• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
How do you practice self-care? What strategies work best for you?

Share your go-to self-care practices, big or small, that help you tend to your mental well-being. Whether it's a leisurely walk in the park, journaling, meditation, or a good old binge-watching session, we want to hear about it!

What do you do to proactively take care of yourself? How does it make you feel? Do you have any self-care tips for situations when we're feeling down, stressed, or burnt out? Let's share our best self-care strategies and create a list of go-to techniques that we can all turn to!

One thing I've started doing recently is setting up "me days." It usually happens on weekends, where I wake up early despite sleeping late, make myself a nice breakfast and just enjoy the morning sunlight with a good book. Sometimes, I turn to virtual reality gaming too - the immersive world helps me disconnect from any negative thoughts and just focus on having fun.

On other occasions, I put on some relaxing music, light up some scented candles, and treat myself to a long, indulgent bubble bath. Wrapping myself in a cozy robe after that, along with a hot cup of tea, makes me feel so comfortable. I also find that cleaning and organizing my space is therapeutic - it helps me clear mental clutter and the physical environment I'm in.

These activities don't take up much time, but they help me reset and re-center myself. It's amazing how doing something that's just for you can help rejuvenate your mind and put you in a better headspace!

That all sounds amazing! I especially love the idea of "me days" and how intentional they are - it's such a great way to ensure you're prioritizing your own wellbeing and taking some much-needed time to relax.

The VR idea is fantastic too; sometimes, a total mind escape is the best reset, and it's an awesome bonus if it helps detach from any negative thoughts. I also can't agree more about the satisfaction of a good clean and organized space - it's a very satisfying way to bring some order to your mental space too.

It's wonderful that you're finding these strategies helpful for your mind. We often forget how crucial and rejuvenating self-care is!

I'm so glad you related to the thread!

The power of a 'me day' is underrated, and it's an easy, intentional way to practice self-care. It doesn't have to be a whole day even; sometimes, taking a few hours just for yourself makes a huge difference.

VR has been a fun discovery too - an immersive escape from reality that helps reset my perspective, especially with some relaxing nature gigs. There's so much power in creating a peaceful internal space through external methods!

And yes, the satisfaction of a good declutter is very therapeutic - it's like giving your mind a little spruce up, isn't it?

We could all benefit from these reminders to look after ourselves a bit more. It's so easy to let self-care slip down the priorities list!

Totally! I've found that giving myself some time each week for activities I enjoy, like painting or a good long walk, makes a huge difference. Sometimes it's easy to forget how beneficial this 'me' time can be -- thanks for the reminder!

I'm yet to try VR, but it sounds amazing! It's great that it helps give you a different perspective and a peaceful state of mind. I'm definitely going to look into trying it out soon because, like you said, sometimes escaping reality is so refreshing.

And I love the way you described the satisfaction of a good declutter -- giving your mind a 'spruce up' is spot on! It's amazing how clearing out physical space can help make mental space feel lighter too. It's such an easy and tangible way to practice self-care.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
I've also found that setting aside some weekly 'me' time for activities I enjoy really helps, especially as a reminder of how important and beneficial self care is.

And yes, escaping reality every once in a while through VR has been such a fun and relaxing experience - almost like a mini vacation! It's amazing how a good decluttering session can give your mind a much-needed refresh too. There's something satisfying about creating physical space and clearing mental clutter - it's like giving your mind a well-deserved make over!

I couldn't agree more! Taking that dedicated time for yourself is so important, especially in today's fast-paced world where we're always on the go. It's refreshing to hear you've found an outlet through VR - sometimes stepping into another reality gives your mind the break it needs to come back refreshed and recharged.

There's a sense of satisfaction that comes with clearing out the mental clutter; it's like wiping the slate clean and making space for new, positive thoughts and perspectives. It's an often underrated practice that can have such a profound impact on our overall well-being. Keep up the good work!

What other self-care strategies do you employ? Would love to hear more about how others find their mind's space and peace.

I've been getting into mindfulness and meditation recently, which has been helping me clear my mind. I also love a good workout - running especially - to blow out some steam and focus on something physical when my mind is feeling overloaded. There's nothing like that post-workout buzz!

I'm also a big fan of a good old journal, especially for venting or brainstorming. Sometimes it's nice to get the thoughts down on paper (or digitally) and visually see what's going on in your head - plus you can rip up the evidence afterwards if you're worried about privacy haha.

I'm always keen to hear new ideas too - my self-care toolkit could always do with some new additions!

Mindfulness and meditation are great practices, and combining them with a workout routine seems like a powerful combination!

The journal idea is an excellent way to visually organize your thoughts. I've found success with digital journaling too - especially with note-taking apps on my phone. There's something satisfying about having a record of your thoughts and being able to reflect on them later, and the option to delete or organize as needed.

I also love the idea of adding some variety to our self-care toolkit! I've been getting into art lately - mainly drawing and painting. It's been fun exploring a new skill and tapping into my creative side. Plus, it's relaxing to just let your mind wander while creating something.

What other tools have people found helpful? I'd love to hear some more suggestions for ways to de-stress and focus on our well-being!

Art's a wonderful way to engage in some self-care; it's healing and meditative, especially when you allow yourself to get lost in the creative process.

I also enjoy taking long walks or hikes without my phone/music sometimes - just being present with nature, observing the surroundings, is surprisingly calming and clears your head.

A digital detox is another great strategy that helps me disconnect and focus on the present. Sometimes we get so caught up in capturing moments rather than actually experiencing them. Taking a break from social media and screens in general can be refreshing and gives you time to connect with yourself and your hobbies.

Cooking/baking is another therapeutic activity - creating something from scratch and then enjoying the fruits of your labor is satisfying, plus it stimulates your senses with aroma and texture.

And of course, never underestimate the power of a good night's sleep! Getting quality rest does wonders for your mind and body and can help you approach things with a fresh perspective.

Art's a wonderful way to engage in some self-care; it's healing and meditative, especially when you allow yourself to get lost in the creative process.

I also enjoy taking long walks or hikes without my phone/music sometimes - just being present with nature, observing the surroundings, is surprisingly calming and clears your head.

A digital detox is another great strategy that helps me disconnect and focus on the present. Sometimes we get so caught up in capturing moments rather than actually experiencing them. Taking a break from social media and screens in general can be refreshing and gives you time to connect with yourself and your hobbies.

Cooking/baking is another therapeutic activity - creating something from scratch and then enjoying the fruits of your labor is satisfying, plus it stimulates your senses with aroma and texture.

And of course, never underestimate the power of a good night's sleep! Getting quality rest does wonders for your mind and body and can help you approach things with a fresh perspective.
It seems like we've covered quite a bit of ground with these awesome strategies! Nature walks and disconnecting digitally has got to be one of my favorites too - there's just something about being surrounded by greenery that instantly calms me.

And I couldn't agree more about sleep - prioritizing good rest does make such a huge difference to our perspective and mood. It's amazing how these simple practices can have such an impact!

What other easy, everyday strategies can we share to keep ourselves in check? after all, self-care is a daily practice!

Some of my go-to self-care practices include taking long, relaxing showers and listening to calming music.

A shower can be such a soothing and rejuvenating experience when you let it be - sometimes I'll even take a cooler shower just to stand there a bit longer, enjoying the invigorating sensation. Similarly, putting together a playlist of slow, mellow songs that I love creates a little sanctuary, especially when doing mindless tasks like cleaning or getting ready.

I also like the idea of taking small breaks throughout the day - literally stopping whatever I'm doing, sitting up tall, and taking five deep breaths. It's amazing how such a simple practice can help me recenter, especially when I'm feeling frazzled.

And of course, indulging in a good book or show that takes my mind away from everyday stresses is always a winner!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Some of my go-to self-care practices include taking long, relaxing showers and listening to calming music.

A shower can be such a soothing and rejuvenating experience when you let it be - sometimes I'll even take a cooler shower just to stand there a bit longer, enjoying the invigorating sensation. Similarly, putting together a playlist of slow, mellow songs that I love creates a little sanctuary, especially when doing mindless tasks like cleaning or getting ready.

I also like the idea of taking small breaks throughout the day - literally stopping whatever I'm doing, sitting up tall, and taking five deep breaths. It's amazing how such a simple practice can help me recenter, especially when I'm feeling frazzled.

And of course, indulging in a good book or show that takes my mind away from everyday stresses is always a winner!
Wow, lots of awesome strategies shared here - some of which I can definitely resonate with! Taking those short breaks and making time to relax is so important, especially the simple deep breathing exercise which can instantly center your mind.

I'm a huge fan of long showers too, although my water bills say otherwise haha. There's just something therapeutic about that me-time, especially with some aromatherapy shower gel thrown in! And I agree - getting lost in a good story, be it in a book or an episode (or two) of a good series, is a wonderful way to unwind and forget your troubles.

For me, finding time to engage in some gentle stretching or yoga also helps, especially after a long day. It's a nice physical and mental reset, and makes me feel more grounded. What other little things do we do that make a big difference?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu