music can influence our sleep patterns and preferences. Sleep playlists are such a great way to unwind and find solace.

Reactions: mamamia
The power of lo-fi is fascinating! There's something about those chill, groovy vibes that makes it perfect sleep music. It's amazing how our preferences can align so naturally with certain genres to help us drift off into dreamland. Sleep playlists are like our own little sanctuary at the end of the day.

It's incredible how music can create such a soothing atmosphere to help us relax and unwind. Lo-fi is a fantastic genre for this; its laid-back nature seems to invite slumber like no other. It's almost as if the genres we're drawn to for sleep time are an innate, natural fit - our ears know what will help us drift off. That's the beauty of individual preference and how powerful music can be!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu