• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share your baby gear experiences to help new parents make the right choices!

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

As first-time parents, my partner and I were clueless about which baby products to go with - there are just so many options out there and it's easy to get overwhelmed. From strollers to pacifiers, each brand claims to offer the best features but let's be real, some of them are definitely more dependable than others!

So I thought it would be great to have a space where experienced parents can share their honest reviews on baby gear, to help us navigate this maze and make choices that suit our little ones and our wallets ;)

To start off, I'll share my experience with the baby carrier I recently purchased. I went with the Ergo Baby wrap and have been loving it! It's made from stretchy fabric that's easy to adjust and comfortable to wear. As a bonus, it also looks stylish, which was a small but sweet win for me 😁

Now, what are some of your go-to baby essentials and why? Would love to hear about the items you found most useful in those early months!

Hello everyone!

As first-time parents, my partner and I were clueless about which baby products to go with - there are just so many options out there and it's easy to get overwhelmed. From strollers to pacifiers, each brand claims to offer the best features but let's be real, some of them are definitely more dependable than others!

So I thought it would be great to have a space where experienced parents can share their honest reviews on baby gear, to help us navigate this maze and make choices that suit our little ones and our wallets ;)

To start off, I'll share my experience with the baby carrier I recently purchased. I went with the Ergo Baby wrap and have been loving it! It's made from stretchy fabric that's easy to adjust and comfortable to wear. As a bonus, it also looks stylish, which was a small but sweet win for me 😁

Now, what are some of your go-to baby essentials and why? Would love to hear about the items you found most useful in those early months!
I'm glad you initiated this thread, it's definitely an invaluable space for us parents to seek guidance!

For me, a must-have is my trust stroller, the Bugaboo Dragonfly. It's lightweight, nimble and a breeze to maneuver, which was a lifesaver when I was navigating tight spaces solo with my toddler in tow! The one-second fold also makes it super convenient for car transfers - a massive plus point for me as I often juggle multiple errands on my own.

The 4moms rockaRoo bouncer is another favorite baby gear of mine. The compact size is a godsend as it doesn't take up too much space, yet provides a cozy and entertaining space for my little one to lounge in. The various toy bars and built-in sounds kept my baby entertained, and the gentle vibrations put him to sleep - a win-win!

Reactions: stargazer
Hello everyone!

Hello! Congrats on your little one!

I'm also a big fan of my Ergo Baby carrier. It's definitely a staple item for me, especially when I'm out running errands or going for walks. My little one loves being snugged in there and it leaves my hands free which is a big bonus for me as a solo parent.

Another essential for me has been my haul of reusable diapers. Don't laugh! Haha, it might seem like a strange choice, but I found that they're so much more comfortable and versatile than disposables, plus, in the long run, way cheaper too. I did lots of research on these and went with a few different brands as recommended by a fellow mom friend who swears by them. They've lasted well over three kids ( hers, not mine! ) and are still going strong - a very worthy investment.

Also, credit goes to my sister for recommending the Angel Care monitor. I'm quite a anxious person, so knowing I can check in on my baby's breaths per minute, especially when she's so tiny and precious, is super comforting. It does help me relax, and the statistics nerd in me loves the data it provides!

I'm keen to hear about strollers too - this is one area where I feel clueless! So many features and prices vary so much. What have your experiences been with the different brands? Any must-avoids or top picks?

Hello everyone!

I'm Samantha, a lawyer and single mum to two boys. Speaking of baby carriers, I found the Baby Bjorn to be a real godsend for me and my toddlers. It's easy to put on and take off without any help, which was a major plus when I was doing it alone. The Ergo Baby wrap you have is a great pick for comfort too!

• Sad
Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone!

The Ergo Baby carrier is a great choice - comfortable, adjustable, and trendy too!

One item I swear by is theHaakaa Silicone Pump. It's a lightweight, portable breast pump that's a lifesaver for new moms who exclusive pump or want to alleviate engorgement. It's easy to use and a godsend when you're out and about or during those middle-of-the-night feeds.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Hello everyone!

Hello there! I'm techsavvy, and I second your thought on the vastness of the baby product galaxy! Each constellation shines bright with its offerings, but not all are worth their price tag 😅.

I'd like to recommend my trusty tandem double stroller. Mine's a robust stroller system that allowed me to accommodate my older toddler and the new baby. It was a lifesaver during our recent family holiday, navigating through crowded airports and touristic hotspots. No need to purchase individual seats for the little ones, and my older one could stroll alongside us without getting lost in the crowd - a real sanity saver for me!

It's also a durable choice, as it has survived several rough rides and uneven terrain with only minimal complaints from my children 😁. You probably won't go wrong with this pick!

What else would you ladies recommend for traveling with two little ones? Any hack or must-have gear that made your journeys smoother?

• Sad
Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone!

Hello! Good initiative to help confused parents steer clear of baby gear pitfalls.

I've used a few different carriers but my top pick has to be the Baby Bjorn. Super comfortable, especially for a newborn! The Ergo Baby wrap is great too, but I found it better for when they're a little bigger and you can wear it on your back.

The first few months are a blur of feeds and nappy changes, so a good feeding/changing station was a lifesaver. I'm not big on fancy gadgets, but one thing I splurged on was a smart bassinet - yup, the hi-tech kind with motion and sound sensors. It helped soothe and put my baby to sleep without me having to rock him every time. Worth every cent!

For me, an uncomplicated, easy-to-steer stroller was key. The Baby Jogger City Mini did it for me: lightweight and maneuverable, yet sturdy. A godsend when navigating the crowded streets of Singapore!

Any parents out there with opinions on baby monitors? I'm curious about the latest gadgets in this category. Are they really that helpful, or just fancy add-ons?

Hello everyone!

The baby carrier is an absolute must-have for me. I started with a different brand - Baby BJörn - which was also good but eventually switched to ErgoBaby as my little one grew. It's like agodsend, especially when you're out and about or traveling; much more convenient than a stroller, plus it's cozy and comfortable for baby. I liked how the Ergo had plenty of adjustment options to ensure a snug fit as my daughter grew, and the fabric was nice and breathable too.

For me, another essential is a good baby monitor. We went with the Motorola MBP36 model which had clear visuals and decent range. Being able to keep an eye on my sleeping babe from another room gave me peace of mind and helped me relax while she napped, plus it came in handy for quiet moments like breastfeeding or just chilling out!

I also found that a simple nasal aspirator was a godsend during the sniffles - a must-have for colds and stuffy noses. We used the Friocam Baby Nasal Aspirator, which was recommended by my pediatrician and it worked effectively without being too harsh on the baby.

And of course, can't forget the humble swaddle blankets! I loved the ADAMS cotton swaddle blanks - they were big, lightweight, and breathable which was perfect for the Singapore weather.

These are just a few things that come to mind! Would love to hear about other parents' experiences and recommendations too.

Hello everyone!

I second the Ergo Baby wrap! I had so much more success breastfeeding with it than any other carrier. My top pick would also have to be the Rock n Play Sleeper. It's inclined which is great for babies who have reflux - it was a lifesaver for my little one!

Hello everyone!

Hello! I'm Sunflower, a first-time mom. My little one is five now, so I can definitely relate to the overwhelm you experience as a new parent. There's just so much to learn and prepare for!

One of my must-haves that saw me through those early months (and beyond) is the Combi Kokoro stroller. It was a godsend from day one - lightweight, easy to maneuver, and ultra compact when folded, which was perfect for throwing into the trunk of our car or bringing on public transport. It also grew with my daughter; the seat reclined almost flat, which was comfy for her as a newborn.

I also found that the mesh fabric kept her cool in Singapore's humid climate, and the stroller's small size didn't compromise her comfort - she had plenty of legroom! A definite win in terms of functionality and practicality, and I'd recommend it to anyone who asks!

Hello everyone!

Hi! That's a great initiative to help clueless first-time parents like us!

I'm also gonna share my two cents on baby carriers because these things were a godsend during the early days, especially when your baby is super fussy and nothing else calms them down. I found the Baby Bjorn to be a real lifesaver! It's easy to put on and take off, which is important when you're doing it multiple times a day. It's also comfortable and distributes the weight really well so you don't strain your back, which is a common problem with some carriers.

The other item that I could not live without is my Diaper Pod - basically a small, compact diaper bag that has slots for diapers, wet wipes, and some small toys/snacks. It's handy when you just need to pop out quickly and don't want to bring a huge bag. Mine had clip-on straps so I could attach it to the stroller too, which was super convenient.

Those two items were my absolute must-haves in the first few months. I realized that as a parent, every product you buy is an investment, and sometimes you gotta spend a little extra to get good quality gear that'll last you a long time AND keep your little one happy too.

Hello! Good initiative to help confused parents steer clear of baby gear pitfalls.

I've used a few different carriers but my top pick has to be the Baby Bjorn. Super comfortable, especially for a newborn! The Ergo Baby wrap is great too, but I found it better for when they're a little bigger and you can wear it on your back.

The first few months are a blur of feeds and nappy changes, so a good feeding/changing station was a lifesaver. I'm not big on fancy gadgets, but one thing I splurged on was a smart bassinet - yup, the hi-tech kind with motion and sound sensors. It helped soothe and put my baby to sleep without me having to rock him every time. Worth every cent!

For me, an uncomplicated, easy-to-steer stroller was key. The Baby Jogger City Mini did it for me: lightweight and maneuverable, yet sturdy. A godsend when navigating the crowded streets of Singapore!

Any parents out there with opinions on baby monitors? I'm curious about the latest gadgets in this category. Are they really that helpful, or just fancy add-ons?
As a parent, I found that having a good baby monitor offered peace of mind, especially during those times when my LO (little one) slept in another room. I'm not tech-savvy, but even I found the Nanit Pro Complete Monitor a breeze to set up and use. The app is straightforward, and the camera's features are impressive! You can zoom in and out, get notifications, and even track your baby's sleep patterns - worth every dollar for the right kind of reassurance.

Hello everyone!

I'm Travelmum, a solo parent to two kids under seven. MyErgobaby carrier saw me through many adventures - comfortable, convenient, and stylish! I also swear by my trustworthy stroller, a robust yet nimble Mountain Buggy terrain that handles any terrain, essential for my adventurous family.

Hello everyone!

Hello! I second the vote for the Ergo Baby wrap. It was comfortable and secure, especially as a new parent unsure about the whole baby-wearing thing. Also, like you said, it's nice to have a product that looks good too!

I found a good stroller essential - the Bugaboo Butterfly. It's lightweight, easy to maneuver, and takes up little space, perfect for city dwellers like myself. Folding it up is a breeze too, and it's small enough to carry over the shoulder or pull like a trolley.

Hello everyone!

I am also a big fan of the Ergo Baby Carrier! It was comfortable and secure. I liked that I could adjust the settings as baby grew, and it was easy to wear even when running errands by myself. I felt confident that my little one was snug and safe.

Hello everyone!

Hello! I second the Ergo Baby wrap! It was one of my best buys during my first pregnancy. It grew with my child, lasting well into the toddler years, and saved me a bunch on a stroller, especially as a city dweller. I loved how comfortable it was and that I had full use of my hands! I also felt secure that my child was snugly held. A real bonus was how easy it was to nurse on the go with the carrier. My little one could snack and sleep comfortably too.

Hello everyone!

Hey, I totally get where you're coming from; parenthood is daunting with all the gear options out there. It's easy to overspend on trendy stuff you might not really need.

I'm glad you started this thread; it's a super helpful idea! I'd say one of my most useful items during my first few months as a parent was my trusty Tuk-Tuk stroller. It's lightweight, compact, and easy to maneuver - a godsend when you're running errands or taking public transportation. It's a great value stroller that doesn't break the bank, too!

The baby carrier is an absolute must-have for me. I started with a different brand - Baby BJörn - which was also good but eventually switched to ErgoBaby as my little one grew. It's like agodsend, especially when you're out and about or traveling; much more convenient than a stroller, plus it's cozy and comfortable for baby. I liked how the Ergo had plenty of adjustment options to ensure a snug fit as my daughter grew, and the fabric was nice and breathable too.

For me, another essential is a good baby monitor. We went with the Motorola MBP36 model which had clear visuals and decent range. Being able to keep an eye on my sleeping babe from another room gave me peace of mind and helped me relax while she napped, plus it came in handy for quiet moments like breastfeeding or just chilling out!

I also found that a simple nasal aspirator was a godsend during the sniffles - a must-have for colds and stuffy noses. We used the Friocam Baby Nasal Aspirator, which was recommended by my pediatrician and it worked effectively without being too harsh on the baby.

And of course, can't forget the humble swaddle blankets! I loved the ADAMS cotton swaddle blanks - they were big, lightweight, and breathable which was perfect for the Singapore weather.

These are just a few things that come to mind! Would love to hear about other parents' experiences and recommendations too.
Hello! Happy to help with some insights, especially on the monitor front - it's a real jungle out there!

We had an older model of the Motorola MBP36 and it was solid and reliable, though the video quality could've been better. These days, there are so many options with HD displays and fancy features! We actually just got the new Nanit Plus, which has some nifty features like a built-in camera and night light, plus it tracks sleep and sends notifications to your phone. It's pretty cool, and the video quality is top notch!

For those who prioritize flexibility, portable monitors like the Babysense Video Baby Monitor with two cameras are great. I like how you can easily move the screen between rooms or take it outdoors if needed. It's like having a surveillance system, lol!

Some parents might prefer to go old school and just stick to audio, which is perfectly fine too. We actually used both a video and audio-only monitor for a while, because sometimes you just want to check if they're sleeping without the distraction of visuals - kind of helps you relax too, strangely enough! The VTech Audio Monitor was our pick; it had clear sound and good range, reasonable price too.

So many choices, right?! Parents these days are so lucky - but it can be overwhelming too! Happy to share more on anything we've tried, or answer any questions.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu