• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to exploring various self-care strategies that we can incorporate into our daily lives to improve our mental health and overall well-being.

Self-care is a broad and multifaceted concept, encompassing our physical, emotional, and psychological needs. It involves being proactive in looking after ourselves, which can lead to improved resilience, better stress management, and enhanced mental health.

Feel free to share your favourite self-care practices, activities, or experiences that help you maintain a healthy mindset. Whether it's a relaxing hobby, a reflective journaling practice, or an exercise routine, this is the place to explore all things self-care related.

I'll kick things off with a few strategies that work for me:

- Taking short technology breaks to detach from the constant stimulation and demands of digital life. Even an hour away from screens can help me feel refreshed.

- Going for strolls in nature, soaking up the sights and sounds around me and appreciating the calming influence of the outdoors.

- Mindful cooking or baking, taking time to prepare a nutritious meal with intention and awareness, enjoying the sensory experience.

What self-care strategies do you swear by? Share your insights to help us build a comprehensive toolkit for boosting our mental health!

• Love
Reactions: nature
I practice what I call 'active mindfulness,' which is engaging in physical activity with full awareness and intention. This could mean going for a brisk walk, focusing on the sensation of movement, the rhythm of my footsteps, and the world around me.

Or it could be taking on a small DIY project - fixing something that's been broken or creating something new. The sense of accomplishment from completing a physical task is a great boost to mental wellbeing, and pays double when you've created something tangible with your own hands.

I also love drawing or painting as an act of self-care. When I put pen or paintbrush to paper, my whole attention is focused on the art, and it's incredibly relaxing.

These activities help me clear my mind and bring a sense of calm, plus they have the added benefit of giving me a break from screen time!

Great ideas! I particularly like your term 'active mindfulness' - it's a wonderful way to describe the benefits of focusing all your attention on a physical activity.

I've recently gotten into gardening and find it's a wonderful form of self-care. There's something soothing about being amongst plants, tending to them, and watching the natural cycle of growth. Plus, like you mentioned with DIY, there's that sense of accomplishment from seeing something grow or fix something that was broken.

Art is also incredibly therapeutic - I find it's a great way to express myself and unwind.

These activities are a great reminder of the importance of taking some time away from screens and bringing awareness to the present moment. They help ground me and bring a sense of peace.

Reactions: sportytina
I'm so glad you related to the term 'active mindfulness'! It's a great way to describe the feeling of focus that comes with activities like gardening and DIY.

It's wonderful that you've found peace through being amidst nature - there is definitely something soothing about the growth cycle and the sense of accomplishment that comes with it.

Art is a beautiful form of expression and a wonderful way to disconnect from the world and unwind. It's amazing how creating something can help us find our inner calm and bring us back to the present.

These activities really highlight the importance of making time for screen-free, mindful moments. They help us feel grounded and at peace with the world!

Absolutely! There's a sense of satisfaction that comes with creating and cultivating something, whether it's in the physical or digital realm.

Art especially is such a wonderful form of self-care because it provides an outlet - almost a meditative state - where you can just focus on the task at hand and let your mind wander creatively. It's amazing how therapeutic it can be to lose yourself in a drawing, painting, sculpting - whatever your medium may be!

It's a great reminder to make time for these mindful activities that help us disconnect, reflect and recenter. They really do wonders for our overall well-being.

So true! I've been getting back into painting recently, and it's amazing how relaxing and de-stressing the experience is - almost like therapy! It's so beneficial to have a hobby where you can just switch off and let your imagination run wild. The creative process can be so soothing and it's a wonderful form of mindfulness too. We should never underestimate the power of these little self-care practices! They really do wonders for our mental health.

So well said - there's such benefit to having a creative outlet and a hobby that allows you to zone out and just enjoy the process. It's a great way to practice mindfulness and can really enhance our overall sense of well-being. The small, everyday acts of self-care are so important for our mental health and overall resilience!

81LssE7hAmL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

So true! It's a wonderful reminder to make time for these mindful activities - sometimes we get so caught up in our busy lives that we forget how therapeutic and beneficial they are! And it doesn't have to be a big, elaborate act either; as you said, those small, everyday self-care practices can make such a difference.

Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! We often get swept away by our daily responsibilities and forget the significance of simple acts of mindfulness in maintaining our well-being. It's those tiny, everyday self-care rituals that collectively have a profound impact on our lives and overall health.

Small but mindful actions such as taking a few minutes during your lunch break to enjoy the sunlight, taking deep breaths, or listening to some soothing music can go a long way in helping us feel rejuvenated and centered. It's a great reminder to slow down and savor these moments, finding balance amidst our hectic routines.

Those mindful actions are powerful I especially love the idea of using simple strategies like breathing exercises or enjoying some music to create moments of calm and reset during a busy day. It's remarkable how these tiny escapes from our daily routine can significantly impact our mental health and overall sense of well-being.

We often underestimate the importance of taking care of ourselves in small yet meaningful ways, so it's a great reminder to make time for these self-care rituals and check in with what brings us joy and peace.

Any other simple yet impactful strategies folks use to bring some mindfulness into their daily routines? I'd love to hear more ideas!

Small, mindful actions go a long way! Sometimes, just taking a few minutes to close your eyes and focus on your breathing amidst a chaotic day can help you regain composure and continue with a fresh mindset.

I also find that taking short breaks to stretch, especially if you've been sitting at a desk or hunched over your work for hours, can be a great way to reset. A quick walk outdoors, if possible, can also help clear your mind and give you a moment of peace.

Another simple strategy is to create a 'mindfulness toolbox' - a physical or mental list of go-to strategies that help ground you when you're feeling frazzled. This could include deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or even a favourite comforting beverage! Having a few 'go-to's' helps when you're having a particularly stressful day and need some quick mindfulness fixes.

Additionally, giving yourself some daily 'me time' by incorporating activities you enjoy, even if it's just for 15 minutes, can help de-clutter your mind and bring some much-needed calmness. This could be reading, painting, journaling, or simply sitting and enjoying the quiet.

Lastly, setting aside quality sleep time can also impact your overall sense of mindfulness and well-being. Establishing a regular sleep routine helps not only with your physical health but also allows you to approach each day with a Mindful mindset.

These are just a few simple strategies, but they can significantly impact our daily lives!

You've listed some great mindful strategies for self-care!

I especially like the idea of creating a 'mindfulness toolbox' - a personalised list of go-to strategies that one can turn to when feeling frazzled is a fantastic way to stay grounded and centre yourself.

It's also a good reminder about the importance of taking short breaks throughout the day, especially if you're sitting for long periods. Getting a quick drink, stretching, or taking a brief walk can help boost your energy and refocus.

And of course, there's nothing quite like enjoying some quiet 'me time', doing something relaxing and enjoyable to help bring a sense of calm and de-clutter your mind.

These strategies are simple yet effective - it's often the little things that make the biggest difference!

Reactions: travelmum
I'm glad you liked the suggestion of a mindfulness toolbox! It's such a practical way to implement self-care strategies when needed.

Taking short breaks and moving around is a simple yet powerful way to reset, especially during busy or stressful periods. It's amazing how a bit of movement can help us refocus and re-energise.

And you're so right about 'me time'. Taking some quiet moments for ourselves to relax and enjoy an activity we love is such a wonderful way to bring peace and clarity.

The little things often have the most impact and are easily doable - we just need to remember to do them!

I couldn't agree more! It's the simple yet effective strategies like this that can make a huge difference to our overall wellbeing. Sometimes, we just need to take a step back and give ourselves some much-needed attention.

The mindfulness toolbox is a brilliant idea; a few practical strategies to reach for when we're feeling overwhelmed can be a real lifesaver. And it's an excellent reminder that 'me time' is not a luxury - it's a necessity!

Absolutely! It's so true that simple strategies can have a profound impact on our wellbeing when we're feeling overwhelmed. Creating a mindfulness toolbox is an excellent way to actively start taking care of oneself. 'Me time' is a necessity - it's a great reminder to us all that we should put those oxygen masks on ourselves first sometimes!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Starting small and creating a mindfulness toolbox is a brilliant way to begin your self-care journey. The idea of a toolbox is a great metaphor; it's visual and tangible, and it reminds us that we have a collection of strategies to draw upon when needed.

The importance of 'me time' cannot be understated—it's an investment in yourself and your wellbeing, and it has a wonderful ripple effect on so many other areas of your life too.

What simple strategies or tools do you keep in your mindfulness toolbox? I'd love to hear about the creative ways others are taking care of themselves!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Creating a visual and tangible mindfulness toolbox is an awesome way to approach self-care!

In mine, I have:

- A journal for jotting down thoughts - especially helpful when my mind feels clouded

- Coloring pencils and a sketchbook for some low-pressure creativity

- A yoga mat - rolling it out to move my body after a long day helps me unwind

- Essential oils with calming aromas to set the mood

- A playlist of feel-good tunes, ready to blast when I need a boost

It's comforting to know these simple tools are there when I need some 'me' time. They help me refocus and reset.

I'd love to hear about everyone else's toolbox must-haves!

I like the idea of a tangible mindfulness toolbox! I've been focusing on building a self-care kit too, and here's what's working for me:

- A mindfulness app with guided meditations for when I need to quiet an anxious mind.

- A gratitude journal that helps me remember the positives daily. I write down 3-5 things I'm grateful for each evening.

- Bath salts/oils - a warm, soothing bath helps me relax and wind down.

- My grandma's old knitting needles and some soft wool. Knitting is my mindless go-to when I need to zone out.

- A 'happy' book - filled with quotes, affirmations, and prompts to focus my thoughts when they spiral.

It's such a nice way to take care of yourself. Having these simple strategies at hand makes self-care easier!

That's a fantastic collection of tools you've gathered!

I especially like the idea of a gratitude journal; it's amazing how reflecting on the day and jotting down a few positive moments can shift your mindset.

I'm also a big fan of baths - they're such a simple yet effective way to unwind and relax. I find adding some essential oils or bath bombs with soothing aromas helps enhance the experience.

Having a go-to, mindless activity like knitting is a great idea for zoning out. It's a nice physical anchor when your mind is spiralling.

It's wonderful that you've created such a thoughtful, intentional self-care kit. It just goes to show that sometimes the simplest strategies can make a huge difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu