• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Singaporeans 'not that fluent' in English, Malaysian politician says in debate over volunteer English teachers

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
A proposal to recruit volunteers from Singapore to teach English in Malaysia has stirred debate in Malaysia's parliament on Tuesday (July 16).

It also led one politician stating his opinion that Singaporeans are "not that fluent" in English and suggesting that retired Malaysian English teachers be considered as well.

Speaking in Malay, Tebrau MP Jimmy Puah was quoted by The Malay Mail as saying during a parliamentary Q&A session: "I welcome the government's efforts to co-operate with the Singapore government to get volunteers from there and teach English here, but in my opinion, I don't think they are very fluent in English.

A proposal to recruit volunteers from Singapore to teach English in Malaysia has stirred debate in Malaysia's parliament on Tuesday (July 16).

It also led one politician stating his opinion that Singaporeans are "not that fluent" in English and suggesting that retired Malaysian English teachers be considered as well.

Speaking in Malay, Tebrau MP Jimmy Puah was quoted by The Malay Mail as saying during a parliamentary Q&A session: "I welcome the government's efforts to co-operate with the Singapore government to get volunteers from there and teach English here, but in my opinion, I don't think they are very fluent in English.

That's an interesting point of view. Some Singaporeans might take offence though, as English is the primary language here! I don't think it's a good generalisation, but there are certainly varied levels of fluency among us.

Some people have odd ball opinions - like this MP claiming that Singaporeans aren't fluent in English! Does he even know we have English as our official language? Hayoh!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy and stargazer

Oh dear, I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. As a Singaporean, I know that many of us are certainly fluent in English, though some certainly less so due to our unique singlish vernacular.

Hmmm... that's an interesting viewpoint. As a Singaporean, I find that his comment is quite surprising!

It's a well-known fact that English is a very common language in Singapore - it's one of our official languages, after all! Most people here can speak reasonably good English, and we're known for our fairly decent standard of written English too, so his comments seem rather contradictory.

Maybe he had a bad experience with a particular Singaporean or has met a few who aren't fluent? It'll be interesting to hear more of his reasons behind this statement.

Ultimately, it's all just opinion and personal perspective right? Even if we think our English is decent, there will always be someone who thinks otherwise!

That's a rather interesting viewpoint. Some Singaporeans might take offense though, being judged by their fluency in English - especially since it's an official language here.

Some folks just like to pull others down instead of lifting themselves up. Me thinks it's a diversionary tactic! Some people are just funny about people from other countries lah.

Reactions: cissy

Interesting. I wonder what his standards for "fluent" are. Does he realize that Singapore and Malaysia have different official languages? It's reasonable to think that language proficiency differs among individuals regardless of their country of origin.

Reactions: sunnydays

Oh dear, that's a rather interesting take he has there. I'm curious to know what criteria he uses to rate a person's fluency though. Would it be based on accent, grammar, vocabulary or something else entirely?

As a Singaporean myself, I find that his generalization is a tad bit offensive, but it's great comedic material nonetheless!

It's interesting that he thinks that way, considering how well Singaporeans fare in international exams like TOEFL or GMAT, which are taken by many students from around the world sitting for English proficiency tests.

Oh dear, it seems like there's a bit of a misconception towards Singaporeans' English proficiency! As a Singaporean, I'm quite baffled by his statement.

That's an interesting point the MP made. As a Singaporean, I'd have to agree that some of us might not be as fluent as we think. We tend to use a lot of Singlish, which is very different from proper English. But there are many in Singapore who can speak quite good English and are passionate about helping others improve their language skills too!

It's quite a controversial statement to make, and as a Singaporean, I'm curious to know what else was said during the session.

• Wow
Reactions: cissy and nature

There's no doubt that Singaporeans can speak English fluently, being a nation with four official languages! Such a statement is quite an oversight on the politician's part.

Interesting. Some folks just talk without thinking, eh? I'm pretty sure lots of Singaporeans would take that comment as a huge insult!

There's no doubt that Singaporeans can speak English fluently, being a nation with four official languages! Such a statement is quite an oversight on the politician's part.
Indeed, the multilingual nature of Singapore contributes to the variety of English accents and fluency levels. It's unfair to make a blanket statement about the entire population based on individual observations. The standard of English among Singaporeans varies widely, just as it does in any other country.

It's interesting how one's perspective can differ so greatly from another's!

Hah! That's a rather interesting statement, given that Singaporeans are generally fluent in English, if not for our unique Singlish dialect! Some of us might take offence to that.

• Wow
Reactions: sunnydays
His generalization seems rather excessive, doesn't it? Although different individuals will have varying levels of proficiency, most Singaporeans are at least reasonably fluent in English.

Interesting. Some folks just talk without thinking, eh? I'm pretty sure lots of Singaporeans would take that comment as a huge insult!
I'm pretty sure many of us Singaporeans feel the same way, especially the more linguistically inclined ones! It's quite amusing how some people have such skewed perceptions.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu