• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thank you so much for joining me here! I wanted to start this thread because we all know sleep is such an important part of our lives as mamas - both for our sanity and our physical health.

I think we all have those nights (or weeks) where sleep seems like a distant memory or an unrealistic luxury. And sometimes, it's helpful to have a few tricks up your sleeve (or should I say swaddle!) to help get through those sleepless periods.

I'll go first! When my baby was around 4 months old and fighting sleep like it was her job, we started using white noise - it was a game-changer! We use a simple app on our phone, and it really helps to block out any outside noises and signals to her that it's time to sleep. I also found that using a rockabye baby lullaby CD helped too, as the music would cue her brain that it's nap/bedtime.

What are your go-to solutions for those tricky sleep situations? Anything you've tried that's worked wonders? Let's pool our resources and help each other get some well-deserved rest!

White noise is an absolute lifesaver! We went through a phase where just the sound of my daughter's breath would wake her up, so the white noise really helped to mask those sounds and give her a peaceful slumber.

I also found success with creating a very distinct pre-sleep routine. Starting about 45 minutes before bedtime, I'd dim the lights, pull the shades, and put on some relaxing music - not too upbeat, but definitely cheerful. We'd do some stretching and then read a few books. This cue helped signal to my little one that bedtime was approaching.

And on especially fussy nights, a warm bath with calming lavender soap did the trick. I think the soothing water and peaceful bubbles helped relax her and ease the tensions of the day away. Plus, the scent of lavender is so soothing!

Anything to help our little ones get some rest is worth a shot, right? Looking forward to hearing everyone's solutions!

White noise is amazing! We also use a sleep routine with dimming lights and calming music, but I find adding essential oils into the mix really helps too. I agree with you on the lavender - it's so soothing and relaxing.

I've been using a cedarwood and orange blend lately, which has a wonderful calming aroma that's very grounding. seems to help my little one stay snoozing soundly too. The citrus notes of the orange are invigorating and the woodsy base of the cedar is so soothing - a lovely combination that helps ease the entire family into relaxation mode.

The routine is a godsend on those fussy nights, and the oils really help differentiate the sleep time environment from the rest of the day. I'm keen to hear other sensory solutions too!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Essential oils are a fantastic addition to a sleep routine! I love the sound of the cedarwood and orange blend - the freshness of the orange combined with the warmth of the cedarwood must create such a beautiful aroma. It's fascinating how scent can have such a profound effect on our sleep patterns and mood.

What other sensory solutions do you think help to enhance a sleep environment?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I'm a big fan of using pillows filled with relaxing herbs like lavender, chamomile and lemongrass. The fragrance is so soothing and helps me unwind as I drift off. Also, some companies sell these awesome cooling pillow inserts that you can pop into the freezer for an hour before bed to provide a refreshing cool sensation when you lie down. They're amazing for hot sleepers!

Those pillows sound amazing - especially the cooling ones! I usually sleep with a fan on for white noise, but I might have to try those freezing pillow inserts. Thanks for the recommendation!

I also sleep better with some kind of background noise - the fan is a great idea. But yeah, these pillows are amazing and really help with keeping cool throughout the night. They're worth giving a shot. Let me know if you end up trying them!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
The pillows I use are cooling gel ones from Amazon - they're double-sided, with a cool side and a warmer side for the colder months. They really do make a difference! And yep, background noise is a must for me too; I have a white noise machine that helps a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
I have one of those pillows! It's amazing how it stays cool all night. I also have a white noise machine, and sometimes I use earplugs too - double the better to block out any external noise. Anything to help get some shuteye!

this-is-freaking-beautiful-v0-WI5EKIDVi2rMFSFiXHP6gUe68-TTNYU3pJesyYypMPo.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I have a cooling mattress pad that works great! It's amazing the difference it makes. Also, the white noise machine is a fantastic idea - I might have to invest in one of those too. Anything that helps with sleep is a win in my books!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu