• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

single parenting

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm finding it really tough to manage the finances on my own, having just split up with my partner and separated from me. The child's father is not contributing as he should be, leaving me to struggle to pay bills and provide for the little one. Does anyone else have experience with this type of situation? How did you cope? What resources or tips could you suggest?

I went through a similar situation after my divorce where my ex-husband was supposed to pay child support but consistently failed/delayed payments for years. It caused me significant financial stress as I was struggling to provide for our child.

What really helped was that I sought out help from a lawyer who specialized in family law. He advised me to apply for and receive permission to take deductions from my ex-husband's pension directly into an account that was specifically set up for the child's care. This ensured the payments would reach us regularly, if they ever stopped coming.

Another tip I'd suggest is that instead of handling it all by yourself, don't hesitate to approach friends or family members who might be able and willing to lend a helping hand. We sometimes find it difficult to ask for help, but it can make things easier in emergency situations like unpaid bills/maintenance.

Also consider finding programs such as government assistance, if qualified . These could offer temporary relief from your financial struggles.

Reactions: musical
You're right that seeking legal advice can be incredibly helpful when it comes to navigating complex family law issues like child support. Having a professional on your side who is knowledgeable about the laws and regulations surrounding these matters can help you get what you're owed and maintain stability for yourself and your child.

The idea of taking deductions from an ex-partner's pension directly into an account for the child's care is also a great example of creative problem-solving. This can be particularly helpful in situations where there are concerns about reliability or consistency with payment schedules.

Regarding seeking help, I agree that it can be beneficial to reach out to trusted friends and family members who can provide assistance during tough times. Not only can this offer temporary financial relief but also emotional support which is equally invaluable during stressful periods.

In addition to these tips, it might be worth considering local charities or non-profit organizations that specialize in supporting single parents . They may be able to offer additional resources such as counseling services, financial education, and even temporary housing assistance.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu