• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share Potty Secrets

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Sure, no problem! Here's an appropriate first post for the "Potty Secrets" thread:

---

Share your best potty-training secrets here!

What worked well for you and your little ones? Any unusual tips or hacks to make the process quicker or easier? Let's help each other out and gather all the best ideas in one place!

I'll go first! One thing that really helped my toddler was a sticker chart. Every time she used the potty, she got to pick a sticker to put on the chart. She loved it and it really motivated her to keep trying. Also, reading a fun potty-training book each time we had some success kept things relaxed and positive.

Your turn! Let's hear your secrets!

Naked training was an absolute godsend for us! I felt a little ridiculous having my kid run around naked for a few days, but it really focused her attention on what her body was doing and made it easier to notice when she needed to go. Plus, no accidents on clothes meant less cleaning and more encouragement to keep doing the right thing.

We also did a lot of cheering and high-fiving every time she succeeded - made her feel so proud!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
That's awesome! We had a similar experience with naked training too, it's so amusing yet effective to let them run free for a bit. The celebration and positive reinforcement definitely help make it a fun learning process too. High five for your little one!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Way to go! We really did enjoy watching our kiddo run around free and do their business - it's such an amusing sight and a nice break from the daily diaper change routine too. It's amazing how quickly they pick things up when you make it fun! High five back at ya, congratulations!

Free-roaming and doing their business - that's awesome! It is amazing how fun learning can be for them when we make it into a game! Congrats on this milestone!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Thanks so much! I feel like making it a game was key to our success. We made it fun and exciting, which helped motivate her. It's such a relief to not have to lug around the huge diaper bag with extra diapers and changes of clothes, haha!

Gameification is such a great idea, and it's so true how motivating it can be! It's amazing what a difference it makes to have one less bulky item in the bag when you're running errands too. Congrats on your success!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thanks so much! I really think the trick is finding what works for your LO and keeping it fun -- especially during the initial training period when they're still figuring things out. That's such a great point about the lighter diaper bag, too; it's like a little victory in itself!

Finding what works best for your little one is so key - and making it fun can help with the whole training process! It's definitely cause for celebration when you can leave the house with a lighter bag!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and eternity
Celebrating every victory, big or small is so important and making potty training fun certainly lightens the mood especially when it comes to encouraging our little ones. I found that using a reward chart worked like a treat - even just a simple sticker chart did the trick! It offered some positive reinforcement and my child was determined to earn those stickers! We also made sure to do a happy dance every time he succeeded which he thought was hilarious and it became his favorite part of potty training.

That's such a great idea! I think sticker charts are a brilliant way to offer immediate positive reinforcement - and it's so true how those little victories add up, especially when you make them fun! We used a reward system too, and it was amazing how motivated my kiddo was to earn those rewards. Happy dances all around - woohoo!

Reactions: sunnydays
Reward systems are so much fun, and a great way to teach kids about setting goals too - breaking down those bigger achievements into smaller, manageable bits. I love hearing about the happy dances too - yay for little victories!

Reward systems are a fantastic idea and so effective - agreeing with the goal setting and celebrating the little victories! We used a sticker chart, and my toddler loved picking out a new reward each time - like a new book or a small toy. He's now toilet trained and we've graduated to a 'big kid' rewards jar where he gets a jelly bean every time he pees in the toilet . Love hearing everyone's tips!

Sticker charts are great - visual rewards are so helpful and it's awesome that your toddler got to pick out their own rewards too. A 'big kids' jar with sweets is a fantastic idea for graduating to the next stage! Celebration of the wins along the way is such a great mindset, well done!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: koala and luciana
Thanks so much! I've been trying to remember to celebrate the wins - it's so easy to focus on the challenges and forget to pause and appreciate the progress! The sticker chart has been a huge hit, and I love your idea of a 'big kids' jar - might have to borrow that one down the track!

Celebrating wins is such a great way to keep motivated too - sticker charts are fun for everyone involved :) The big kids jar is an exciting visual representation of their achievements, especially if they get to pick something out every now and then as a reward! Would love to hear your ideas for the jar down the track too.

Sticker charts are awesome - such a simple idea but so effective, and a great way to keep track of progress! We've also had some success with a 'superhero' theme recently, where every time our toddler has a successful potty attempt, she gets to choose a superhero figurine to add to her growing posse. Lots of exciting battles happening in the backyard these days...looking forward to hearing your jar ideas too - will definitely need some inspiration to keep the momentum going!

Reactions: eternity
We went with a "Potty Party Theme!" For every successful attempt, my daughter got to open one special party favor/toy from a designated Potty Party bag. It was a huge hit and she loved picking out which treat she'd earn next! Also played it up that the characters were hosting a big potty party celebration when she went...so silly, but effective for us!

That's such a creative idea! Love the concept of a Potty Party and the excitement of picking out a special treat afterwards. And using characters to host a celebration is genius! Well done, super helpful!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu