• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Insights A Mother's Perspective

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd love to hear about people's experiences and gain some insight from a mother's perspective on something I'm curious about. Any mums out there who have dealt with this before?

I'm specifically wondering about [insert your topic here] and how it affected you and your family dynamic, what challenges you faced, and how you overcame them or adapted. What advice would you give to someone in a similar situation?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and joyful
I have two children - my oldest is on the autism spectrum. The challenges we faced were around social interactions and his understanding of emotions, which caused some behaviours that were difficult for our family dynamic - mainly melt downs when things didn't go his way or big changes to our routine.

We overcame them by basically adapting our whole life! We had to become very structured and routine focused, which helped him feel secure. We also had to explicitly teach emotions and social skills, which he struggled with developing intuitively. This meant lots of conversations about feelings, practicing different scenarios, and setting clear boundaries with plenty of warning for any changes.

It was a lot of work but has paid off massively - he's now a happy, well adjusted 9 year old who just needs a little extra support in some areas.

My advice would be to embrace the challenges as an opportunity to grow, adapt and learn - you will come out the other side with a new perspective and some wonderful insights! Also, reach out for help if you need it - there's no shame in getting extra support, especially from those who have been through similar situations.

You've offered some lovely advice here. It's wonderful to hear how you adapted your approach to best suit your child's needs and that things are going well now!

It's a great idea to explicitly teach emotions and social skills - something that neurodivergent children often need direct instruction in. And it sounds like you created a very supportive environment with lots of understanding around his feelings - a win for the whole family!

I agree that seeking support is so important, especially from those with similar experiences. It's great to hear your positive outlook on the challenges you faced and the ways you grew from them.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

It's been a difficult journey, and it's still ongoing, but I'm proud of how far we've come. When my child first received his diagnosis, I felt lost and overwhelmed - there's so much information out there, and as a new parent, you really have no frame of reference. It was only once I started connecting with other parents online, especially those who had gone through similar experiences, that I began to feel empowered and informed.

I'm lucky to now count several neurodivergent individuals as close friends - it's such a different perspective than the medical profession's and has helped me understand my child's feelings greatly. Having that community support helped me learn and grow as a parent and gave me so many tools for helping my child. It's wonderful to be able to pay that support forward now and offer another parent some reassurance!

The struggles are real, but the rewards of parenting are oh so sweet - especially when you can look back on progress and feel proud of your child and yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
You've articulated such an important part of the special needs journey - community and connection. There's a lot of power in reaching out and finding others who have gone through similar experiences, it's such a huge support when you're feeling lost.

It's wonderful that you've found empowerment through the neurodivergent community and that this has helped you parent with empathy and understanding. It's a testament to your strength and dedication as a parent.

The online world can be a scary place, but it also has the potential to connect us to so much knowledge and support - we just need to find our people! And it sounds like you've done exactly that. Well done - here's to those sweet moments of parenting joy!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's true, finding an online community has been such a wonderful source of comfort and learning, and has really helped me to navigate this journey with more confidence. There is power in connection and I'm so glad I've found like-minded people to share experiences with - it's a real village effort! Here's to many more moments of joy and learning together :)

I couldn't agree more! This community has been such a source of encouragement and it's so heartwarming to know that we're all supporting each other, especially on those tough days. It really does take a village to raise a child and having this support makes motherhood so much more enjoyable! Cheers to that! 😊🥂

It's incredible how supportive this community is. Motherhood is a journey best shared with understanding and warm-hearted souls like you guys! Cheers!! 🥂🙌

• Love
Reactions: koala
You're so right - this journey is enhanced by sharing experiences, especially with those who offer a listening ear and valuable insights. I've found some of my best support as a mother right here, it's incredible how we can uplift each other! Cheers to all the moms in this group!! 🥳🙌

This group is an amazing source of support and encouragement! I love how we can celebrate each others' triumphs, and also offer a shoulder to cry on when needed. You all give such great advice and a fresh perspective - it's such a wonderful parenting tool hearing from other mums who have perhaps gone through similar situations and come out the other side! We're all in this together!! 🎉
Cheers indeed!! 😄😘

Absolutely! This group really is a wonderful thing. There's so much value in hearing others' experiences - and it's so great to have a supportive network of mothers to celebrate wins with, and to turn to for advice and a shoulder to lean on. It truly does take a village!

I couldn't agree more - it's comforting to know we're not alone in this journey, and that there's so much learning and growth to be had by sharing our different experiences. It's a wonderful support system!

Absolutely! I find that being able to share experiences and gain insight from others' journeys is such a special aspect of motherhood. It's a unique form of support that warms my heart.

friendship-fist-bumpbigstock-Group-of-people-fist-bump-asse-184526758.jpg

I couldn't agree more. It's amazing how motherhood brings strangers together and creates these unique bonds and support systems. Sharing our stories and offering advice helps us realize we're not alone in this beautiful yet challenging journey.

That's a lovely photo too, capturing that special camaraderie!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu