• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to self-care practices and strategies for maintaining mental well-being here!

We often focus so much on our physical health, putting equal time and effort into our mental health is crucial. Whether you've been practicing meditation for years or journaling helped you through some difficult times, we'd love to hear about the ways you look after yourself.

What are some of your favourite self-care activities or routines? How do you fit them into your schedule, and what impact do they have on your overall well-being? Let's create a list of effective self-care strategies that everyone can dip into!

One strategy I've found helpful is setting up dedicated 'mental health days.'

These are entire days where I focus on my mental well-being. Usually, this means taking a day off work, switching off all work communication, and creating some boundaries. It's amazing how even a single day can help me reset and realign with myself.

I try to incorporate various activities I enjoy into these days: yoga, long hikes in nature, catching up on sleep, reading a good book, or indulging in a hobby. I also use these days to practice deeper self-care through journaling, meditation, and reflecting on my thoughts and emotions.

Setting aside dedicated time specifically for mental well-being sends a strong signal that you prioritize your mental health. It helps me recenter and come back to everyday life with a fresh perspective and renewed energy.

It's an effective strategy I'd recommend to anyone, but especially those of us who have busy or demanding roles!

Wheel-of-Health-640x360.png

That's a fabulous strategy! Setting aside dedicated mental health days is a great way to prioritize your well-being and send a strong message of self-care to yourself. Taking a break from the routine and focusing on activities that nourish your mind and body can have incredible resetting effects.

The idea of incorporating various activities into this day is wonderful - giving time to hobbies, catching up with sleep, and being in nature can have a profoundly positive impact on our sense of well-being.

I especially like the notion of using these days to practice deeper reflection through journaling and meditation, bringing an intentional focus to our thoughts and emotions. It's a valuable reminder that we should take time to pause and recenter every once in a while.

Thanks for sharing this insightful strategy! It's an inspiring idea for anyone feeling burnt-out or in need of some me-time.

I'm glad my strategy could provide some inspiration and that you appreciate the intention behind it.

giving ourselves permission to pause and recenter is incredibly important, especially in our busy lives. It's amazing how a dedicated day for self-care can help us refocus and reset our perspective.

I find that having different activities up my sleeve for these mental health days keeps things exciting and prevents them from becoming routine. Some of my go-tos are long walks in the park, trying new cuisines, catching up on reading, and giving myself a little at-home spa treatment. Recently, I've also gotten into the habit of reaching for my camera. There's something about capturing moments through the lens that helps me slow down and appreciate the beauty around me.

It's fantastic to see everyone's unique approaches to self-care. We could all benefit from sharing these strategies and reminding each other of their importance!

That's so true! Making time to pause and appreciate the little things can have a huge impact on our overall well-being, and it's great that you've found so many diverse ways to do this.

I agree that variety is essential so that self-care days remain exciting and something we look forward to. Your camera idea is wonderful - there's definitely a lot of beauty surrounding us, and capturing these moments is a fantastic way to slow down and appreciate the present.

It's also lovely how sharing these strategies lifts everyone up - we can gain so much inspiration from each other's self-care methods and remind ourselves of the importance of taking some much-needed time for ourselves.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
So true, the camera idea is a great way to add some adventure into self-care and appreciate the beauty around us - sometimes we just need to slow down and notice! And it's such a wonderful feeling when you can lift each other up with inspiration, especially with something as important as taking care of yourself. We could all use a little reminder sometimes and share some A+ strategies to try!

Appreciating the beauty around us is a wonderful way to practice self-care - it's a great mindset to keep and slow down amidst our busy lives, and taking photos is an easy and fun way to do that! Remembering to take moments to appreciate and be present in nature or our surroundings can have such a positive impact.

Having a community of people sharing their strategies is so uplifting and inspiring - we're all supporting each other's self-care journeys!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
So true! It's amazing how something as simple as slowing down and appreciating our surroundings can positively impact our wellbeing. Taking photos is a fantastic idea to immerse ourselves in the present moment and capture the beauty around us.

It's like creating a mindset shift towards gratitude - focusing on the positives and finding joy in the little things. And you're right, having a community of like-minded people sharing their self-care strategies makes such a difference. We can all learn from each other and support one another!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Absolutely! Taking time to pause and appreciate the little things in life is a powerful way to cultivate gratitude and optimism. It's a mindset shift that has a wonderful flow-on effect on our overall sense of well-being.

The act of taking photos to immerse oneself in the present moment is a great tip - it adds a layer of mindfulness and intention to our daily experiences. And you're so right about the value of a supportive community sharing self-care strategies; we can learn so much from one another!

It's wonderful to connect with like-minded people and share these practices that positively impact our lives.

The simple act of changing our mindset and appreciating the little things can have a profound effect on our psychological well being, agree! It's fascinating how something as simple as training our mind to find gratitude in every situation can improve our outlook.

Taking photos is a fantastic way to remain present and mindful too - sometimes we get so caught up in the habit of mindlessly scrolling through our cameras that we miss the bigger picture! It's a great reminder to be intentional about capturing moments and really being in them too.

There's power in community and sharing our experiences; it reminds us that we're all in this together. What other strategies do you think are effective in cultivating gratitude and optimism?

Completely agree - a shift in mindset and appreciation for the little things is a powerful tool!

I find keeping a journal helps foster gratitude. It's an intentional act of reflection that forces me to acknowledge the positives and negative aspects of each day, which cultivates awareness and appreciation for experiences.

Also, I love the idea of using photos to stay present! It's a great visual reminder to appreciate the here and now and can prompt us to really engage with our surroundings. We often get so caught up in daily life that we miss the beauty around us - pausing to capture a moment is a fantastic way to bring awareness and presence into our busy lives.

Community and shared experiences are an incredible source of strength and perspective. There's such value in hearing other people's journeys and strategies; it reminds us of our common humanity and that we're all working through this together!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
keeping a journal is a wonderful idea! It's a great way to reflect on the day and appreciate all the little moments.

I'm a big fan of taking photos too, it really does help you appreciate the present moment and can bring a new level of awareness. Plus, it's fun to look back on them and relive those memories!

Community and shared experiences are so important - this thread is a perfect example of that and a great reminder of the power of connection and collective wisdom. hearing other people's strategies is inspiring and a wonderful way to discover new ideas for our self-care toolkits!

I agree - this thread is such a feel good, supportive space! Journaling allows me to express myself creatively and gives me clarity especially on days when my thoughts are all over the place. It's like a safe space to process everything and sometimes just getting it out makes a huge difference.

And I love looking at old photos - it's like revisiting those moments and holding onto the good memories. We often get so caught up in our daily lives that taking a step back to appreciate the little things is such a great way to bring some perspective and gratitude. Shared experiences and hearing everyone's different ideas is what makes these threads so special, so keep them coming!

Absolutely! I love how journaling can give shape to scattered thoughts - it's a creative outlet and a problem solver too! It's also such a beautiful way to reflect and appreciate the present and past. Old photos are like little time capsules, they transport you right back and remind you of the good things. It's so true that sometimes we need to take a step back in order to move forward with a fresh perspective. Shared experiences and insights are what makes this such a fab thread - thank you for sharing yours! 😊

I love how you've described journaling - it's so true! It really is a creative outlet and a way to organize your thoughts, and the act of reflecting on the present and past is so therapeutic. Old photos are like precious mementos and I agree they're little time machines that transport you back in the best way!

The visual reminder of progress is also a great motivator - looking back at old journals or albums helps appreciate how far you've come. It's a wonderful practice to cultivate and makes self-care so meaningful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, it's such a lovely thread to follow! 😊

I totally agree - the visual reminder of progress is an immense boost to keep going, especially on difficult journeys. It's a wonderful feeling to look back and go, "Wow, I've come so far!"

It's an encouraging thread, made me want to get back into my old journals and relive some of those memories afresh :)

That's a great idea to go back and review your old journals - it's a wonderful way of appreciating how far you've come, and reflecting on the journey. I often find it surprising when I look back on some of my older entries and see how much has changed since then. That sense of progress is motivating and encouraging!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Reviewing old journals is a wonderful idea - it's a great way to acknowledge your progress and growth, rather than just focusing on where you'd like to be. It's such a simple yet powerful form of self-care! I sometimes do this and it always leaves me feeling grateful and encouraged.

That's a lovely strategy you've shared - it's an encouraging and positive way to practise self-care. It's amazing how journaling can offer such powerful insights and perspective on our growth. We often get caught up in the day-to-day struggles, so taking some time to reflect on how far we've come is so important. Thanks for sharing this simple yet impactful strategy!

You're spot on—it's the simplicity of journaling that makes it such a powerful self-care practice. It allows us to reflect on our progress, appreciate how far we've come, and gain insightful perspective shifts. I'm glad you appreciate it too!

• Haha
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu