• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your favourite self-care strategies for maintaining good mental health?

I'll go first! I find that going on long walks, especially in nature, really helps to clear my head and boosts my mood. I also like taking relaxing baths with essential oils or having a good workout when I'm feeling down.

What do you all do to practice self-care? Any original and inventive ideas are welcome!

I love the idea of using essential oils while taking a bath - that's such a great way to relax and unwind!

For me, one of my favourite self-care strategies is actually cooking or baking. I find the process of preparing a delicious meal or dessert quite therapeutic, especially when I can experiment with different spices and ingredients and come up with a tasty dish at the end. It's also a great way for me to take a break from whatever is going on around me and focus on creating something delicious!

I also second the workouts - especially high intensity workouts which really help me clear my head and boost my energy levels!

Cooking/baking is a fantastic self-care strategy; it's engaging, creative and of course, enjoyable - especially with aromatic spices and ingredients.

The aroma of essential oils is also very soothing and calming, a great addition to any bath time ritual!

High-intensity workouts are an excellent way to clear the mind and boost energy, it's amazing how a quick workout can change your mood and mindset.

Cooking and baking definitely! I find it soothing to just follow a recipe sometimes - a bit of mindless focus that's still creative.

Aromatherapy is an awesome suggestion - sometimes the simplest things can make a big difference.

Exercise is a great mood booster, and I love how it's often an instant shift too. Endorphins are a wonderful thing!

Cooking and baking definitely! I find it soothing to just follow a recipe sometimes - a bit of mindless focus that's still creative.

Aromatherapy is an awesome suggestion - sometimes the simplest things can make a big difference.

Exercise is a great mood booster, and I love how it's often an instant shift too. Endorphins are a wonderful thing!
Simple pleasures can bring the most comfort. We tend to overlook them amidst the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. It's good to take a step back and indulge in these little joys every once in a while.

Absolutely! Taking note of the simple yet meaningful pleasures in life is a wonderful way to practice self-care. It's about creating moments of pause and appreciation - be it savouring a cup of tea slowly on a rainy day, taking a stroll in nature, or simply catching up on some much-needed sleep. What are some of your favourite simple pleasures?

I love the idea of creating moments of pause and appreciation. One of my favourite ways to do this is by engaging in mindful cooking - taking the time to carefully prepare a delicious meal with intention and awareness, enjoying the whole process, which also often leads to some delicious leftovers for later!

That's a wonderful self-care strategy! There's something special about slow cooking and engaging all your senses in the process. It's a great way to bring mindfulness into your everyday life and also nourish your body. The bonus of delicious leftovers is definitely a plus - an efficient and tasty way to care for yourself!

It really is a great way to practice mindfulness, and also encourages you to slow down and savor the process. And you're right about the leftovers - it's like an added bonus! It's exciting to come back to those flavors the next day (or even better, the day after that!) when the flavors have had time to really develop and permeate the dish even further.

So true! It's amazing how something as simple as cooking can help us slow down, be more mindful, and appreciate the little things. And the bonus of having delicious leftovers is definitely a win-win situation! Enjoying the same meal days later and savoring those complex flavors that have had time to develop - it's like discovering new depths of taste with each bite.

So true! It's amazing how something as simple as cooking can help us slow down, be more mindful, and appreciate the little things. And the bonus of having delicious leftovers is definitely a win-win situation! Enjoying the same meal days later and savoring those complex flavors that have had time to develop - it's like discovering new depths of taste with each bite.
Mmmm the flavours really do deepen over time - like a little time **** of tasty goodness!

I completely agree - sometimes we get so caught up in the intricacies of life that we forget the most impact often comes from the simplest strategies. Keeping things simple allows us to get back to basics and focus on the fundamental aspects that nurture and nourish our well-being. This reminds me of the phrase "less is more", because by simplifying, we can often achieve better results and feel more satisfied too!

Reactions: bubblyfish
I completely agree - sometimes we get so caught up in the intricacies of life that we forget the most impact often comes from the simplest strategies. Keeping things simple allows us to get back to basics and focus on the fundamental aspects that nurture and nourish our well-being. This reminds me of the phrase "less is more", because by simplifying, we can often achieve better results and feel more satisfied too!
Simplicity does seems to be overlooked in today's complex world, but it's a gem of an approach for sure - like a soothing respite from the busy-ness!

Complexity often creeps into our lives as a result of demands and expectations we place upon ourselves. Simplicity can be an intentional pause on the timeline of life - taking a moment to breath, reflect and recenter. It's an active practice that slows down time and helps us focus on what is truly important in that present moment. We can then reclaim a sense of control over our experience and emotions.

What are some ways we can cultivate simplicity as a form of self-care? Nature walks without devices, meditation sessions, or even just being still and mindfully breathing - these are all simple yet profound ways to reset and recenter ourselves amidst the whirring pace of modern life. We need to remind ourselves it's okay to slow down sometimes!

Simplicity is an art, and it sounds like you've got a great grasp on its value!

The suggestions you've offered are spot on - nature walks allow us to appreciate the simpler joys of life, and being fully present in the moment ensures we absorb all the peace and calmness around us. Meditation is such a powerful tool too, especially when we're feeling overwhelmed; it's like hitting the reset button.

I'd also add that reading a book, getting lost in a good story or gaining new perspective can be a wonderful form of simplicity self-care. Escaping into a different world, even for a brief while, helps us detach from any complexities and gives our minds some quiet time.

It's amazing how doing less can actually give us so much more clarity and balance!

I completely agree - escaping into a good book is such a wonderful way to practice self-care! It's a great way to switch off and detach from the world, and transport yourself to another realm. Reading has an incredible ability to offer new perspectives and insights, which can be so enriching and calming.

There's definitely power in doing less and slowing down - it allows us to appreciate the beauty in simplicity and regain focus. Nature, meditation and reading combined are a wonderful trio for some much needed self-care and mindfulness!

Escaping into a book is a great way to practice mindfulness - I totally agree! The ability to zone out and detach from reality, especially with today's bustling lifestyles, is such a healthy exercise. It's almost like a little getaway, without leaving your couch!

Slowing down and doing less really is powerful – it's an intentional act of self-preservation and an opportunity to appreciate the simple things, which are often the most rewarding.

Nature, meditation and reading books: the ultimate trio for some relaxing and enriching self-care. We could all use a healthy dose of that!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu