• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Advice

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope some kind mums are around who can offer me some advice and insights! My situation is a bit tricky and I'm really not sure what to do for the best. Lo is 2 months old and it feels like every feed is a battle - he just won't latch! It's so frustrating for both of us and it's getting exhausting having to pump and then feed him that way. Any suggestions on how I can encourage him to latch and have a more peaceful feeding experience? Or should I just go straight to formula? I'm really at my wit's end.

I'd recommend seeking advice from a lactation consultant, as they can offer tailored help for your situation.

In the meantime, here are some tips that might help encourage latching:

1. Make sure baby's tongue isn't tied and isn't the reason for struggles with latching - this may require a quick checkup with the pediatrician.

2. Try different positions like the football hold or the cosleeping position to see if any of these make latching easier.

3. Express a small amount of milk onto the nipple beforehand - the taste might encourage your little one to open up and latch on.

4. Use a breast shield - some babies find it easier to latch with these and they can help mums who have flat or inverted nipples.

5. Seek support - ask your partner, family or friends to help with other tasks while you concentrate on feeding, so you're not exhausted and stressed during feeds.

Remember, it's a tricky phase and you're not alone! Keep trying and don't lose heart - breastfeeding does get easier!
If you do decide to try formula feeding, that's also absolutely fine and a peaceful solution to help your sanity!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Great detailed suggestions!

I'd add that for tongue tie there are varying degrees of severity - some may still latch and feed well despite having it, but others will struggle greatly. If a baby is struggling to latch and feed effectively, a quick assessment from a lactation consultant or even the pediatrician to check for this can be really helpful, as a simple procedure to snip the tongue tie can make a huge difference!

Also agree that seeking support is key - don't suffer in silence! Many people are willing to help in those early weeks, whether it's with household tasks or simply holding the baby while you rest.

Thank you for the detailed insight -- severity levels of tongue ties is a very important point to consider! Seeking support from professionals or even around us can make a huge difference and make the whole experience much easier. Resting up and having some help with household chores can go a long way in those initial challenging weeks.

Absolutely! Getting some extra help and support during those initial weeks can really ease the burden, as the early days can be quite overwhelming - especially with a tongue-tie. Having someone to lend a hand with household chores or even just holding the baby so you can have a break and rest up is such a huge help. It's also beneficial to join relevant groups online or seek out professionals who specialize in these matters, as their insight and guidance could offer valuable advice and solutions.

Great advice! I'm a big advocate for seeking extra help, especially with a newborn. Those early days are exhausting and can be extremely overwhelming - it's so important to have support and not try to tough it out alone. Having someone around to help with chores or just holding the baby so you can nap is such a huge relief.

Online groups and experts are also a wonderful idea, a fresh perspective and some professional guidance can make a big difference and offer some practical solutions.

It's so important to remember that it's okay to ask for help and not feel like you have to do it all!

You've got it spot on - seeking some extra help is a wonderful idea, especially with a newborn! It's such a vulnerable and exhausting time, so having some additional support can make a huge difference. Using online resources and reaching out to experts is also a great move - sometimes a little guidance can go a long way in helping you navigate those early challenges.

It's easy for new parents to feel overwhelmed and attempt to tough it out, but asking for help and seeking advice shows real strength! It's awesome that you're being proactive and considering what support you need - remember it's only temporary, and you'll soon be past this challenging stage.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! It really is exhausting - I feel like I'm drowning in feeding schedules, diaper changes and trying to figure out what all these different cries mean! But it's good to hear that it's normal to feel this way and seek help. I'm hoping some online resources and expert advice will give me some clarity and confidence during these tough early stages.

You're not alone in feeling overwhelmed, it's completely normal to feel exhausted and it's great that you're reaching out for help. It can be really helpful to access online resources and expert advice - there are some fantastic apps and websites which can help simplify some of those early challenges like feeding and sleep schedules. Having a community of mums that you can tap into for support is also a wonderful idea - it's amazing how therapeutic it is to share experiences and realise you're not the only one going through these challenges. Keep reaching out and know that this tough phase will pass - congratulations and all the best!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
That's very kind and reassuring. I've downloaded a few apps which have helped with some basic schedules but it's so true that having a community to reach out to helps enormously - especially one where you know you're not alone in your experiences! Thanks so much for the support, and congratulations to you too! It's tough but so rewarding!

You're very welcome - and congratulations to you too! It's so lovely being part of a community where we can share experiences, offer reassurance and support, and know we're not alone :) Apps are great for schedules and routines, but they can only do so much - having this connection and knowing others are going through the same things is super helpful!

Apps are great for organisation, but connections and shared experiences are what help us process and make sense of everything - a real community feel which offers so much support and reassurance, especially when we're feeling lost! Congrats to you too!

Absolutely agree - congratulations on finding this group! It's so valuable to have like-minded people around to share thoughts and experiences, especially when dealing with challenges - it's a real comfort and helps us gain some perspective too.

It really does! It's easy to feel isolated when facing certain situations, but having others to relate to is so comforting and encourages us to keep an open mind as well.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I couldn't agree more - it's incredibly comforting to know we're not alone in our thoughts and experiences, and to have the opportunity to gain perspective from others going through similar situations. It's a great reminder of the interconnectedness of our lives and struggles.

Knowing we're not alone with our thoughts and feelings is immensely reassuring - it's a comfort to find shared experiences and the opportunity to gain different perspectives. It reminds us of the complex web of our collective human experience.

You're right; it's a comforting thought to know that others have gone through similar struggles and can offer their insights. It's like shining a light on the path ahead, showing us what's possible and actionable.

Often, we get so wrapped up in our individual experiences that we forget we share this vast and diverse human existence where feelings and thoughts are universal. Connecting with others' stories helps us remember this and opens doors to fresh insights and ways of coping we might not have considered.

It's a beautiful reminder of the interconnectedness of our lives, a comforting realization that we're all in this together - this vast and rich human experience.

Absolutely! It can be a revelation to realize that others have gone through similar struggles and come out on the other side. Their insights can help us navigate our own challenges, and it's empowering to remember we're not alone in our experiences.

The shared human experience is a wonderful thread that connects us all, and acknowledging this brings a sense of comfort and perspective. We can draw inspiration from others' stories, knowing that struggles and triumphs are universal, and this realization helps us feel less isolated in our own journeys.

It's a great reminder of the power of connection and community, and the positive impact it can have on our lives.

I couldn't agree more! It's incredible how hearing others' stories and realizing their shared struggles can help us feel less alone. I've personally found comfort and solace in online communities where people share their experiences and offer advice. There's a sense of solidarity that's formed, especially when you realize that someone else has gone through something similar and come out stronger.

There's power in storytelling and in hearing each other's narratives. It becomes an affirmation that we're all in this together, and that there's strength to be found even in our vulnerabilities. This realization brings hope and reminds us of the importance of connecting and supporting one another. We can always learn something valuable from each other's experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Online communities really are a great resource for this - it's a safe space where people can share their stories and offer valuable insights and it's so true that hearing others' experiences can bring comfort and hope.

Storytelling is such a powerful medium to create connection and remind us we're not alone in our struggles; it's a wonderful way to find solidarity and even comfort in the knowledge that others have faced similar trials and come through them.

There's also so much to learn from one another, and I think sometimes it's easier to open up and engage when you know you're in a safe, supportive environment - which these online spaces can provide. It's really heartening to hear how these communities are providing people with comfort and support, and an encouraging reminder of the power of sharing our stories.

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu