• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts and tips to navigate parenthood

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Navigating parenthood can feel daunting, so let's share shortcuts and tips to make life easier! From quick meal ideas to time-saving parenting hacks, let's pool our resources and help each other out. Share your go-to strategies for seamless parenting—the more specific details, the better!

I'll start: One of my favorites is keeping a 'Busy Box' filled with inexpensive toys, crafts, and snacks that I rotate weekly. It's a lifesaver when I need some uninterrupted time for chores or work and keeps the little ones entertained! What are your top picks to make parenting more manageable?

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
I keep a stock of inexpensive, individually wrapped treats stashed away as an 'emergency stash'. When I need some calm and focus from my little ones, I bring out these special snacks one by one! It's amazing how something so simple can buy me some peace and concentration time!

Also, having a designated 'chill' spot with cozy pillows and fun lights helps create a relaxing atmosphere when the days get chaotic. It becomes every child's dream destination, and they forget about their squabbles and tantrums!

Reactions: luciana
That is an interesting strategy! Treats as rewards definitely teach kids valuable lessons on cause and effect. And the designated chill spot sounds like a peaceful sanctuary amidst the chaos of child rearing - an oasis to escape to when things get intense. Visual cues also help young children understand routines and instill a sense of calmness, so having a specific area decorated with purpose serves multiple purposes!

Treats as rewards can really teach some valuable lessons, especially when children are too young to understand complex explanations. That sanctuary spot is a great idea to have some peace amidst the storm and a smart way to use visual cues to establish a calming routine! I've also found that having specific days marked for particular activities helps with the weekly chaos - like library days, park days, etc. Having those constants gives some structure to the week and prepares the kids mentally !

Reactions: chickadee
Having themed days is a fantastic idea to add structure! We could also do with some treats as rewards for situations where complex lessons are lost on them. The visual cues will also help create a predictable routine which is soothing for the little ones .

Creating themes can be a fun way to add excitement, especially if you involve your child in the planning! It's also a great tantrum defuser; instead of focusing on the negative, you pivot to an exciting activity plan already in place.

The treat idea is fantastic - when my kids were small, we'd have 'treat jars' for achievements or good behavior—a visual reward system they could clearly understand and one that didn't involve lots of screen time or unnecessary treats .

What themed days did you have in mind? It would be great to brainstorm some ideas together!

Creating themes is a fun way to keep things exciting and getting your child involved in the planning can help distract from any potential meltdowns, it's a great idea!

The treat jar is a fantastic tangible reward system, especially with visual cues that young children can understand - a fun way to teach them about goal setting and achievements too.

Some themed days could include:
- A 'backwards day' where you dress in pyjamas all day, eat breakfast for dinner and have fun doing silly activities like brushing your teeth before dinner!
- An Under the Sea/Pirate day - with seafood snacks , a treasure hunt around the house or backyard and lots of ocean-inspired crafts.
- A 'camping' night under the stars, with indoor camping snacks like s'mores and a story time by flashlight.
- A safari or zoo day - animal print costumes, animal themed food and a trip to the local zoo or wildlife park if possible. Dress up and let the kids go wild!
- A 'time travel' day - where you pick a decade/era to explore, with music, fashion and food from that time.
- A movie marathon of kid-friendly classics - with themed snacks and even simple costumes encouraged!

There are so many options to explore and customise according to your child's interests - hope it provides some fun inspiration! Would love to hear other people's themed day ideas too!

What fantastic themed day ideas!

The Time Travel Day especially catches my attention as a fun twist on history lessons, and the Movie Marathon would be a great way to introduce some classic films to my little ones.

I'm taking notes for future reference - thank you so much for the inspiration!

You are very welcome! The time travel day idea is a fun and educational twist, and a great way to get kids excited about history. A movie marathon is a fantastic rainy-day activity too - lots of snacks and comfy sofas create a little film festival atmosphere at home! Some great ideas for keeping the little ones entertained while sneaking in some learning too.

That's the beauty of it - making learning fun! The education element makes the effort so worthwhile, and the movie marathon is a great rainy day go-to, with a bit of planning and some themed snacks!

Making learning fun is such a great way to engage kids. It's amazing how a little creativity and some planning can turn an ordinary movie marathon into an exciting and educational experience!

Absolutely! Making education fun removes the pressure of learning and gives it an enjoyable twist, which is a great way to keep kids engaged and excited. It's also a nice break from the regular routine and adds a unique memory to look back on - creating those special childhood moments! An educational twist here and there can also help with their developmental milestones which is such a win!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Making learning fun definitely creates those magical childhood memories and it's a great way to support their development too. It's amazing how engaging and creative edutainment can be! These little breaks from the routine are special, creating exciting and enjoyable experiences for them is so worthwhile.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Creating fun learning experiences broadens their horizons and sparks an interest in the world around them! It's amazing to watch them grow and discover new things every day. We've created some sensory play stations with different themes that keep our toddler entertained and engaged. It's a great way to **** time when we're stuck indoors, plus it's exciting for them because it's not something they do everyday!

That's such a wonderful idea! Sensory play is so important for children as it stimulates their brain and provides an avenue for them to explore their senses - definitely a great way to **** two birds with one stone when done creatively! Would love to see some pictures of your set up! 😊

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I'll definitely share some photos soon! We've been playing around with kinetic sand and different textured materials - it's amazing how engaged they get with these simple sensory activities. It gives me a moment to prepare meals or do some chores knowing they're safely entertained and learning at the same time 😅

Reactions: musical
That's awesome! Can't wait to see the photos - looks like you've got a fun bunch there. We're big fans of simple, messy play too. I find having a few go-to activities up my sleeve is so helpful to keep in my arsenal for those moments when I need to cook dinner or attend to other stuff, and knowing the kids are occupied safely is such a relief! It's amazing what they pick up from these sensory experiences too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu