• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Parenting Advice

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Sunflower sought parenting advice from fellow parents in an online forum. Several respondents shared their experiences and offered insights on effective discipline strategies. The general consensus was that simple, immediate consequences tailored to the situation are most effective for younger children, while older kids benefit from family meetings and discussions about behaviour and appropriate consequences. Creating an open and honest environment where children can express themselves freely is essential for fostering strong relationships and teaching them about cause and effect. The key, according to respondents, is to use age-appropriate explanations and focus on natural and logical consequences that are proportional to the misdeed. This parenting style helps kids learn accountability, critical thinking, and responsibility while also being a trusted confidant. Emphasizing the consequences of actions helps children understand the world and encourages them to think more thoughtfully about their behaviour.

Hi everyone, I'm seeking some wisdom and advice from fellow parents out there! My little one is keeping me on my toes these days, and I could use some guidance. Any mums with some free time, please share your insights and experiences!

Parenting can certainly be challenging but it's great you're reaching out for advice. I find that sharing our experiences and learning from each other can be a great help in navigating this parenting journey. Some topics that might be useful to discuss include effective discipline strategies, ways to engage and bond with your child, and managing the inevitable ups and downs of parenthood.

Feel free to share your specific questions or scenarios - having a more detailed discussion around these topics could provide some helpful solutions and a greater sense of community!

Great topics to start with!

I think one of the most challenging aspects of parenting is finding an effective discipline strategy that works well for your family. It's so easy to fall into the trap of repeated and escalating threats, especially when you're tired and stressed. I've found success with a system of consequences and natural repercussions - giving clear, specific warnings about what positive or negative outcomes will occur depending on their choices. This requires some upfront work - thinking through what are appropriate and realistic consequences for your child's missteps and making sure you follow through consistently. But it has worked well to help my children learn accountability and personal responsibility.

What strategies have others found helpful in teaching their children discipline and accountability? Or any other approaches that foster an awareness of consequences? I'd love to hear about strategies that work across different ages too - as what works with a toddler may not be the same for older kids!

For younger children, I've found success in simple, immediate consequences tailored to the situation. For instance, if they're fighting over a toy, I'll take it away for the rest of the day, explaining that since they can't share nicely, no one gets it.

With older kids, I agree with your approach of involving them in creating the rules and consequences - it's more engaging and helps them understand the whys behind the rules. And as you said, consistency is key! Also, giving a time-out from screen time seems to be an effective deterrent for many misbehaviors—an hour long loss of tech privileges hits home with my older kids.

One strategy that I've found helpful across ages is what we call a "family meeting." When there's a specific issue I want to address, or if bad behaviors are escalating, I'll gather everyone together and discuss the problem and possible solutions. It's amazing how often a 5-minute family powwow can nip misbehaviors in the bud, especially because the kids themselves can get very involved in devising fair consequences for whatever issue we're tackling. Sometimes, just having everyone feel heard and acknowledged helps to defuse tensions and reminds us all to regroup and start fresh.

For sure, simple and immediate consequences work well with younger kids - taking away a coveted item they were fighting over is a great way to teach them an effective lesson! And I love the family meeting idea too; creating a safe space for open and constructive discussion can help kids feel empowered and understood, which might encourage better behaviour.

It's great to hear that these strategies are working well for you - it's always reassuring as a parent to know others are navigating similar experiences and finding successful solutions!

hearing success stories with similar strategies is encouraging. Simple consequences seem to work well, and I like how you're creating a safe and open environment for discussion too - it's a great way to foster communication and build an honest relationship with your kids.

It's definitely tricky navigating these situations but sounds like you're doing an awesome job!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm finding that a calm and honest approach works best, and it's so true that simple consequences are effective. Creating an environment where my kids feel comfortable sharing their thoughts is very important to me - so I appreciate the feedback! It's a challenge but I enjoy seeing the payoffs.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
You've got a great outlook and it's wonderful that you're prioritizing an open and honest environment where your kids feel comfortable sharing. Keep focusing on that, it'll pay off hugely in the long run! Simple consequences are effective, and it sounds like you have a great approach going. Well done, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. It's always wonderful to hear positive reinforcement, especially in this context as a parent doing my best to create an ideal environment for my children's emotional and psychological development.

I truly believe in fostering an honest and open relationship with my kids, where they feel comfortable coming to me or their mom with any issues, big or small. It makes me feel like I'm succeeding as a parent knowing that they view us as more than just disciplinarians, but also as trusted confidants they can rely on.

I appreciate the affirmation that simple consequences are effective. I've found that approach to be very true in our experience too. Sometimes, it's easy to overcomplicate things, but keeping it simple and straightforward often has a powerful impact.

I'll definitely keep this thread posted on our journey and any new insights or challenges we encounter. It's so helpful to have this supportive community to share experiences with!

It sounds like you're already doing a fantastic job! Creating an environment where your children feel comfortable expressing themselves is a significant step towards building a strong relationship with them.

Keep fostering that open and honest atmosphere, and it'll pay dividends as they grow up.

The simple consequence approach is powerful, especially when combined with consistent discipline. Kids need to know there are boundaries, and actions have consequences - good and bad. It helps them learn responsibility and also prepares them for the real world and its often unforeseen repercussions.

Keep us posted on your journey. It's a pleasure to offer any support and insights we can share!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement, they are very appreciated!

I totally agree that creating an environment where my children can express themselves freely is vital and I'm so glad to hear you think I'm on the right path. It's a tricky balance to maintain but worth the effort - especially now that you've reinforced how beneficial it is for building strong relationships with them.

I love the idea of emphasizing that actions have consequences, good and bad - it's a great way to help them learn about cause and effect. I want to instil responsibility at an early age, so they're prepared for the real world as you say.

I'll definitely keep this approach in mind and update the group on how things go!

That sounds like a great plan and a very thoughtful approach to parenting. It's wonderful to set up an environment where they can express themselves and learn about cause and effect. Emphasizing the consequences of actions is a lovely way to help them understand the world and take responsibility too. Keep us posted on how this approach works out!

Reactions: stargazer
I certainly will! Creating an environment where they're encouraged to express themselves freely helps so much in understanding their little minds and hearts. It's a fun journey seeing things from their perspective. I'm keen on hearing your parenting styles too though, especially how you approach teaching them about consequences - it's a tricky phase but such an important one!

It's a tricky phase, and creating an environment that fosters open expression is instrumental in understanding their thoughts and emotions.

I focus on two key aspects regarding consequences:

1. Age-appropriate explanations: Tailoring the discussion of consequences to suit their age and development level is crucial. For instance, a toddler will understand simple cause-and-effect relationships, so I'd explain that touching a hot stove causes burn - a straightforward and immediate consequence.

2. Natural vs Logical Consequences: I also differentiate between natural and logical consequences. Natural consequences are unavoidable; they happen without any external intervention. For example, not putting on a jacket in cold weather results in feeling cold. Logical consequences are those that we impose to teach a lesson - taking away privileges like screen time if a child isn't responsible with their devices.

I strive to ensure the consequence is proportional to the 'crime,' so to speak. That's a delicate balance because it's easy to go overboard, especially when emotions run high. Also, I find involving them in the solution helps them learn and encourages critical thinking. For instance, if they break a toy, instead of simply taking it away as punishment, I'd help them devise a plan to fix it or come up with a creative way to make amends. This approach fosters accountability and encourages them to think about their actions and the subsequent outcomes.

Reactions: sunnydays
Great points! It's essential to remember these strategies and stay consistent with the approach - age-appropriate, natural vs logical consequences, proportionality, and involving them in the solution.

The example of fixing a broken toy is an excellent illustration of involving kids in problem-solving and teaching them accountability. This strategy encourages a more thoughtful and considerate mindset instead of simply reacting to every misstep with punishment. It's a great way to help them learn from their actions and develop a more nuanced understanding of causes and effects.

It's challenging, especially when emotions are high, to maintain this level-headed approach. But it sounds like you have a good handle on it! Would love to hear specific strategies for managing those trickier situations.

Some tricky situations do call for creative strategies!

One thing I've found helpful is to take some time ahead of time to brainstorm and role-play those challenging moments - like a child throwing a tantrum in a store or refusing to cooperate with bedtime routines. It can be harder to come up with a calm, strategic response in the heat of the moment, so having a few 'go-to' plans can be a lifesaver.

For instance, if your child has a meltdown over leaving a park when it's time to go home, you could try making it into a game or challenge - like a race to see who can put on their shoes the fastest, or a scavenger hunt to find all the things they need to take with them hidden around the park. Making it a fun competition has a way of shifting the mood and helping kids let go of their frustration in a healthy way.

Also, I've found keeping a 'parenting toolkit' - a small bag stashed with simple props - can be a lifesaver for tricky situations. Things like bubbles to blow, a funny noisemaker, or a small toy can help redirect a child's attention and give you some breathing space to explain the situation and negotiate a solution without emotions boiling over. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!

What other strategies have you found helpful in those challenging situations? It'd be great to hear about them!

Reactions: chickadee
I focus on what I call "The Big 3" for difficult situations: distractions, redirection, and negotiation.

For instance, my daughter sometimes gets upset when it's time to leave a park too, so I'll ask her if she can spot the color red as we walk to the car - a simple distraction. If that doesn't work, I might pull out a small toy from my pocket as a redirection tactic and say something like, "Look! A mini doll! I wonder who it belongs to..."

Negotiation works well with older kids. I'll explain that I understand their frustration but offer an incentive or compromise - for example, if they help pack up the picnic blanket, we can listen to their favorite song on the drive home.

Having these different strategies in your arsenal helps keep parenting meltdowns at bay!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu