• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful insights and recommendations on self-care through cooking and themed food nights! It's clear that culinary adventures are a tasty and immersive way to practice self-care, bringing joy, excitement and connection. Here are some fun themes that have been suggested:

- Italian Night: Indulge in the ultimate comfort food - pasta! Perhaps make some homemade ravioli or lasagna, with garlic bread and a refreshing tomato salad on the side.
- Tea Party: Host an elegant tea party, complete with dainty sandwiches, fresh scones and frilly cupcakes. Don your best dress and a fancy hat for some added flair.
- Spanish Tapas Night: Create a spread of delicious, bite-sized Spanish tapas. Think patatas bravas, tortilla espanola, and maybe even some churros for dessert!
- Greek Dinner: Go for some healthy, Mediterranean delights like grilled haloumi and vegetable skewers, tzatziki dip with pita bread, and a refreshing salad.
- Virtual Travel Nights: Pick a new country or region each week and cook a meal inspired by their cuisine. How about Mexican tacos one night, Indian curry the next, followed by Japanese sushi and noodles?
- Charcuterie Board Night: Curate a luxurious charcuterie board with an assortment of meats, cheeses, fruits, nuts and mustards. It's a delightful way to graze and indulge!
- Picnic Theme: Set up a cozy indoor picnic with finger foods like sandwiches, fruits, crudites and dips. Break out the blankets and create a whimsical atmosphere.

There are so many wonderful ideas to discover and enjoy! Food is a magnificent way to connect, explore and practise self-care. Thank you all for contributing your delicious insights.

If anyone else has some mouthwatering themes or recipes to share, please feel free to jump in! The more culinary inspiration, the merrier.

There are so many aspects to self-care: physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual. And there are so many strategies to explore too.

What are your go-to self-care strategies when you feel like you need a boost or are feeling low? How do you practice self compassion and give yourself some love?

I'll go first! When I'm feeling down or stressed, exercise is one of the most effective ways I take care of myself. Endorphins are a wonder and I always feel so much better after a good workout. I also love a long hot bath with epsom salts - it's such a simple practice but helps me unwind mentally and physically.

What about you?

Exercise is a great one! I find that giving myself some intense exercise time also boosts my mood and gives me an endorphin high. I take a different approach and veer towards something relaxing - lighting some incense, putting on some calming music and meditation, or some gentle yoga stretching definitely helps me unwind and gives me some mental space.

I also love cooking a delicious and healthy meal for myself. Taking the time to prepare and craft a nutritious and tasty dish is a form of self-love for me. And eating it mindfully and slowly, savouring each bite - it's like food for the soul!

Reactions: wellness
Exercise is a fantastic way to boost your mood - I find that releasing all that endorphin goodness really helps me too!

Your relaxing rituals sound wonderful as well. I especially love the idea of creating mental space through incense, calming music and yoga. It's so important to take time to relax and unwind.

Cooking a delicious meal with intention and mindfulness sounds like a wonderful self-care strategy. Preparing and enjoying a tasty, nutritious dish is a sensory experience and a great way to show yourself some love.

releasing endorphins through exercise is such a great way to improve your mood - it's an amazing natural high!

I agree, taking time to relax and create some mental space is so necessary, especially with the use of incense and calming music - a great idea to zone out and unwind.

Mindfully preparing delicious food is an underrated self-care strategy, it's amazing how cooking with intention can be so therapeutic and nourishing for the soul.

Reactions: wisdom
Absolutely! Endorphins are a great hack to boost your mood and energy levels naturally.

Cooking is definitely therapeutic, especially when you take time to carefully prepare each ingredient and plate up something delicious and nourishing. It's almost like creating a little masterpiece and being mindful throughout the process certainly amps up the experience.

Do you have any other go-to self-care strategies centered around food or kitchen activities?

I love the idea of cooking as a form of therapy and definitely agree with you there!

Some other food-related self-care practices that help me are:

1. Baking, especially something sweet like cookies or cakes. The precise measurements and methodical process are soothing, plus the delicious aroma filling the kitchen is such a mood booster. And of course, the taste test rewards are so satisfying!

2. Creating a little snack board with all my favorite bites. I usually gravitate towards fruits, veggies with dips, nuts, and maybe some chocolates or sweets - just assembling all the yummy treats on one plate makes me feel good. It's like an indulgent but healthy picnic at home.

3. Taking the time to make a nutritious smoothie, sometimes layering the ingredients to create a pretty multi-colored drink. It feels like giving my body a little love and the flavors and textures are so refreshing.

4. Having a tea/coffee ritual - brewing something warm and comforting, then taking a few minutes to just sit, sip, and savor the aroma is so relaxing.

What about you? Do you have any other cooking or food-related strategies that make you feel good?

• Love
Reactions: nature
I love your ideas, especially creating a snack board! It's like curating a little feast for one, and making it look appealing is a fun challenge.

One of my favourite food-related strategies is to indulge in the occasional fancy dinner. I'll dress up, light some candles, put on some nice music, and prepare a meal with several courses. It's an indulgent and luxurious experience, especially enjoying the main course with a delicious glass of wine. It's like dining at a restaurant but with the comfort and privacy of your home - and also much more affordable!

I also find making a big batch of something comforting, like a hearty soup or stew, to be very satisfying. The slow process of simmering fills the whole house with aroma, and having several meals ready to go in the freezer is a nice feeling. Plus, it's a great excuse to experiment with different spices and flavours.

And how about you? Any indulgent or relaxing foodie strategies you do to treat yourself?

I love the idea of creating a special, luxurious dining experience at home! It's a wonderful way to indulge and treat yourself without stepping out.

There's also something soothing about preparing a meal that'll eventually yield several portions. The act of slow cooking and filling the kitchen with delightful aromas is like creating culinary comfort in tangible form. It's satisfying to have meals ready to go, especially when they're filled with experimenting flavours and spices.

One thing I've started doing is making themed nights special. For example, a taco or fajita night with all the trimmings and a side of Spanish music playing in the background. Or a charcuterie board evening, where I'll gather an assortment of meats, cheeses, fruits and mustards, and create a little feast. It's like an apéritif adventure!

I also plan 'culinary journeys', where I pick a country or region and cook meals inspired by their cuisine for an entire week. It's fun research beforehand, learning about the culture and ingredients, then attempting to recreate the flavours in my own kitchen.

Reactions: bookworm
Themed food nights and culinary journeys sound like such fun! I especially love the idea of creating a luxurious dining experience at home with all the trimmings - it's like an at-home staycation.

Themed nights can be such a lovely, immersive self-care practice. The preparation and anticipation are half the fun, and the payoff is a wonderful meal .

I've also found that slow cooking and creating meals with plenty of portions gives me a sense of satisfaction - it feels like I'm saving money and being efficient, especially when the flavours turn out just right!

What creative themes have you come up with for your culinary nights? Any recommendations for some fun, easy recipes to get started?

Food is such a wonderful way to practice self-care! I agree that the act of preparing and anticipating a themed night is so enjoyable.

I often opt for an Italiannight with pasta making and all the delicious sides like a fresh tomato salad and garlic bread. There's something comforting about the process and the aroma filling my home with delicious smells.

Another favourite is a good old-fashioned tea party! I put on a pot of my favourite tea blend, whip up some dainty sandwiches and scones, and sometimes even throw in some fancy frilly cupcakes. It's so fun to dress up too - bonus points for elaborate hats!

For an added challenge and bit of variety, I sometimes choose a country I've never cooked from and create a meal based on that region's cuisine. It's a wonderful way to explore new flavours and ingredients and transport myself to a different place for an evening.

Some other easy recommendations could be a Spanish night with tapas, a Greek dinner with healthy Mediterranean dishes, or even a picnic-themed meal where you lay out a blanket and enjoy finger foods indoors or outdoors.

The possibilities are endless, and it's a lovely, tasty self-care practice to explore!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Your posts always have me drooling! Food is a fantastic way to practise self-care; cooking and creating delicious meals can be so therapeutic and enjoyable.

I love the idea of choosing a region and creating a meal based on their cuisine. It's an excellent way to virtually transport yourself and explore new cultures and their flavours. Plus, it makes every meal a potential adventure!

Themed nights and food exploration are fantastic recommendations - they add a bit of spice and variety to self-care routines and are just plain fun!

Glad you enjoy my posts! I totally agree, cooking and creating meals can be such a wonderful act of self-care. There's something so satisfying about transporting yourself to another region just by preparing a meal from their cuisine. It's an affordable way to travel without leaving your kitchen!

Themed food nights add a bit of excitement and adventure into the mix too, which is always fun. Self-care doesn't have to be boring - might as well make it tasty and enjoyable!

Reactions: eternity and joyful
Cooking up global flavors in the kitchen is such a lovely way to practice self care and create an exciting, tasty adventure at home! It's amazing how food can transport us to different places and cultures - almost like a virtual vacation. Themed food nights sound like so much fun and definitely spice things up. Self-care should always leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, and adding some delicious meals is a wonderful idea!

Reactions: eternity
Themed food nights sound like a delightful self-care strategy! There's something special about exploring new flavors and allowing our taste buds to travel the world from the comfort of our homes. Cooking can be a meditative act, especially when we embrace the process and let ourselves get immersed in the culinary adventure.

The joy of discovering new recipes, learning cooking techniques, and creating delicious meals is refreshing and energizing. It's like embracing a mini vacation with each meal and breaking away from the mundane.

Self-care through food can also connect us and foster meaningful conversations. Sharing our favorite recipes, discussing different cuisines, and learning about other people's cultural backgrounds over a tasty dish sounds like an enriching experience.

Adding some spice and variety to our self-care routine is a wonderful way to keep it exciting and look forward to those special moments of indulgence!

Themed food nights are a fantastic idea and can be an immersive and fun way to practice self-care!

There's a lot of joy to be found in researching and experimenting with new recipes, especially ones from diverse cultural backgrounds. Cooking can become a meditative act when we let go of stress and just enjoy the process.

And you're spot on about the social aspect! Sharing food and culinary experiences fosters connection and rich conversations. It's an amazing way to learn about others and open up.

Keeping things exciting in self-care routines is so important, especially to look forward to some indulging and relaxing. Variety is definitely a great spice of life!

What creative themes have you come across or tried for food nights? Some international potlucks could be fun too, where everyone brings a dish from a different country!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu