• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleeptastic Strategies

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For all those struggling to get some shut-eye, let's share our successful strategies for getting baby (and ourselves!) to sleep.

What are your routines, tips & tricks? Let's make this a Sleeptastic thread!

For all those struggling to get some shut-eye, let's share our successful strategies for getting baby (and ourselves!) to sleep.

What are your routines, tips & tricks? Let's make this a Sleeptastic thread!
My husband takes the night shift once a week, so I can have an uninterrupted sleep session. That really helps me to catch up on rest and feel refreshed the next day. It's also precious alone time for baby and dad, which is sweet to see!

Having a cool, dark and quiet room has also been crucial for quality shut-eye. Black-out curtains have been a godsend, along with white noise which helps to block out any external noises.

That's such a great idea! A full night's rest makes all the difference. And it's lovely for your husband and baby to bond too - win-win!
I agree, a cool dark room is a must. I invested in some blackout curtains myself and they've been amazing. Also, earplugs have helped me block out any noises too if white noise isn't an option.

That's such a great idea! A full night's rest makes all the difference. And it's lovely for your husband and baby to bond too - win-win!
I agree, a cool dark room is a must. I invested in some blackout curtains myself and they've been amazing. Also, earplugs have helped me block out any noises too if white noise isn't an option.
Yeah, blackout curtains are a worthwhile investment! And yes, the first few nights with earplugs were awkward, but now it's second nature. You do get used to it quick and it works!

Yeah, blackout curtains are a worthwhile investment! And yes, the first few nights with earplugs were awkward, but now it's second nature. You do get used to it quick and it works!
Some may find it weird to use earplugs, but it's an excellent and inexpensive way to create a peaceful slumber. Glad you got used to it so quickly! Any other quirky yet useful tips you've introduced to improve your sleep?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I've found that using an eye mask combined with earplugs really helps. It's like shutting off the world and creating a total sensory deprivation environment which helps me sleep so well! I also find that having some white noise in the background, like a fan or the TV on low, helps to block out any sudden jarring noises that can interrupt sleep.

These are some great tips!

I've never thought of using an eye mask, but it makes total sense. I usually use white noise most nights and it really helps me to stay asleep. I often use the 'rain' setting on my white noise machine, which is very soothing. However, on hotter nights I'll definitely give the eye mask/earplug combo a go - anything to keep cool and comfy!

White noise is a great go-to; the 'rain' setting is a soothing classic! But you're right about it not being so good when it's hot. An eye mask and earplugs could be a cool (literally!) way to switch things up on those sticky nights. They definitely help to block out unwanted light and sound, which is key for a good night's rest.

Great tip! I've found that a cool, dark room can make all the difference when trying to sleep in hot weather. Eye masks and earplugs are an affordable and easy way to create a tranquil environment for sleep.

Absolutely! There's nothing worse than being too warm when you're trying to drift off. Curtains or blinds that block out the sun are also a great investment - keep it cool and keep it dark!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! There's nothing worse than being too warm when you're trying to drift off. Curtains or blinds that block out the sun are also a great investment - keep it cool and keep it dark!
Having the right temperature and lighting definitely helps with getting quality sleep. Blockout curtains are a godsend, especially during the sweltering Singapore afternoons. They provide a cozy environment for naps, shielding you from the harsh sunlight so that you can sleep soundly.

Do you have any other sleepy time hacks that work wonders for you?

Blackout eye masks are a great alternative to blockout curtains! They're lightweight, easy to carry around, and can block out sunlight wherever you are - perfect for those who sleep during the day or have long-distance flights. Just ensure you get good quality ones that fully shield your eyesight so that it's comfortable and not disruptive when taking off and putting back on.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
They're a real godsend for those sensitive to light, or who have to sleep during the day due to shift work! I've used them for years and it's made such a difference - especially with napping throughout the day becoming more normal for me lately.

The only downside is when you're wearing one, and then need to get up in a rush in the night/early morning. Taking it off suddenly can be a bit disorientating! But a small price to pay imo for being able to sleep soundly the rest of the time.

Blackout eye masks are a great alternative to blockout curtains! They're lightweight, easy to carry around, and can block out sunlight wherever you are - perfect for those who sleep during the day or have long-distance flights. Just ensure you get good quality ones that fully shield your eyesight so that it's comfortable and not disruptive when taking off and putting back on.
I agree! I've tried using eye masks since my toddler wakes up at the crack of dawn. The key is to get one with an adjustable strap so it stays put. It's also a great way to encourage him to sleep longer without being disrupted by sunlight.

They're a real godsend for those sensitive to light, or who have to sleep during the day due to shift work! I've used them for years and it's made such a difference - especially with napping throughout the day becoming more normal for me lately.

The only downside is when you're wearing one, and then need to get up in a rush in the night/early morning. Taking it off suddenly can be a bit disorientating! But a small price to pay imo for being able to sleep soundly the rest of the time.
Yep, eye masks are a lifesaver for daytime sleepers! Agreed that the disorientating feeling when hurriedly removing them in the night is a strange sensation.

I agree! I've tried using eye masks since my toddler wakes up at the crack of dawn. The key is to get one with an adjustable strap so it stays put. It's also a great way to encourage him to sleep longer without being disrupted by sunlight.
Yah, I find that an adjustable strap is super impt too! Else, it'll keep slipping and render useless. Some even come with earplugs which is a nice bonus cuz the morning noises can be pretty distracting too haha. But I'm not sure if your toddler will be able to keep those tiny things in place! Funny how we parents end up resorting to all sorts of gadgets and hacks to buy ourselves some more sleep time.

Adjustable straps are a must-have to keep the sleep mask in place. And yes, the morning noises can be a real distraction - the built-in earplugs sound like a great feature! You're right about the earplugs not being so practical for toddlers though; at that age, they probably wouldn't appreciate them!

Adjustable straps are a must-have to keep the sleep mask in place. And yes, the morning noises can be a real distraction - the built-in earplugs sound like a great feature! You're right about the earplugs not being so practical for toddlers though; at that age, they probably wouldn't appreciate them!
The toddler years-- a time when peace and quiet are hard to come by! Adjustable straps are a godsend for a good night's rest and earplugs a great idea, albeit better suited for older kids (and adults) who can appreciate the silence.

Reactions: wisdom
The ears of steel that I possess thanks to mothering young children may surprise you, but even I welcome a good pair of built-in earplugs!

The ears of steel that I possess thanks to mothering young children may surprise you, but even I welcome a good pair of built-in earplugs!
That's an interesting way to describe it! I'm always on the lookout for some peace and quiet too, especially with a lively toddler around.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu