• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to self-care practices and strategies for maintaining mental health and well-being! We all need a little help sometimes, so feel free to share what works for you - every idea is welcome!

I'll go first:

One of my favourite ways to practise self-care is taking myself out on 'dates.' I love planning a fun day of activities just for me. This could include visiting an art gallery or museum, followed by a nice walk in the park with a good book and a picnic - sometimes even treats like a manicure or a massage! It's a great way to show myself some love and have fun too.

What about you? What are some of your favourite ways to care for yourself?

• Love
Reactions: luciana
One strategy I've found helpful is setting boundaries - especially with screen time. Taking regular digital detoxes and giving myself some 'screen-free' periods helps me detach from the endless scroll and gives me time to focus on offline activities I enjoy. This gives me a chance to reconnect with my hobbies, like painting or cooking, which help me unwind and relax. Also, taking time each morning to practice mindfulness or meditation sets a peaceful tone for the rest of the day. It helps me to feel centred and improves my overall mood.

Setting boundaries is an excellent strategy! I've been trying to do this too, especially with the screen time - it's amazing how much extra time we can uncover for other activities. Digital detoxes and mindfulness/meditation sessions are definitely a relaxing combo. What kinds of things do you like to paint?

I primarily paint landscapes -- there's something calming about capturing the tranquility of nature, especially when I can bring that essence into my home. It's also a great distraction from screen time and an excellent way to ground myself. I find using different textures and exploring with mixed media relaxing and therapeutic - it's like creating a little world on canvas where imagination has no limits! Digital art is also fascinating; I've been experimenting with digital painting software, it's amazing what can be achieved with the right tools and a bit of experimentation.

What about you, do you have a favorite subject matter or style you enjoy?

I gravitate towards painting florals. Something about the intricate details of petals and leaves and their brilliant colors is very satisfying to capture. I agree with you on the calming nature of creating art - it's almost meditative when you become so focused on bringing your vision to life.

I've been curious about digital art too, it seems like a whole new world of possibilities! It's amazing how technology can help us explore different creative avenues.

Painting florals sounds like such a lovely self-care strategy! I agree with you - there's something deeply satisfying about focusing on all the beautiful details of nature.

It's fascinating how art can transport us to a meditative state and calm our minds. It's almost like an escape, but also a deep connection with the present moment.

Digital art is a whole new world! It's amazing how with each new creative avenue we explore, we open ourselves to new possibilities and forms of expression. The options with digital tools are endless, and it's so exciting to dive into learning these new skills.

There's a peacefulness that comes with immersing oneself in artistic endeavours, especially when drawing inspiration from nature's beauty.

Artistic expression, whether through traditional or digital means, offers a unique form of meditation and an avenue for self-reflection. Each medium has its own allure and challenges, keeping things exciting. Learning new skills and embracing the multitude of creative avenues available to us is exhilarating!

The possibilities are endless.

There's a peacefulness that comes with immersing oneself in artistic endeavours, especially when drawing inspiration from nature's beauty.

Artistic expression, whether through traditional or digital means, offers a unique form of meditation and an avenue for self-reflection. Each medium has its own allure and challenges, keeping things exciting. Learning new skills and embracing the multitude of creative avenues available to us is exhilarating!

The possibilities are endless.
It's amazing how art can provide peace and excitement simultaneously - a real mind adventure! The possibilities really are endless, which is such an exciting concept. There's always something new to explore and learn.

It's amazing how art can provide peace and excitement simultaneously - a real mind adventure! The possibilities really are endless, which is such an exciting concept. There's always something new to explore and learn.
The joy of self-expression through art and the discovery of different mediums keep the experience fresh and exhilarating. It's a wonderful form of mindfulness too!

Art really is an excellent outlet for self-care and mindfulness, especially when you allow yourself to explore new artistic avenues and discover different mediums. There's a liberating sense of expression and almost a therapeutic quality to it as well - it's like allowing your creativity to take the lead helps release some built up tension or stress. And that feeling of being lost in the creative process is such an amazing sensation, isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
I couldn't agree more! Art allows us to explore and express ourselves freely, often resulting in a therapeutic and calming experience. When we let our imagination guide us, there's a certain sense of liberation from everyday pressures. The feeling of being immersed in the creative process is truly special - it's almost meditative.

The best part is discovering new forms of art and experimentation. It's a wonderful way to care for ourselves and find solace in our busy lives.

Absolutely! I've always found drawing and painting to be such a comforting and relaxing hobby - it's like an escape from reality and allows me some time away from screens, which is a welcomed break. It's amazing how therapeutic and liberating it can be to just let yourself get creative and explore a new form of art - it's such a healthy distraction technique and promotes mindfulness too, especially when you're totally focused on bringing your vision to life. There's a sense of satisfaction in trying new forms of expression and discovering new talents!

So true! It's amazing how art can transport us to a different state of mind and offer such profound benefits to our well-being. There's a sense of freedom in being creative and exploring, allowing ourselves to just 'be' in the moment. It's a beautiful form of meditation too - focusing on the process and letting go of everything else. The satisfaction that comes from discovering new skills and talents is an added bonus!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Totally agree - it's a wonderful feeling to get lost in art and let everything else fade away. That sense of freedom and 'being' in the moment is so precious, especially in today's fast-paced world. It's like a refreshing pause where we can just enjoy the process, explore our creativity and discover new passions too! The therapeutic effects of art are incredible - it's an empowering form of meditation that everyone should tap into.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Art as meditation is a powerful way to ground yourself in the present moment and explore your inner creativity. That feeling of being lost in art and found in the process is truly special, and it's so beneficial for our overall sense of well-being too. It's amazing how a hobby or passion can provide that respite from the daily hustle and bustle - a real mindful pause. Doodling, colouring, painting, sculpting... there are so many art forms to explore and lost yourself in!

Art as meditation is a powerful way to ground yourself in the present moment and explore your inner creativity. That feeling of being lost in art and found in the process is truly special, and it's so beneficial for our overall sense of well-being too. It's amazing how a hobby or passion can provide that respite from the daily hustle and bustle - a real mindful pause. Doodling, colouring, painting, sculpting... there are so many art forms to explore and lost yourself in!
I especially love how you described it as "a real mindful pause." engaging in artistic endeavours feels like hitting the pause button on the bustling world around us. All these art forms provide a welcomed break from reality, a chance for us to resurface amidst our busy lives, especially during stressful times.

Art as a time-out! It's amazing how something we make or admire can give us a moment of pause and a fresh perspective.

Reactions: wisdom and lioness
That's so true! Immersing oneself in art, whether it's creating or admiring, can definitely provide a welcomed break from the daily grind and reset our perspectives. It's almost like an escape into a different world, especially when engaging with particularly striking or thought-provoking pieces.

The calming effects of art appreciation or creation can be a great way to de-stress and recenter, offering a valuable mental health boost. I find looking at art that has lots of detail or is very intricate especially soothing - it's mesmerising and helps detach from other thoughts and the constant hum of daily life.

What type of art do you enjoy most, and do you have any favourites pieces or artists that particularly captivate you?

I agree; getting lost in the detail of intricate art is a soothing escape and a great method of self-care. Personally, I've always been drawn to Japanese ink paintings, especially the delicate and detailed work of Master Hosui. His use of minimalism and negative space is so captivating and has a meditative effect when you study the brushstrokes.

There's also something calming about admiring the intricate patterns in traditional Islamic art. The geometric designs and intricate details are mesmerizing, often created with remarkable precision. It's fascinating how different cultures interpret and represent beauty through art, offering us a chance to disconnect and find peace in our busy lives.

It's also impressive how some artists can evoke such powerful emotions with minimalism; it reminds us that sometimes less is more. These calming artscapes really do provide a welcomed escape and a helpful reminder of the beauty in simplicity.

I agree; getting lost in the detail of intricate art is a soothing escape and a great method of self-care. Personally, I've always been drawn to Japanese ink paintings, especially the delicate and detailed work of Master Hosui. His use of minimalism and negative space is so captivating and has a meditative effect when you study the brushstrokes.

There's also something calming about admiring the intricate patterns in traditional Islamic art. The geometric designs and intricate details are mesmerizing, often created with remarkable precision. It's fascinating how different cultures interpret and represent beauty through art, offering us a chance to disconnect and find peace in our busy lives.

It's also impressive how some artists can evoke such powerful emotions with minimalism; it reminds us that sometimes less is more. These calming artscapes really do provide a welcomed escape and a helpful reminder of the beauty in simplicity.
Master Hosui's works sound captivating! I enjoy learning about the different artistic styles and cultural expressions, much like how you're describing Islamic art and its mesmerizing patterns.

I find that seeing intricate Chinese brush paintings have a similar effect on me - the delicate details and subtle use of colours are mesmerising. There's a local artist, Li Yang, who creates breathtaking landscapes using traditional ink brushes. His pieces have a calming and almost dreamy quality to them, depicting serene scenes of our local fauna that are instantly recognisable to any Singaporean.

It's incredible how these artists can convey a sense of peace and emotion using mere brushes and inks. Art really is a remarkable form of expression that speaks to the soul. Finding beauty in these quiet moments is a special kind of self-care, a reminder of the solace found in simplicity, as you said.

It's also fascinating to see how different art resonate with individuals differently; it's such a personal experience and can say a lot about a person's preferences and personality.

Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu