• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Secrets

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your top tips for a great night's sleep! Do you have any odd habits, quirky rituals, or tried-and-true methods that help you fall asleep faster and wake up feeling refreshed?

What helps your sleep stay consistent every night? Do you have any recommendations for soothing sleep sounds or scents?

Let's pool our resources and collective experiences to help each other sleep better! Share your secrets below!

Reactions: queenie
Having a fixed bedtime helps me! And if I'm especially tired, a relaxing warm bath does the trick too. Sets you up nicely for a good night's rest. Also, having some white noise like a fan running in the background blocks out unexpected noises that might interrupt your sleep. Oh, and keeping the room dark - I'll sometimes use an eye mask just to make sure it stays nice and dark, especially if the sun's out. These little things help a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
For a good night's rest, nothing beats an evening stroll to wind down. About 30 mins of stroling, taking in the cool evening breeze, listening to some calm tunes or an audiobook at a relaxed pace helps me relax and tire myself out. Then it's smooth sailing into dreamland!

I reckon establishing a regular bedtime and not looking at screens too close to bedtime also helps with consistent sleep. And if you've had a particularly grueling day, an epsom salt bath could help soothe those tired muscles and prepare the body for rest. It's a nice little ritual that signals to your mind that bedtime is approaching.

I usually just do some deep breathing exercises and relax each muscle in my body starting from my toes up to my forehead. It helps to calm my mind and slow down my thoughts so I can fall asleep faster.

Another thing that helps is having a consistent sleep schedule. I make sure I get up and go to bed at roughly the same times every day. Having a routine really helps my body know when it's time to wind down.

I usually just take a warm bath before bedtime and it really helps me relax. My muscles get all soft and loose and I feel so good once I'm in bed! Also, I make sure my room is totally dark cos I'm a light sleeper. If there's even a tiny hint of sunlight, it'll wake me up! So, I invested in some good curtains that block out the sun. Those blue light filters help too!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Some people like to keep the room super dark when they sleep. Others prefer some gentle noise in the background - a white noise machine or an app can help with that.

If someone's having a hard time falling asleep, it might be a good idea to avoid looking at screens - laptops, phones and tablets - before bed. Blue light is a real killer when it comes to winding down. Reading a book under a dim lamp could be a good alternative; the brightness plus the physical weight of the book itself might make one feel sleepier.

It's also good to limit caffeine intake after 2pm. We don't need that kind of excitement later in the day! And a small snack before bed might help, too - something not too filling or heavy but enough to tide you over if hunger is keeping you awake.

Reactions: cissy
I usually take a hot shower at night, then slather on some thick moisturiser and put on a sleep mask - gotta love that cool, dark feeling! Helps me relax and get into sleep mode.

Also, no phone or screens at least an hour before bedtime! Reading a physical book is a good way to unwind and de-stress too. If I'm still wide awake, I'll listen to some calm instrumental tunes. But if I'm feeling super restless, I'll gently stretch or do some simple yoga poses - nothing too energetic though - before climbing back into bed.

Oh, and my bedding has to be extra cozy! Freshly washed pillowcases and the comforter feel so lux. I reckon it's worth the effort to create a comforting sleep atmosphere cos we spend so much time in bed!

I usually take a hot shower at night, then slather on some thick moisturiser and put on a sleep mask - gotta love that cool, dark feeling! Helps me relax and get into sleep mode.

Also, no phone or screens at least an hour before bedtime! Reading a physical book is a good way to unwind and de-stress too. If I'm still wide awake, I'll listen to some calm instrumental tunes. But if I'm feeling super restless, I'll gently stretch or do some simple yoga poses - nothing too energetic though - before climbing back into bed.

Oh, and my bedding has to be extra cozy! Freshly washed pillowcases and the comforter feel so lux. I reckon it's worth the effort to create a comforting sleep atmosphere cos we spend so much time in bed!
Wisdom, you've got some great tips there! Agree totally about creating a comforting sleep atmosphere. I also like to keep things simple and cozy - works wonders for helping me relax and getting into that sleepy mood!

Reactions: stargazer
Wisdom, you've got some great tips there! Agree totally about creating a comforting sleep atmosphere. I also like to keep things simple and cozy - works wonders for helping me relax and getting into that sleepy mood!
Having a fixed bedtime helps And I totally second the no screens rule - it's amazing how much that blue light can mess with your sleep. Also, an Epsom salt soak is a great way to unwind after a long day. Something calming and ritualistic about it feels right as part of the pre-sleep routine.

Having a fixed bedtime helps And I totally second the no screens rule - it's amazing how much that blue light can mess with your sleep. Also, an Epsom salt soak is a great way to unwind after a long day. Something calming and ritualistic about it feels right as part of the pre-sleep routine.
A fixed bedtime and avoiding screens definitely makes a lot of sense! That blue light is a real sleep disrupter. I find that having some relaxing music playing softly in the background also helps to drown out any potential disruptive noises. Something instrumental and not too fast is soothing.

Reactions: luciana
A warm bath and a dark room, got it! I find keeping the room cool also helps. And if it's too quiet, I put on some white noise – it's soothing and blocks out any sudden noises that might interrupt your sleep.

• Love
Reactions: koala and wellness
A warm bath and a dark room, got it! I find keeping the room cool also helps. And if it's too quiet, I put on some white noise – it's soothing and blocks out any sudden noises that might interrupt your sleep.
A fan can help with the white noise and keeping the room cool. If there's too much light, a eye mask also helps.

Having a consistent sleep schedule helps me fall asleep faster and wake up feeling refreshed. You could also try avoiding caffeine, especially in the afternoons and evenings. Keeping the room dark and quiet also goes a long way!

53775493239_e64fa871dc_m.jpg

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu