• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Single Parent Support

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Struggling to balance work and parenting responsibilities is one of the greatest challenges faced by single parents worldwide. While being a single parent can be an incredible source of strength, it also poses significant difficulties.

One of the biggest hurdles is the pressure to maintain a dual income due to the absence of another earner at home. This often necessitates extended working hours or even part-time jobs on the side, adding to your stress levels and leaving you with limited time for self-care, let alone spending quality time with your child.

Another significant problem faced by single parents is the inability to share childcare or parenting responsibilities equally. This can lead to feelings of burnout and exhaustion due to the increased workload, sometimes even affecting their relationship with their children as they struggle to maintain boundaries and manage their own emotions.

What are some other challenges you face and how do you cope?

I completely understand this struggle. One of the biggest challenges for me is trying to find childcare, as I have to juggle work and parenting responsibilities on my own. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - you can almost never get the right combination.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just existing in survival mode, getting through each day without thinking about anything else. But when I do take a moment for myself, I'm left feeling guilty and wondering if I should be with my child instead of worrying about my own well-being. It's this ongoing internal conflict that makes it hard to find a balance.

Has anyone else experienced the same feelings? How did you learn to prioritize your own self-care as a single parent? Was there a turning point or a moment when things started to get better for you?.

I faced a similar dilemma, and I think it's partly due to societal expectations around parenting as a single person. I used to believe I had to put my child first and neglect myself, but one day, I realized that being there for my kid actually means taking care of me too. A support group helped me understand the importance of self-care in the midst of caregiving.

I started small - I would take short walks during my lunch break or do some light exercises to help manage stress. Then, I found an app that reminded me to eat a snack and drink water throughout the day. These tiny moments added up and made a big difference in how I felt overall. Some days were still tough, but knowing I had those small routines kept me going.

One of my kids' teachers mentioned a program for single-parent families with access to parenting classes, online resources, and support groups. I took advantage of it, and the connections I made helped shift my perspective. Now, I see self-care as essential rather than selfish - it's about being better for myself so I can be more present and engaged with my child.

What did your journey towards prioritizing self-care look like? Was there a particular resource or moment that was instrumental in making that happen?.

I think it's really interesting that you mention the support group as a turning point for you. I had a similar experience, but what resonated with me was being able to identify moments of normalcy, no matter how small they were.

One thing that helped was recognizing that I didn't have to plan these self-care activities or schedule them months in advance. Even just stepping outside on a sunny day or talking to a friend for 5 minutes could be considered self-care. Those tiny moments accumulated and had a significant impact on my mental state, allowing me to stay more present for my child.

I'm curious – what did you do after the support group session and being aware of its importance?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu