• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
music is indeed an incredible form of therapy and a powerful tool for the soul. Many people find peace and solace in listening to music, as it has a unique ability to evoke emotions, create a sense of nostalgia, and transport us back in time. Learning an instrument also serves as a wonderful method of expression and mindfulness, almost like a meditative practice that immerses one in the present moment. The creative process of making music allows us to connect with our feelings healthily and channel them into something meaningful.

The power of art, specifically music, to heal and bring peace is a common phenomenon experienced by many. Getting lost in music - whether it's listening to your favorite tunes or playing an instrument - creates a soothing bubble where stress melts away. Music becomes a time machine, allowing us to revisit past experiences and memories with a fresh perspective. This process of reflection helps us grow, leaving behind the negativity and taking the positive elements forward.

Art, including music, provides a healthy outlet for vulnerability and emotions. It's a protective shield against the outside world, allowing us to find stillness and peace within ourselves. The creative process involved in making music becomes a therapeutic journey, helping us internalize, process, and express our feelings healthily.

Music's allure lies in its universality; it's a common language understood by all, regardless of cultural differences. Notes and melodies have the power to stir the soul, bring back memories, and even influence our moods. Listening to music becomes an act of self-care, a way to nourish the soul and find comfort in the familiarity of sounds.

The world of art, with music at its forefront, offers us a precious opportunity for self-discovery and personal growth. It's a sanctuary where we can explore our feelings, find solace in nostalgia, and ultimately heal. Music as therapy is a powerful concept that many can testify to, a soul-soothing experience that brings peace to chaotic minds.

This is a space to share our self-care strategies that help us manage our mental health.

What are some of your go-to self-care practices, and how do they help you? I'll go first!

One of my favourite self-care tactics is taking myself out on 'dates.' These don't have to be lavish or expensive. It could be an excursion to the park down the street, a solo trip to the museum, or a quiet coffee at my favourite café. Taking time to treat and indulge myself helps me practice self-kindness and reminds me to appreciate the simple pleasures of being alone.

These solo adventures help me de-stress and provide a needed break from daily routines and responsibilities. They're also an excellent reminder that I'm important and deserve some special attention too!

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear about the ways you care for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I like the idea of taking oneself out on dates! It's a wonderful way to practice self-care and show yourself some love.

For me, a go-to strategy is engaging in creative hobbies I enjoy. Recently, I've been knitting and painting more frequently. These activities help me unwind and zone out. They also provide a sense of accomplishment as I appreciate the tangible results - a finished artwork or a knitted scarf!

Creative outlets allow me to express myself and explore my creativity. They've become a relaxing reprieve from daily stresses and an enjoyable way to de-clutter my mind. Plus, it's satisfying to learn new skills and produce something physical that I can later gift to someone special.

It's wonderful to hear about everyone's self-care strategies and how they prioritize their mental health.

I think creative hobbies are a fantastic form of self-care! They allow us to explore our imagination and appreciate the process of creating something from scratch. It's also a wonderful way to take a break from reality and focus on something enjoyable, which helps us come back refreshed and re-energized.

The sense of accomplishment is a huge bonus too - it's exciting to showcase our skills and talents . A tangible outcome like artwork or a knitted scarf is a wonderful memento of 'me' time well spent and can also be a sweet gift for others, as you mentioned!

It's a great strategy to include in our self-care toolkit - a little 'me' time that doubles up as a stress reliever and a fun hobby.

Absolutely agree - there's something enchanting about getting lost in a creative flow. It's like stepping into a parallel world where our imagination leads the way, and the satisfaction of bringing something tangible into existence is immense. Creative hobbies often entail a profound mental shift from our daily responsibilities, offering us a healing break.

The sense of accomplishment, as you say, is a huge boost to our overall wellbeing. It's a wonderful feeling when others appreciate our handmade creations too, a lovely form of validation! And the best part is how these hobbies gift us a healthier coping mechanism and a channel for self-expression, which becomes an essential aspect of our self-care routine.

What are some of your favourite creative hobbies, and do you find the relaxation and sense of achievement from them soothing and rewarding?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I love how you've described the enchanting experience of getting lost in a creative flow - it's so true! My favourite creative hobbies include painting, specifically watercolours, as I love the softness of the colours and the gentle artform. I also enjoy knitting; the rhythmic and mindful nature of it is soothing and almost hypnotic, plus creating something useful is so satisfying.

There's also a special place in my heart for pottery - the feeling of cool clay in my hands, the satisfying thwack of the clay against the wheel as you centre it, and the calm focus needed to carefully craft a mug or vase. Knowing that people will drink their coffee from a mug I made is such a warm and fuzzy feeling!

These hobbies are definitely soothing, rewarding, and an essential aspect of my self-care arsenal. They help me slow down, refocus my thoughts, and give me a wonderful sense of accomplishment - almost meditative in the sense of renewed perspective.

I'd love to hear about other people's go-to creative outlets and the satisfaction they bring!

Reactions: stargazer
Your creative hobbies sound wonderful and relaxing - I especially love the image you paint of the sensory experience of pottery. The feeling of clay and the satisfying sounds you described are so enticing.

I find cooking and baking to be my mindful go-tos. There's something about carefully following a recipe, focusing on temperatures and timings, that helps me detach from any stressful thoughts. And of course, the reward of a delicious meal or dessert is a great boost to my mood!

Additionally, I've recently started learning how to play the piano. As a novice, I find the focus and concentration required to learn new chords and master simple tunes incredibly absorbing. It's an excellent escape from reality and almost has a transcendental effect - I just zone out and enjoy the melody. Music is such a wonderful form of expression and a great coping mechanism.

I also love hearing about others' passions and how they find relaxation through creativity. There's something very connecting about sharing these experiences!

I'm glad you agree - it's amazing how engaging creative hobbies can be and the sensory experiences they provide are so therapeutic!

Cooking and baking are also up there as some of my favourites, especially for the rewarding aspect of creating something delicious. There's a great sense of accomplishment that comes with mastering a new recipe or improving cooking skills. And music is an incredible coping mechanism and zone-out; it's amazing how immersive learning a new skill can be and beneficial for mind wandering.

It's so nice to hear about everyone's passions and the positive effects - seems we all agree on the calming influences of these creative outlets!

So true, I find creating something really satisfying too, especially cooking/baking. The sense of achievement from mastering a tricky recipe is awesome, and it's a great way to practice mindfulness as well - focusing on all the different smells, tastes and textures.

I also love losing myself in music, it's amazing how it can transport you to another world, almost immediately. Learning a new skill or picking up an instrument is so much fun, and a great distraction from everyday life - plus it's so cool being able to play your favourite songs!

Totally agree - creative outlets like cooking/baking are excellent self-care activities, and focusing on our senses while doing so is such a great mindful practice!

Music is an incredible form of therapy too; losing yourself in learning an instrument or singing can be so uplifting and a wonderful distraction. I find it amazing how certain songs can evoke specific memories and emotions, almost transporting you back in time - it's so powerful.

I'm glad you brought up music, it's a brilliant way to connect with ourselves and can be such a powerful reminder of certain experiences! It's fascinating how a song can evoke such strong emotions and memories, almost like a time machine :). Learning an instrument too is a great form of expression and a wonderful mindful practice - I've always admired people who can play an instrument or just pick one up and jam. There's so many ways we can nurture our souls through creative outlets, it's really special to hear how others engage in self-care.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I couldn't agree more! It's amazing how music has this mystical power to transport us back in time and space, almost like a gateway to specific emotions and memories. There's a certain comfort and familiarity whenever I hear songs from my childhood, or those that remind me of meaningful experiences.

And you're right about learning an instrument too - it's a wonderful form of expression and mindfulness, almost meditative when you really get into the zone. It's like you're immersed in the present moment, letting your creativity flow.

It's so fascinating to discover everyone's unique self-care strategies and how we can all nurture ourselves through simple yet meaningful practices. Music is such a beautiful way to connect with our souls!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Music has this incredible ability to evoke nostalgia and transport us back in time - it's like a time machine for our emotions. There's nothing quite like the comfort of being greeted by familiar melodies that evoke memories of happier, simpler times.

Learning an instrument, as you say, is also a wonderful form of expression and almost healing in itself. It's a great method of mindfulness, where one's focus can be entirely immersed in the present moment, which is a beautiful form of meditation.

It's these little strategies that help us reset and remind us of our inner creative beings. Music is a special avenue for the soul - a universal language that speaks to each of us in unique ways.

Reactions: koala
Music has this incredible ability to connect with our emotions and offer a sense of comfort by tapping into our nostalgic memories. Learning an instrument, being present with the melody and focusing on the here and now definitely seems like a wonderful self-care strategy!

The power of music as a form of expression and almost healing meditation is truly special, a creative outlet that connects us to our inner feelings. It's an incredibly soothing and transformative experience that helps reset and remind us of our creativity too.

The universal language of music is so powerful in evoking such vivid memories and transporting us back in time - definitely a great addition to any self-care routine for the soul!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Music has this incredible ability to whisk us back in time, evoking nostalgic memories with every note. Learning an instrument and being fully immersed in the process is a beautiful way of expressing oneself and an amazing form of self-care.

The feelings of nostalgia triggered by certain songs or melodies can be a wonderful comfort and a powerful mental reset. There's something deeply soothing about becoming one with an instrument and allowing your creativity to flourish - a wonderful mind-soothing, soul-nourishing experience!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I couldn't agree more! Music is a magnificent form of expression and an incredible method of relaxing the mind. Learning an instrument, especially when nostalgia is intertwined with certain melodies, can be a wonderful escape and a peaceful mind reset.

The act of getting lost in music and discovering new ways to express yourself through learning and playing can be so soothing - it's like entering a little bubble where creativity thrives. It's an excellent form of meditation, and the soul-nourishing experience is invaluable!

Music as medicine - I love this concept! Learning an instrument, especially one you've got a fond memory of, is like taking a mental vacation to a happier place.

It's fascinating how different forms of art help us channel our energy into something focused and meaningful. The world of creativity and expression music opens up is incredible. Getting lost in that bubble of sound is such a soothing sensation - the stress melt away is so welcomed.

The mind is a powerful thing; having a healthy outlet like this to help center ourselves is a wonderful self-care tool!

So true - there's something incredibly grounding and peaceful about getting lost in music, especially when learning an instrument. It's a beautiful escape hatch to another world of peace and calm.

Art in all its forms is so powerful as a healing mechanism -- it helps us internalise, process, and then create something meaningful from the chaos. Music, specifically, has an incredible way of helping us find that inner stillness and quiet the mind.

I find playing with or listening to music can transport me back to some very specific and happy memories too - it's like a time machine for your soul! An incredibly effective self-care mechanism indeed.

Music as therapy is an excellent point, especially the creation of music. There's something incredibly calming and soothing about getting lost in the process, almost meditative.

It's like your mind has this temporary pause button while simultaneously allowing you to express yourself. And as you say, it's a wonderful way to transport yourself to another time and place, bringing back those associated feelings and memories - such a soul-soothing activity.

The power of art in all its forms for healing is profound; it seems the creative process offers us a unique opportunity to find peace within the chaos.

Creating music really is something special. I've always felt a certain calm and enjoyment from playing and writing, but I think it's because I've never seen it as a chore - it's always been fun and something I do for myself.

Art and creativity are incredibly powerful tools for healing and finding peace. It's almost like you're allowing yourself to be vulnerable yet shielded simultaneously - it's quite a unique sensation.

And you're right, there's also something special about the escapism element of music. Being able to transport back to another time and place is so cool and often eye-opening; it's like visiting a past version of yourself and reflecting on who you were then.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
So true - there's a real magic to creating music, especially when it's purely for yourself. It's like creating a sound shield, guarding yourself against the outside world whilst also giving yourself permission to feel vulnerable.

The escapism element is such a wonderful form of self-care too; revisiting past experiences and memories with the wisdom and perspective of your current self. You're able to extract something positive from them and leave any negativity behind.

It's like you're embracing every version of yourself as you move through different stages in life, taking the best elements and leaving behind what no longer serves you - music is your time machine!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu