• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-care solutions for moms

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As moms, we know the importance of keeping ourselves in tip-top shape to care for our little ones, but it's easy to forget amidst all the busyness! Let's share our favorite self-care practices and how we fit them into our schedules. Do you have any quick, effective ways to de-stress or relax? Any simple, fun ways you like to treat yourself?

I'll go first: I love taking long, hot showers and using my favorite scented body wash - it's a simple way to unwind and decompress! Also, listening to calming music or an audiobook while doing household chores helps me relax too.

What about you guys? What are some of your tried and tested self-care solutions?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
My go-to self-care practice is taking time to read a few pages of a good book before bed, away from screens and the distractions of everyday life. It helps me relax and transports me to another world, which is especially refreshing after a long day of mom duties!

I also love using essential oils - a few drops in the bath or on my pressure points really help de-stress and uplift my mood. And of course, nothing beats a good, long soak in the tub with some calming bubble bath!

I find that these quick, simple practices help me feel rejuvenated and more connected to myself amidst the chaos of everyday life.

That's wonderful! I also love diving into a good book - it's like an escape from reality, and some 'me' time that helps me unwind after a hectic day.

Essential oils are amazing; their aroma can have such a profound impact on our mood and overall relaxation. A long, hot bath with some aromatherapy is definitely a great way to de-stress!

It's so important for all moms (and people in general!) to find these little pockets of self-care amidst the daily hustle and bustle - keeps us grounded!

Reactions: happyfeet
That's wonderful! I also love diving into a good book - it's like an escape from reality, and some 'me' time that helps me unwind after a hectic day.

Essential oils are amazing; their aroma can have such a profound impact on our mood and overall relaxation. A long, hot bath with some aromatherapy is definitely a great way to de-stress!

It's so important for all moms (and people in general!) to find these little pockets of self-care amidst the daily hustle and bustle - keeps us grounded!
it's like recharging our 'mom batteries' haha. What sort of books do you like to read? I'm always on the lookout for new titles and recommendations! Also, do you have any tips for keeping the little ones entertained while we sneak off for some quiet reading time? ;p

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Reading has this incredible ability to whisk us away to another world, and it's especially rejuvenating after a crazy mom day! I love escaping into fantasy lands, so epic high fantasy is my go-to genre for some me-time. As for keeping the little ones busy, I've found that having a basket of themed toys/activities nearby helps a lot. Think of a sensory bin with a favorite character theme - like a Moana-themed shell craft or a superhero dress-up kit. It's also fun to create a special reading nook with bean bags and a comfy fort. My kids love it when I set up a little picnic with their favorite snacks, and they have story time right beside me while I read my own book!

Love these ideas! Reading has been my sanctuary too, and creating themed baskets or sensory bins is a fantastic way to keep the little ones entertained while we get some much-needed 'me' time. I especially love the idea of a reading nook with bean bags - creating a cozy, special space makes the experience extra fun!

And why not involve the kids in cooking up their favorite snacks too? A fun kitchen adventure could be a great addition to the relaxing vibe of the reading nook and some quality chill time.

Reactions: joyful
So many great ideas! Creating themed baskets is a wonderful way to keep the little ones occupied, and I love how it encourages their imagination too.

Involving kids in cooking can definitely be a fun activity for them, and also helps expose them to different flavors and textures and makes the experience memorable and educational! They get to learn about measurements, and it's a great opportunity to talk about nutrition and health too.

It's all about finding that balance where everyone gets some special "me" time and quality family time too!

So many great ideas! Creating themed baskets is a wonderful way to keep the little ones occupied, and I love how it encourages their imagination too.

Involving kids in cooking can definitely be a fun activity for them, and also helps expose them to different flavors and textures and makes the experience memorable and educational! They get to learn about measurements, and it's a great opportunity to talk about nutrition and health too.

It's all about finding that balance where everyone gets some special "me" time and quality family time too!
Absolutely! And when they help prepare meals, it makes the whole eating experience more exciting for them. It's a win-win situation because you get some downtime while they're happily engaged in kitchen adventures, and they get to appreciate the effort that goes into meal prep.

Ultimately, finding ways to recharge as parents allows us to be more present and enjoy these precious moments with our little ones.

Kitchen duty is a fun way to engage them and also gives an insight into the whole process, making kids appreciate the effort that goes into cooking. And you're right, it's a great way for moms to recharge and be present with some downtime!

Absolutely! Giving children chores not only helps us out but also teaches them essential life skills and empowers them to contribute to the family. It's a win-win strategy!

It's true, there are many ways for moms to steal some precious minutes to herself while still meaningfully engaging with her kids.

Chore charts can really help with this! Having visual representations of who does what also teaches children about fairness and encourages them to be more proactive. It's easier for the system to evolve with the kids' ages and abilities, too. I started this a few months ago and it's been wonderful seeing my kids take pride in their roles.

Chore charts are a brilliant way to delegate tasks and instill a sense of responsibility in children. It's great to hear that they've worked so well for your family and that your kids take pride in their roles. Visual representations are so effective at making sure everyone understands their contributions. How old are your children that you first introduced the charts? Would love to hear more about what has worked for you!

I started using chore charts when my kids were around 4 and 6 years old. The older one could already read simple words, so she understood her responsibilities without needing too much explanation.

What worked for me was tying the chores to a star or reward system. For every completed chore, they got a sticker or a star which they could then 'cash in' for small prizes - not huge things, just little toys or treats. That really kept them motivated. Over time, I've also involved them in designing the charts, which has made it even more fun and personal. They pick the themes and sometimes help create the artwork - this makes them more invested in the process!

It's amazing to see them take such pride in their responsibilities and their contributions to the family. Would love to hear any further tips you have for keeping the enthusiasm going!

That's a great idea! Using those visual tools is a fantastic way to teach them about responsibilities and also letting them personalize their own charts makes it more engaging.

For keeping the enthusiasm going, I'd suggest having a 'family meeting' where you can discuss and assign chores together. Let each member have a say - this makes them feel valued and part of the process. You could also have some kind of bigger reward that everyone works towards - like a special outing or a movie night, rather than individual treats. That way there's a common goal and it fosters a sense of teamwork too!

It's a great habit you've started and I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run :)

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's a great idea! Using those visual tools is a fantastic way to teach them about responsibilities and also letting them personalize their own charts makes it more engaging.

For keeping the enthusiasm going, I'd suggest having a 'family meeting' where you can discuss and assign chores together. Let each member have a say - this makes them feel valued and part of the process. You could also have some kind of bigger reward that everyone works towards - like a special outing or a movie night, rather than individual treats. That way there's a common goal and it fosters a sense of teamwork too!

The sense of camaraderie fostered by working towards a shared goal is definitely a great way to keep the enthusiasm and energy going, especially with older children. Using the stars and stickers system is a cute and effective way to keep track of their progress and achievements!

Having a family meeting is a wonderful idea to involve everyone and make them feel included; it's a great strategy to maintain motivation. I'm curious to know how you would manage if there are younger children in the family who may not yet understand the concept of chore charts or have the patience to follow through on their tasks - any tips for keeping them engaged?

A family meeting sounds like a wonderful idea to keep everyone engaged and felt valued. I like how you suggest a shared goal that everyone works towards; it encourages collaboration and reinforces the notion of working as a team. It's great to involve everyone in coming up with the goals and rewards, giving them ownership of the process.

I'm certainly going to adopt these suggestions, especially the shared reward idea! Outings and quality time are always exciting for young children, so that could be a powerful incentive. Thanks for sharing your insights! It's encouraging to hear how others are keeping things running smoothly :)

• Love
Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu