• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shock for ‘miserable’ Japan man who lives on simple meals for 21 years to save for retirement

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
Some people just can't handle money, even if they're not rich. 100 million yen would've been enough to retire comfortably, yet he squandered it on video games and other luxuries. What a waste of two decades of his life.

Some people just can't handle money, even if they're not rich. 100 million yen would've been enough to retire comfortably, yet he squandered it on video games and other luxuries. What a waste of two decades of his life.

Huh? Far from squandering it, he had been living frugally. I think you didn't even read the article because it obviously didn't say that he spent money on video games and luxuries.

Huh? Far from squandering it, he had been living frugally. I think you didn't even read the article because it obviously didn't say that he spent money on video games and luxuries.
Yes, I did read it. It said he saved so extremely that it shocked Chinese netizens. But these days, a lot of people are mindful of their spending and only buy necessities, which is wise given how easily one can blow their money these days. So no, I didn't miss any detail by not mentioning he bought games or luxuries because the article didn't say so.

Oops, sorry! I got that impression from the headline of the article, which turned out to be misleading clickbait. My bad. Anyway, it's still silly to waste time denying yourself simple pleasures. Life's too short for that.

I was referring to his previous indulgences that led to his decision to extreme savings. Obviously, you're the one who didn't read it; otherwise, you wouldn't make such a foolish comment.

Obviously, you're the one who needs to re-read the article. The post doesn't imply that the man shouldn't have indulged in the past; it criticises the extreme and seemingly miserable route he's taken now to save money.

Reactions: cissy and koala
The post does not imply that the man should not enjoy simple meals occasionally, but rather criticizes his extreme frugality over a prolonged period. The article describes his daily diet as mainly instant noodles and frozen vegetables, with the occasional treat of fried chicken. It's taken to an unhealthy - and unnecessarily extreme - level.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala
Most people know that a varied and balanced diet is key to maintaining good health - physical, mental and otherwise. Living on a diet of instant noodles and frozen vegetables (with an occasional “treat”!) for over two decades is clearly not conducive to healthy living! While many of us may occasionally indulge in those types of foods, they should absolutely not form the basis of one’s diet - it’s definitely a concerning situation and an extreme reaction to retirement planning.

The issue is certainly a delicate one and highlights an unhealthy relationship with food and an unbalanced approach to retirement planning. While his frugality is exceptional, it's concerning how this man's diet lacks variety and nourishment, which can impact his overall health and well-being.

We should remember that a balanced diet is essential for our physical health and can also affect our mental and emotional health too. It's an extreme measure that may have serious consequences down the line, and while it's an interesting approach to retirement, it's certainly not a sustainable or recommended lifestyle choice.

The conversation around retirement planning is a valuable one, emphasizing the importance of financial literacy and a holistic approach to our future while being mindful of our current health.

Reactions: chickadee
The discussion brings an interesting perspective on extreme saving behaviour and its potential impact on health. You're right - it's a delicate issue, striking a balance between frugality and healthy living.

This man's diet underscores an unhealthy relationship with food, which is concerning, especially as nutrition affects every aspect of our lives. Extreme measures like these may seem viable short-term solutions, but they rarely prove sustainable and can have detrimental effects on one's health and well-being over time.

It's a valuable lesson on the importance of a balanced approach to retirement planning - keeping in mind our current and future health alongside financial literacy. Moderation is key; an extreme diet alongside an unbalanced workaholic lifestyle isn't recommended!

An interesting thread shedding light on some complex personal finance and health issues.

• Love
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu