• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sharing tips on baby sleep routines to help you both catch some much needed Z's.

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We all know how crucial a good night's rest is, especially when it comes to our little ones. Those precious hours can make all the difference in their development and overall mood - and let's not forget about our own well-being too!

This is the place to share your tips and tricks on establishing a healthy sleep routine for your babies and young children. Whether you've got a trusty bedtime regimen that guarantees a full night's rest or you're looking for some inspiration, join us to discuss all things related to sleep! Share your experiences, go-to strategies, and let's help each other create some peaceful bedtime routines that will have the whole family snoozing soundly.

To get things started, I'll share a tip my mom swore by: swaddling. It was a lifesaver for helping my daughter settle down and sleep longer stretches at night. Those few extra hours of shuteye were a godsend, especially during those early months!

What works best for your little ones? Any strategies you've found that help them (and you!) get some well-deserved rest?

We all know how crucial a good night's rest is, especially when it comes to our little ones. Those precious hours can make all the difference in their development and overall mood - and let's not forget about our own well-being too!

This is the place to share your tips and tricks on establishing a healthy sleep routine for your babies and young children. Whether you've got a trusty bedtime regimen that guarantees a full night's rest or you're looking for some inspiration, join us to discuss all things related to sleep! Share your experiences, go-to strategies, and let's help each other create some peaceful bedtime routines that will have the whole family snoozing soundly.

To get things started, I'll share a tip my mom swore by: swaddling. It was a lifesaver for helping my daughter settle down and sleep longer stretches at night. Those few extra hours of shuteye were a godsend, especially during those early months!

What works best for your little ones? Any strategies you've found that help them (and you!) get some well-deserved rest?
I've found that reading a couple of books before bed helps my little one relax and wind down. We snuggle up together with his favourite stuffy and go through a few Goodnight Moon and other soothing stories. The calm and quiet time helps him settle, and the routine has helped him learn to associate books with bedtime, which is great for his early literacy!

Also, white noise has been an unexpected lifesaver. We live in a lively neighborhood, so having some gentle static in the background drowns out any loud noises that might startle him. It's amazing how a bit of background noise can help him sleep better, and thus help me too!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy

For those with slightly older children, creating a relaxing 'wind down' routine before sleep can help your little ones settle and prepare their bodies and minds for a good night's rest.

This works particularly well for my 9-year-old who responds well to a calming pre-bed ritual: dimming the lights, some stretching/yoga poses, and reading a few chapters from her favorite book help to relax her and me too!

My little one really liked being rocked to sleep and it just so happened that our sofa had the perfect rocking motion. It became a part of our routine where I would rock her while feeding her, hum an old Chinese lullaby and she would nod off after 20 minutes or so.

We also made sure that the room was pitch dark. We invested in thick blackout curtains which really helped on those days when the sun rises early. Of course, white noise also helped mask the external sounds of the bustling city.

• Love

My son responded really well to a bedtime routine that involved a warm bath, a story, and a soothing massage before sleep. It helped him relax and settled him down for the night. Also, adding some white noise like a faint rainfall or vacuum cleaner sound helps mask the surrounding noises and creates a calming atmosphere.

• Wow
Reactions: luciana

My tried-and-true method for helping my little ones sleep through the night is creating a comforting bedtime routine. From the age of 6 months onwards, after a quick evening shower, I'd rock my babies to sleep in a cozy armchair, then carefully place them in their crib. A warm bath before bedtime really helps to signal to their tiny bodies that it's time to wind down and relax.

It also pays to keep the same routine and stick to it daily - the familiarity of it lulls them to sleep easier over time. Of course, a comfy outfit and a cool, dark room aid in their comfort too! And when all else fails, I break out the big guns: a soothing baby massage with some chamomile-scented lotion never fails to send my little ones into dreamy slumber.

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeves? Sleep is such a precious commodity with tiny tot's around!

• Sad

My go-to trick is white noise. It blocks out any sudden noises that might startle baby or disrupt their sleep. I use a white noise machine, but there are also apps for that. A noisy fan will do in a pinch too!

My trick is to create a calm and cozy environment with a soothing sleep aid. I like to use essential oils in a diffuser, the scent helps both baby and I relax and drift off to sleep. Just make sure to use only a couple of drops as the oils can be potent!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

Hubby and I are creche teachers to our toddler and we take turns having sleepovers with him on the weekends, it's like a little holiday for both parent and baby! The other adult gets some quiet time to themselves or can do their hobbies quietly around the house while the toddler gets maximum attention from one parent, and all of us get a good night's rest! Win-win! It helps that our boy is a champion sleeper, likely due to our consistent nap times and bedtime schedule on weekdays.

My two kids had different preferences as infants. My son favored being swaddled like your mom's method and it really helped him sleep longer, especially since he was a high-need baby. He needed that comfort and the sense of being held snugly.

For my daughter though, she didn't like being restricted and preferred having her arms free even from a young age. We found that playing white noise in the background helped mask the random noises that would wake her up. It gave both of us some much-needed peace of mind and helped maintain a consistent sleep schedule.

I remember those Sleep Shepherd Nights™! Both my husband and I were desperate for solutions and would try anything to get our children to sleep through the night.

My son loves a good bath before bed. A warm bath with some calming baby soap/shampoo really helps him relax and unwinds him from a long day of playtime.

Another trick I picked up is to keep the room dark - black out curtains are a godsend, especially during the day time naps. It 'sends the message' to his body that it's night-night time and he gets ready to snooze.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu