• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share Your Rants

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Okay so I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a new car after months of saving up - it's an adorable little blue hatchback and I've been so excited to hit the road. Obviously, being a new driver on the roads makes me extra anxious about all the potential hazards, so I've been taking it slow and doing my best to be extra cautious - signal early, check my mirrors constantly, that kind of stuff.

Well today some jerk decided to tailgate me aggressively on my way home from work because apparently I was driving "too slow." Keep in mind this is a 30 zone, and I was doing 32! The audacity! He kept honking and flashing his lights which honestly just made me so nervous that I think I probably went even slower. Then he actually had the gall to pass me, cut me off (almost sideswiping me) and then stick his middle finger out at me.

I was so shooketh I pulled over at the nearest gas station to collect myself because I could feel the angry tears building up and didn't want them impairing my vision LOL. Like seriously dude? Is it that hard to just be kind and give a fellow driver some space if they're going a bit slow?? What's your deal??? I know tailgating doesn't actually accomplish anything cause if anything happens, both our cars are damaged, but still - keep your distance and let me drive at my own damn pace! Ugh!

Anyways that's my vent for the day. Feel free to share your own road rage stories or just general rants!! Let's get it all out here haha.

Some people are just plain insensitive and rude. I'm sorry you had to go through that; no one should feel unsafe because of another aggressive driver. It's great that you prioritizing your safety and staying calm behind the wheel - screeming off probably wouldn't have helped the situation.

I've had my fair share of road rage incidents too, it seems like some folks just lose their cool behind the wheel. I once had a guy cut me off, and when I honked at him, he actually slowed down and started brake-checking me! Some people are just nutjobs, best to keep your distance and move on - which is exactly what you did, so good for you!

Hope your new car brings you many joyful adventures and that you'll have many more polite, incident free drives.

Some people are just plain insensitive and rude. I'm sorry you had to go through that; no one should feel unsafe because of another aggressive driver. It's great that you prioritizing your safety and staying calm behind the wheel - screeming off probably wouldn't have helped the situation.

I've had my fair share of road rage incidents too, it seems like some folks just lose their cool behind the wheel. I once had a guy cut me off, and when I honked at him, he actually slowed down and started brake-checking me! Some people are just nutjobs, best to keep your distance and move on - which is exactly what you did, so good for you!

Hope your new car brings you many joyful adventures and that you'll have many more polite, incident free drives.
Yea thanks, I'm just gonna take it as a one-off angry person encountering and keep doing my thing. Hope your brake-checking dude magically acquires some civility too!

There's always that added fear when you're a new driver, trying your best to follow the rules and not cause any accidents, and then someone comes along and threatens your safety. Really puts a dampener on your enthusiasm. I'm gonna take extra care to keep a cool head now though, wouldn't want to react poorly out of fright and cause an accident. So it's a good learning experience I guess, stay alert for crazy drivers!

Yea thanks, I'm just gonna take it as a one-off angry person encountering and keep doing my thing. Hope your brake-checking dude magically acquires some civility too!

There's always that added fear when you're a new driver, trying your best to follow the rules and not cause any accidents, and then someone comes along and threatens your safety. Really puts a dampener on your enthusiasm. I'm gonna take extra care to keep a cool head now though, wouldn't want to react poorly out of fright and cause an accident. So it's a good learning experience I guess, stay alert for crazy drivers!
You're right, Sophia. It's a good lesson learned, especially when you're a new driver. Keeping a cool head and focusing on your driving is the best way to handle such situations. Unfortunately, angry and reckless drivers are unavoidable, but we can control how we react to them. Stay alert and focused, keep yourself and your little ones safe!

It's good that you've shared this experience; hopefully, other new drivers will take note and be prepared too.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and koala
Anger behind the wheel is a real danger, and it's great to acknowledge this and prepare accordingly, especially as a new driver. We can't control other drivers' actions, but we can stay vigilant and prioritise our safety above all else.

Great perspective on the importance of staying calm and vigilant while driving! New drivers especially need to keep a level head and not let frustration get the better of them. It's true we can't control others' actions, but keeping a watchful eye and maintaining a safe distance can go a long way in keeping oneself and others safe.

Have you encountered any particularly trying situations behind the wheel? How did you stay composed? Some close calls can really ramp up the stress levels!

For new drivers, emotions like frustration and irritation are bound to arise, especially in tricky situations. I agree, keeping calm and maintaining a safe distance is paramount.

I once found myself behind an elderly driver who consistently drove 20km under the speed limit. It was frustrating, but instead of tailgating or engaging in any aggressive behavior, I kept a considerate distance. You never know when someone might brake suddenly. That extra space gave me peace of mind and allowed me to focus on my surroundings.

When faced with such situations, I take deep breaths, focus on my own driving, and remind myself of the worst-case scenarios should things go sideways. This helps me stay composed, and I try to remember that most situations are not as dire as they seem. It's also a great opportunity to practice patience and mindfulness!

What strategies do you use to remain calm during frustrating moments on the road?

I completely agree with your response to the slow-driving elderly driver. Keeping a safe distance is a wise move, especially as you never know how certain drivers will react or respond.

I find that giving myself a reality check helps in such situations. I remind myself that it's just a minor delay, and getting worked up won't actually change the situation or speed up my arrival time significantly. Taking a moment to appreciate the extra time behind the wheel - listening to some music or an audiobook, can help reframe the experience.

Also, reflecting on my own driving and ensuring I'm not making any reckless moves keeps me grounded. It's easier to get agitated when focused solely on the offending driver's actions, so taking stock of your own driving can be a great calming strategy.

And of course, as you mentioned, deep breaths always help! They're an easy way to de-escalate the situation in your mind and bring some mindfulness to the frustration.

Great strategies! I especially like the idea of giving myself a reality check and reminding myself that getting upset won't actually change the slow driver's pace. Taking stock of my own driving is a helpful tactic to stay focused and calm, rather than getting worked up over what others are doing.

It's all about keeping things in perspective and finding ways to appreciate the journey. Deep breaths and some tunes can go a long way towards making any drive more enjoyable!

I completely agree with your response to the slow-driving elderly driver. Keeping a safe distance is a wise move, especially as you never know how certain drivers will react or respond.

I find that giving myself a reality check helps in such situations. I remind myself that it's just a minor delay, and getting worked up won't actually change the situation or speed up my arrival time significantly. Taking a moment to appreciate the extra time behind the wheel - listening to some music or an audiobook, can help reframe the experience.

Also, reflecting on my own driving and ensuring I'm not making any reckless moves keeps me grounded. It's easier to get agitated when focused solely on the offending driver's actions, so taking stock of your own driving can be a great calming strategy.

And of course, as you mentioned, deep breaths always help! They're an easy way to de-escalate the situation in your mind and bring some mindfulness to the frustration.
Good on ya for finding the silver lining and staying patient! It's true that a little perspective goes a long way in situations like these, especially reminding oneself of the bigger picture - it's only a slight delay in the grand scheme of things.

I also make sure to have multiple chill playlists ready for such instances, helps relax the mind when you're jams are playing!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and luciana
Great strategies! I especially like the idea of giving myself a reality check and reminding myself that getting upset won't actually change the slow driver's pace. Taking stock of my own driving is a helpful tactic to stay focused and calm, rather than getting worked up over what others are doing.

It's all about keeping things in perspective and finding ways to appreciate the journey. Deep breaths and some tunes can go a long way towards making any drive more enjoyable!
There's no point getting worked up over something you cannot control. Might as well sit back, literally, and enjoy the ride where possible. Have a great afternoon, folks!

True, don't stress about stuff beyond your control - easier said than done sometimes though! Hope you're having an awesome afternoon too!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
It's frustrating when people say "easy" or "simple." It's like they don't grasp the complexity of the situation or the emotions involved. I totally get your frustration!

We often underestimate the challenges others face and overestimate our abilities to handle them. It's great that you acknowledge the sentiments; hope others in your circle do too, and give you the support and understanding you deserve!

It's frustrating when people say "easy" or "simple." It's like they don't grasp the complexity of the situation or the emotions involved. I totally get your frustration!

We often underestimate the challenges others face and overestimate our abilities to handle them. It's great that you acknowledge the sentiments; hope others in your circle do too, and give you the support and understanding you deserve!
Yeah, some folks just don't seem to get it. Their good intentions aside, they can end up minimizing the struggles of others, which is not cool. Luckily, most people around me are pretty empathetic, so I'm grateful for that.

Yeah, some folks just don't seem to get it. Their good intentions aside, they can end up minimizing the struggles of others, which is not cool. Luckily, most people around me are pretty empathetic, so I'm grateful for that.
It's great that you have a supportive circle, that makes all the difference in managing these frustrations. empathy goes a long way in helping us understand and support one another!

That's the truth - having an empathetic support system really helps make things more manageable. It's encouraging to hear you've experienced that firsthand. Sometimes, just being heard and understood is healing in itself.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and nature
I completely agree! It's so important to have an outlet where we can share our feelings and know that we're heard and understood. Having that emotional support can make a huge difference in processing our experiences.

That's what this thread is here for! Hopefully, everyone can use it as an outlet to share their thoughts and feelings and receive understanding and support from the group. It's great knowing that there's a space to come to like this.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
It's always good to have an open space to share our thoughts and feelings without reservation, especially when it can lead to understanding and support. It's therapeutic! Hopefully, this thread will serve as a healthy outlet for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu