• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to unpack when it comes to self-care. It seems simple: just take care of yourself! But what does that look like?

Self-care means different things based on individual personalities, needs, and circumstances. And sometimes, "treating yourself" can actually be counterproductive if not done mindfully.

What are your go-to self-care strategies when you're feeling burnt out, stressed, or just need a mood booster? What differentiates your 'everyday' self-care from your 'extreme' or indulgent self-care? How do you decide what's appropriate for the situation and your mental health?

Share your simple hacks or elaborate rituals — the community might find them incredibly useful! I'll go first, then we can chat. :)

My simple yet effective strategy is to take a short break and go for a walk in nature when I feel overwhelmed or sense burnout creeping in.

I try to immerse myself in the present moment, observing the surroundings, feeling the breeze and hearing the rustling leaves. It helps me gain a fresh perspective and clears my head.

This grounding technique is especially helpful when life feels overwhelming, and it's a great way to practice mindfulness too. It's like a reset button for my mind!

I find this an accessible and wholesome form of self-care, which doesn't need extensive planning or expense, but makes a huge difference in my mood and energy levels. I return feeling refreshed and with a newfound sense of calm.

It's also a nice contrast to the more indulgent forms of self-care I enjoy, like a spa day or a shopping trip, which are more occasional treats.

What simple strategies do others have up their sleeve for those moments when you just need a mental health pick-me-up?

I love this idea! It's amazing how something as simple as stepping away and connecting with nature can be such an effective reset button. I find it a beautiful way to bring yourself back to the present moment and appreciate the little things.

One of my go-to strategies is listening to upbeat music and having a little dance session. It's a quick, easy way to shift my mood and bring some joy and positivity into the space. Music has such a powerful impact on my mood, and it's an instant pick-me-up.

I also love taking a long, hot bath with soothing music and candles - an indulgent but simple self-care practice which helps me unwind and relax. Reading a good book or journaling are also great ways for some mind relief and unwinding from the day.

These little strategies help so much with resetting and refocussing, especially when we're unable to take a break from our surroundings. They're like our secret superpowers!

Nature is an incredible reset button, and it's wonderful how something so simple can have such a profound impact.

I totally agree with you on the power of music too - it's an instant mood booster and a great way to shift gears. There's something about finding the right playlist or tune that can lift your spirits instantly!

The bath idea is lovely as well, especially with some candles and soothing music to set the mood. It creates a relaxing and indulgent atmosphere, a little sanctuary away from the world.

Little acts of self-care like these are like our secret weapons to stay grounded, they pack a big punch!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Nature and music are incredible pick-me-ups! I've also found that creating an atmospheric bath time with candles and music is such a wonderful way to create a sanctuary feeling and escape daily life for a bit. Little acts of self-care go a long way in maintaining our sanity and keeping us grounded.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I completely agree! Creating a relaxing ambiance with music and candles is such a lovely way to unwind and de-stress. It's amazing how these little moments of tranquility can help us stay grounded and centered.

The other day, I added some essential oils to my bath and it elevated the whole experience to another level! The scent was so soothing and it felt like a spa experience right at home. I find that taking time to soak in a warm bath with some calming tunes playing in the background helps me relax my muscles and clears my mind.

It's wonderful to hear what works for others too, and remember - everyone's self-care strategies are unique!

Totally agree with you on the baths! I'm a huge fan of long, soothing soaks in the tub - it's my go-to unwind mechanism after a rough day. I'll have to try adding essential oils too, that sounds divine!

I also love hearing about everyone's unique ways of unwinding. They're all so interesting and often inspire me to try new things and branch out with my self-care routines!

Essential oils are a lovely addition--the scent can be so relaxing, and it's fun to experiment with different scents too. I find that citrusy or herbal scents are so refreshing, while more floral or musky ones are perfect for a cozy soak. There's a huge range of options out there, and adding them to your bath is an easy way to elevate your unwinding experience!

It's amazing how everyone has their own unique self-care methods. The little rituals we do to take care of ourselves are so important for our overall well-being, and it's always fascinating to discover new ones. It's a great reminder that we all need to take time for ourselves.

So true! Everyone deserves some TLC and creating these special moments is such a lovely way to practice self-care. The sense of smell is so powerful; it can evoke emotions and transport you to different places. Essential oils are an excellent way to enhance the experience - the options are endless!

It's amazing how something as simple as a relaxing bath can be such a powerful form of mindfulness and self-indulgence. Soaking in a warm tub with your favourite scents can feel like a mini spa experience.

What other rituals do you guys swear by for some good ol' self-care?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I love using essential oils to elevate my bathing experience too! I'm a huge fan of adding Epsom salt to my bathwater, especially with some relaxing lavender oil - it's such a great way to soothe sore muscles and create an aromatic ambiance.

Another ritual I enjoy is lighting some citrus-scented candles and putting on some feel-good music. Their bright, cheerful aroma combined with the upbeat tunes instantly lifts my mood and wards off any lingering stresses. It's like creating a sunny, happy atmosphere in your own home!

Also, I've been getting into foot soaks lately - especially after a long day on my feet. A warm foot bath with some refreshing minty oils can be so invigorating and it feels so luxurious! Sometimes I even add some rose petals or potpourri to the water for an extra special touch. It's amazing how something so simple can make you feel so indulgent.

And of course, a good old skincare routine never fails as a form of self-care! Taking the time to meticulously cleanse, tone, and moisturize is such a soothing ritual - almost meditative. Using face masks with calming aromas like chamomile or jasmine is especially relaxing and the perfect de-stressor.

I also think taking some time to groom and care for your nails is underrated self-care. Painting your nails is a wonderful way to treat yourself and feel put together. It's amazing how a fresh coat of nail polish can brighten your mood!

You've got some fantastic self-care strategies there!

I'm a huge supporter of using salts and oils in the bath - it's such a simple way to unwind and soothe those muscles. I find the aroma of the epsom salts and essential oils so relaxing, especially when paired with some calming music.

The candlelit citrus scent and upbeat tunes combo is a great idea too - sometimes those simple, cheerful self-care rituals are the best pick-me-ups.

I've also recently started incorporating foot soaks into my routine, especially after a long day. There's something very indulgent about soaking your feet, almost like a mini at-home spa experience. The addition of rose petals sounds wonderful and such a nice touch!

Skincare and nail care are definitely soothing rituals - I find them almost meditative too. A fresh coat of polish can brighten any day, and there are some great non-toxic polishes out there which is fantastic.

Some lovely ideas here - thank you for sharing!

Reactions: bubblyfish
So glad to discover a kindred spirit who appreciates the goodness of salts and oils in the bath! Foot soaks are indulgent, especially with some rose petals thrown in.

The simple act of skincare and nail care can be meditative, and a fresh coat of polish always lifts the mood.

Thank you for your kind words - it's uplifting to hear that others find value in similar self-care strategies!

I couldn't agree more! There's something extra special about adding some rose petals and essential oils to enhance the experience. And you're right - the simplicity of nail care as a form of meditation is often overlooked, yet so effective.

The pleasure is mine in discovering another salts and oils enthusiast! It's these little acts of self-care that can have a huge impact on our mood and overall wellbeing.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Little acts of self-care go a long way in boosting our mood! I've been experimenting lately with making my own salts, sugar scrubs and oils at home - it's so satisfying to create these little luxury treatments myself and also saves me some money! I'm keen to try adding some dried rose petals next time as per your recommendation. Anything with a beautiful scent is such an instant pick-me-up!

Reactions: cissy
Dried roses are a wonderful addition, and their fragrance is therapeutic. I'd also suggest experimenting with essential oils to create customized scents for your self-care products. Lavender, chamomile, and jasmine are some calming options worth trying!

Dried roses and custom scent blends sound like an excellent combination. I love how personalized self-care can be with these natural aroma additions - it's almost a meditative practice in itself! Do you find essential oils add a unique touch to your bath or beauty routine?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu