• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share tips to manage toddlers' behaviour

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers can certainly test our patience, but let's share some strategies to navigate those tricky behavioural situations! Share your go-to methods, whether redirecting meltdowns or encouraging positive habits; we can gather some new insights together!

What works best for you when faced with challenges like tantrums or stubbornness? Any creative ways of handling them? Let's pool our ideas and create a helpful guide for managing those tot antics!

One strategy I've found effective is the 'Calm Down Corner'. When my toddler hits those relentless tantrum phases, I set up a small, designated space with comforting items like a favourite toy, pillows, and blankets.

I gently guide her towards it when she's overly emotional, explaining that it's a special place to calm down and compose herself. I give her some alone time and then join her after a few minutes, offering a hug and an activity we can do together.

It helps her regain composure and gives us both a chance to take a breather. This method has shown real promise in diffusing intense emotions and encouraging self-calming skills, which are vital life lessons!

One strategy I've found effective is the 'Calm Down Corner'. When my toddler hits those relentless tantrum phases, I set up a small, designated space with comforting items like a favourite toy, pillows, and blankets.

I gently guide her towards it when she's overly emotional, explaining that it's a special place to calm down and compose herself. I give her some alone time and then join her after a few minutes, offering a hug and an activity we can do together.

It helps her regain composure and gives us both a chance to take a breather. This method has shown real promise in diffusing intense emotions and encouraging self-calming skills, which are vital life lessons!
That's a great idea to have a dedicated space for toddlers to cool off and gather their emotions! It's a wonderful way to teach them emotional regulation and also gives the opportunity to practice some deep breathing and relaxation techniques, which we often take for granted as adults.

One thing that has worked well for managing stubbornness is involving my older kid in decision-making. For example, if he refuses to cooperate on what outfit to wear, I'll give him two choices that are reasonable and let him choose. It makes him feel involved and empowers him to make his own decisions - a win-win situation! Also, delaying the process helps too. Sometimes, I'll suggest that we do something fun after the mundane task, like a secret surprise activity, which encourages him to finish up what he needs to do quickly.

I'm interested in hearing about other creative strategies too! Tantrums and stubbornness are universal challenges, so lots of parents will relate!

Giving choices and delaying tactics are great ways to manage stubbornness! I find them effective too, especially when my toddler starts displaying signs of defiance.

I also agree with setting up a calming space, which helps them learn to manage their emotions. The earlier they learn this skill, the better for their emotional development!

For tricky situations like melt-downs in public places, I sometimes use distraction as a tool to manage behaviour. It's amazing how easily toddlers can be sidetracked and drawn away from a potential tantrum with some quick, creative thinking!

Having some tricks up your sleeve definitely makes parenting life easier. Would love to hear other mums' foolproof strategies too!

Giving choices and delaying tactics are great ways to manage stubbornness! I find them effective too, especially when my toddler starts displaying signs of defiance.

I also agree with setting up a calming space, which helps them learn to manage their emotions. The earlier they learn this skill, the better for their emotional development!

For tricky situations like melt-downs in public places, I sometimes use distraction as a tool to manage behaviour. It's amazing how easily toddlers can be sidetracked and drawn away from a potential tantrum with some quick, creative thinking!

Having some tricks up your sleeve definitely makes parenting life easier. Would love to hear other mums' foolproof strategies too!
It's really nice to have these tricks up our sleeves feeling somewhat prepared for toddler dramas!

I find that giving clear and simple instructions, especially when out in public, helps to a great extent. No use shouting above the ruckus, so I try to speak calmly and with purpose, focusing on what needs to be done. It's amazing how this simple approach can draw their attention and gain some cooperation, especially when followed up with plenty of praise for obedience.

Also, I make it a point to acknowledge and appreciate their good behaviour. A simple "thank you" for listening or doing something kind goes a long way, and it encourages them to repeat the positive action. It's amazing how these little ones respond so well to being noticed and appreciated!

What other tactics do you mums use to keep those toddlers in check?

Mum intuition is a real thing, and distraction is definitely a lifesaver in many public meltdown situations! I find that keeping a cheerful, light-hearted attitude also helps keep my toddler in a positive mood when things could potentially turn sour.

It's almost like being a magician, pulling out all the fun tricks to redirect a tot's focus! But keeping it real and modelling patience and emotional expression is also important, so they understand and learn from our lead.

What other sneaky but effective tactics do you mums have?

Distraction is indeed a mom's superpower, especially when done cleverly! I love your analogy of us moms being like magicians - it's so true, and it really helps to shift their focus away from whatever is causing the meltdown.

I've also found that engaging them in a fun activity works wonders too, especially if it's something they really enjoy. A favorite toy or game can be a lifesaver when things get tricky. But I agree that teaching them life skills and emotional intelligence is key, so I always ensure there's some learning happening too; teaching them about their feelings, how to express themselves appropriately, and also picking up some basic coping strategies for when they're frustrated.

One thing I do often is to narrate what I'm doing - almost like a running commentary, which keeps them engaged and occupied somehow! For example, if I'm cooking, I'd say things like: "Now, Mommy's gonna stir the yummy pasta sauce!" It may not work every time, but it's surprising how it can grab their attention sometimes and keep them from full-blown tantrums.

I also love using incentives or small rewards for good behavior - not bribing, but just a little encouragement goes a long way! Like you said, keeping the mood light and fun helps so much, especially when you can see a meltdown approaching!

Narating our actions is such a great idea! I often find my toddler cranks when she's feeling left out, so including her in what I'm doing, even if it's just talking about it, can help her feel involved and engaged.

I like your incentive idea too. I've found little rewards, especially ones that are experiences rather than material things, work well for my tot. Like you said, it's not about bribing but just some positive reinforcement which is so important for their emotional development.

What other fun strategies have you found effective for keeping the peace?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu