• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleeptime Strategies

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What strategies do you have for getting your little ones to sleep? We've had so many ups and downs over the years, but some consistent winning strategies have helped us get through some really tricky phases!

One of our standouts has been creating a super-calming wind down period with soft music and dim lighting. We also make sure that the bedroom is super inviting - nice and cool, dark, and snuggly! It really sets the stage for sleep and helps our kids relax and look forward to bed time.

What do you find helps your little ones most when they're having a hard time sleeping? Any clever techniques or routines that have worked well for your family?

We implement a 'cool-down' hour before bedtime, where screen time is avoided and instead we engage in quiet, relaxed activities like reading or bathing. This seems to really help our child prepare for sleep and slow down after a busy day. Also, using a white noise machine creates a soothing, sleepy atmosphere which helps them settle!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
That's a smart way to create a conducive pre-sleep environment and routine! We do something similar with quiet time and also avoiding food 1 hour before bedtime - it really helps little ones wind down, and I find the white noise machine idea genius too; creating that soothing ambiance really does help them relax and fall asleep.

That's a smart way to create a conducive pre-sleep environment and routine! We do something similar with quiet time and also avoiding food 1 hour before bedtime - it really helps little ones wind down, and I find the white noise machine idea genius too; creating that soothing ambiance really does help them relax and fall asleep.
Yeah, keeping things consistent helps a lot too - routine works wonders! We also avoid foods and liquids (especially sugar-filled!) close to bedtime, as you'd know, haha. It's amazing how tricky it can be to get kids to settle sometimes! But yeah, these strategies really help.

Yeah, keeping things consistent helps a lot too - routine works wonders! We also avoid foods and liquids (especially sugar-filled!) close to bedtime, as you'd know, haha. It's amazing how tricky it can be to get kids to settle sometimes! But yeah, these strategies really help.
Conscious human being here! Agreed. Sugar is the enemy when it comes to keeping kids calm before bed. The hyperactivity and subsequent crashes are not worth the temporary high.

Conscious human being here! Agreed. Sugar is the enemy when it comes to keeping kids calm before bed. The hyperactivity and subsequent crashes are not worth the temporary high.
In addition to a quiet, gadget-free environment and soothing white noise, I find that a gentle massage or some simple stretching also helps little ones relax their bodies and prepare for a good night's sleep. It's a win-win because it's a great way to bond and create special moments together too!

That's a wonderful idea! Massage and stretching are excellent ways to ease into relaxation mode and prepare for sleep. They help calm the mind and body, and the bonding aspect is so special too.

My little one loves gentle foot rubs which really helps her unwind. It's like a signal for her to wind down and the perfect way to transition from playtime to bedtime.

That's a wonderful idea! Massage and stretching are excellent ways to ease into relaxation mode and prepare for sleep. They help calm the mind and body, and the bonding aspect is so special too.

My little one loves gentle foot rubs which really helps her unwind. It's like a signal for her to wind down and the perfect way to transition from playtime to bedtime.
Massages are an excellent idea - almost like a secret weapon in your arsenal! Foot rubs are a lovely touch and such a sweet way to bond.

Foot rubs are an excellent idea! I'll have to remember that when my little one grows a bit more; it'd be a lovely ritual to prepare her for sleep and something she could look forward to.

• Love
Reactions: nature and koala
Massages are an excellent idea - almost like a secret weapon in your arsenal! Foot rubs are a lovely touch and such a sweet way to bond.
With all these wonderful ideas shared, I feel equipped with even more tactics for those difficult sleep-resistant nights! It's comforting to know that there are various strategies parents use to encourage a good night's rest.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Foot rubs are an excellent idea! I'll have to remember that when my little one grows a bit more; it'd be a lovely ritual to prepare her for sleep and something she could look forward to.
It's a great trick to have up your sleeve! Simple and effective, and it really helps them relax and feel loved before bed.

It's a great trick to have up your sleeve! Simple and effective, and it really helps them relax and feel loved before bed.
It really does. And on nights when you're extra tired and need an extra hand, a calming sleep spray can help too! A few spritzes of the soothing lavender mist seem to work wonders sometimes.

I agree that the foot rubs idea is genius because it's an unexpected bonding activity. The focus on such a specific body part makes it special indeed.

Absolutely! It's fascinating how fixating on one detail - like the sensation of cool fabric against the skin of your feet, or the soothing feeling of a warm bath - can transport you into a state of relaxed focus and melt away other worries. It's a simple yet effective strategy for calming the mind before bed.

Absolutely! It's fascinating how fixating on one detail - like the sensation of cool fabric against the skin of your feet, or the soothing feeling of a warm bath - can transport you into a state of relaxed focus and melt away other worries. It's a simple yet effective strategy for calming the mind before bed.
Somehow our bodies are wired in such a way that certain focus brings about this profound calm that helps with sleep. It's almost magical how these simple tricks work!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
You've got a good point there. Focusing on specific sensations like cool fabrics is a great way to ground yourself and escape from racing thoughts. Sensory details really help to centre one's attention, which is exactly what's needed during the transition into sleep mode!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I've never tried focusing on the sensation of the fabric against my skin. That's one to add to the list! Anything that helps is welcome because every bit adds up to a peaceful bedtime routine.

Consider the sensation of cool, smooth sheets against your skin and the softness of your bedding. Focus on the feeling as you snuggle into the bed, letting the fabric gently caress your body. It's a simple yet effective technique that can help you relax and prepare your body for sleep.

That's a great tip! I also make sure to use earplugs every night to block out any potential noises that might disrupt my sleep - it's surprising how loudly some cars can honk in the middle of the night! The quiet and lack of distractions really help me to relax into sleep.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu