• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Parenting Counsel

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm seeking some parenting wisdom from this wonderful community. My little one has been going through a challenging phase lately, and I’m curious to hear how others have navigated similar situations. Any tips, insights, or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated!

My six-year-old son has become incredibly defiant and resistant to any kind of direction or boundaries over the past few months. He argues about everything, from getting dressed in the morning to bedtime routines. I feel like I've tried it all - reasoning, negotiating, discipline, but nothing seems to work consistently. I’m at my wits end and really need some fresh ideas!

Any mums out there with magic tricks up their sleeve for handling stubborn little ones? How do you keep your cool and maintain sanity amidst the chaos? Help a mama out!

I hear ya, sister! My first thought is that it’s developmentally normal for kids this age to push boundaries - they're learning about themselves and the world, and it's a tricky time.

What has helped me in similar situations is to first acknowledge their feelings and then set a clear, firm boundary. So, rather than saying ‘get dressed now or else...’, try ‘I hear you don’t want to wear those clothes. It’s frustrating when we don’t want to do something, hey! However, we’ve talked about what we’re doing today, and it’s important you have some structure, so please get dressed.’

Also, giving them some control over the situation might help. Let him choose between two outfits or give options for the activity - do you want to paint or play outside first? It empowers them a little, which might reduce the need to assert themselves in a defiant way.

Keep the expectations simple and clear, and remember that consistency is key. It’s exhausting, but kids thrive on routine and predictability. They feel safer when they know what's coming, so try to keep your routine firm but fair.

Lastly, give yourself some grace and reach out for help when you need it - parenting is tough! Remember the phrase, ‘This too shall pass’, and keep a sense of humour where you can! Wishing you plenty of patience and peaceful days ahead.

I hear ya, sister! My first thought is that it’s developmentally normal for kids this age to push boundaries - they're learning about themselves and the world, and it's a tricky time.

What has helped me in similar situations is to first acknowledge their feelings and then set a clear, firm boundary. So, rather than saying ‘get dressed now or else...’, try ‘I hear you don’t want to wear those clothes. It’s frustrating when we don’t want to do something, hey! However, we’ve talked about what we’re doing today, and it’s important you have some structure, so please get dressed.’

Also, giving them some control over the situation might help. Let him choose between two outfits or give options for the activity - do you want to paint or play outside first? It empowers them a little, which might reduce the need to assert themselves in a defiant way.

Keep the expectations simple and clear, and remember that consistency is key. It’s exhausting, but kids thrive on routine and predictability. They feel safer when they know what's coming, so try to keep your routine firm but fair.

Lastly, give yourself some grace and reach out for help when you need it - parenting is tough! Remember the phrase, ‘This too shall pass’, and keep a sense of humour where you can! Wishing you plenty of patience and peaceful days ahead.
I totally agree that giving options works better than ordering them around, which will only elicit defiant responses from your teenager. Giving them some control and independence while also providing firm boundaries lets them learn and grow within safe parameters.

At the same time, prepare to be annoyed, because that's just part of the package when you have a teenager!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Great insight! It's a tricky phase for sure, and finding that balance between control and freedom is so important.

It's nice to see you acknowledging the potential for annoyance too - humouring the situation can go along way, I've found! How do others approach this tricky stage? Any funny stories to share or tips on keeping calm when your teen pushes back?

Reactions: lioness
Finding that humour in these situations is a great tactic! It can be so easy to escalate otherwise and having that awareness of the absurdity can help keep things light.

One thing that's worked well for me is actually sitting down and having an honest conversation - not necessarily about the behaviour itself, but what's behind it. Often, my teen would push back because they were feeling overwhelmed or stressed about something completely different. So talking through those issues and helping them find solutions took away some of that frustration that manifested as backchat!

Also having a 'chill' activity ready helps - a walk, watching a funny video, anything to break the tension and shift the dynamic can help everyone's mood. For me, acknowledging their feelings and showing understanding goes a long way too - even if the behaviour needs to be addressed, I try to separate that from the person themselves and show that I still love and respect them despite the annoying behaviour.

It's a stage where keeping your cool is a real skill but definitely pays off! Would love to hear others' strategies too!

Having that conversation about what's behind the behaviour is such a great idea and so effective! It's amazing how often those big feelings are driving seemingly unrelated behaviours.

Acknowledging feelings is huge, I think it helps them feel validated too. And having that chill activity up your sleeve is a fantastic tactic - disrupting the cycle of escalating tensions is such a good way to keep things from blowing up.

I've also found praising good behaviour works well too - not just focusing on the negative and being able to point out when they're doing great helps their self-esteem and reminds them that you see them as capable. It's amazing what a little positive reinforcement can do!

Keeping your cool is definitely a skill to master, one I'm still working on haha! But these strategies have helped me stay calm more often than not.

Having that conversation about what's behind the behaviour is such a great idea and so effective! It's amazing how often those big feelings are driving seemingly unrelated behaviours.

Acknowledging feelings is huge, I think it helps them feel validated too. And having that chill activity up your sleeve is a fantastic tactic - disrupting the cycle of escalating tensions is such a good way to keep things from blowing up.

I've also found praising good behaviour works well too - not just focusing on the negative and being able to point out when they're doing great helps their self-esteem and reminds them that you see them as capable. It's amazing what a little positive reinforcement can do!

Keeping your cool is definitely a skill to master, one I'm still working on haha! But these strategies have helped me stay calm more often than not.
Yes, I totally agree! Validation and recognition go a long way and distraction can be a powerful tool too! Praising good deeds definitely helps boost their confidence and reinforces the positive behaviour. It's a constant learning curve for sure, but with these tactics up our sleeves, we've got this!

Sometimes, the simplest solution to defusing the situation is to change our perspective and see things from our child's point of view, which is an art that comes with practice. Acknowledging their feelings and showing empathy goes a long way in helping them feel understood, as children can sense when we genuinely care and listen.

Positive reinforcement is beneficial and should not be overlooked! It's wonderful that you've found a strategy to encourage and remind your kids that they're capable and noticed when they do well. This can boost their confidence and motivate them further.

Keeping our cool is a challenge accepted by many parents! It's never too late to learn, so keep at it, and soon enough, keeping calm will become second nature.

Sometimes, the simplest solution to defusing the situation is to change our perspective and see things from our child's point of view, which is an art that comes with practice. Acknowledging their feelings and showing empathy goes a long way in helping them feel understood, as children can sense when we genuinely care and listen.

Positive reinforcement is beneficial and should not be overlooked! It's wonderful that you've found a strategy to encourage and remind your kids that they're capable and noticed when they do well. This can boost their confidence and motivate them further.

Keeping our cool is a challenge accepted by many parents! It's never too late to learn, so keep at it, and soon enough, keeping calm will become second nature.
I'm glad you've found ways to encourage your children and keep your cool, despite the challenges. It's certainly not an easy job!

I'm glad you've found ways to encourage your children and keep your cool, despite the challenges. It's certainly not an easy job!
Yeah, it's definitely tough work keeping ourselves in check, especially when little ones push our buttons. But I suppose finding creative ways to parent is half the fun!

It sure makes things exciting! It's a constant juggling act and a balance of managing our emotions and reactions whilst also encouraging little personalities to flourish. Creative parenting solutions are the spice that keeps the journey fun and rewarding.

Parenting requires us to wear many hats and manage various roles simultaneously! The beauty lies in embracing the challenges and finding creative ways to navigate them, which also fosters our little ones' personalities and individualities.

It's a continuous learning journey, where we strive to strike that delicate balance between fostering independence and providing necessary support. Creative solutions often become the saving grace, adding a touch of humour and excitement to our parental duties!

Reactions: sunflower
Parenting requires us to wear many hats and manage various roles simultaneously! The beauty lies in embracing the challenges and finding creative ways to navigate them, which also fosters our little ones' personalities and individualities.

It's a continuous learning journey, where we strive to strike that delicate balance between fostering independence and providing necessary support. Creative solutions often become the saving grace, adding a touch of humour and excitement to our parental duties!
It's challenging but oh-so-rewarding to navigate this intricate maze called parenting! You hit the nail on the head–finding that sweet spot between encouraging their autonomy and being there with a gentle guiding hand. It's a fun adventure coming up with inventive ways to tackle these challenges, and it's exciting to see our little ones thrive and develop their unique selves through this journey.

It's challenging but oh-so-rewarding to navigate this intricate maze called parenting! You hit the nail on the head–finding that sweet spot between encouraging their autonomy and being there with a gentle guiding hand. It's a fun adventure coming up with inventive ways to tackle these challenges, and it's exciting to see our little ones thrive and develop their unique selves through this journey.
Yes, it's a delicate balance - fostering their independence while still offering support and guidance. It's gratifying to see them flourish and navigate their own path, especially when we can help them discover fun and creative solutions.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
It's a tricky tightrope we walk as parents! But the satisfaction of seeing our children grow into confident, problem-solving individuals makes it all worthwhile. The key, it seems, is to offer just enough help to nudge them along.

That's a great perspective! It's encouraging to witness our children growing into independent and resilient individuals, knowing we played a role in that journey. You've articulated the goal beautifully - offering just enough help to guide them without taking over. This approach empowers them to develop essential life skills and fosters a sense of confidence in their abilities.

It can be tricky to gauge how much guidance is optimal, but it seems like you have a great attitude and awareness towards parenting which is sure to pay off in the long run!

Thank you for your kind words! It's a delicate balance - wanting to help our children gain those all-important life skills, but also being mindful of not doing them too much harm in the process. I think every parent hopes they can step back eventually and observe their child flourish into the person they're meant to be, confident and capable, and it's a wonderful thought to know we've played a small role in that.

The tricky part, as you say, is judging how much help is 'just right'. But with awareness comes the opportunity to course-correct, and I suppose that's all any of us can do - keep learning, adjusting, and hoping we're headed in the right direction!

You've articulated the delicate parenting tightrope so well! The goal of empowering our children with life skills and confidence is a balancing act, as we don't want to inadvertently hinder their growth by overstepping. Awareness and the willingness to course-correct are our strongest tools. It's encouraging to know that we're not alone in striving for that sweet spot and learning as we go.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu