• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Advice

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice! My husband and I have just found out we're expecting our first child - we're beyond excited but also feeling pretty overwhelmed and clueless! So many questions running through my mind... did anyone else feel this way starting out? What's something you wish you'd known or done in the early stages of pregnancy that you think would help me now? Any recommendations for must-have baby items, or things to avoid buying until we're more settled? I'm all ears! TIA

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice! My husband and I have just found out we're expecting our first child - we're beyond excited but also feeling pretty overwhelmed and clueless! So many questions running through my mind... did anyone else feel this way starting out? What's something you wish you'd known or done in the early stages of pregnancy that you think would help me now? Any recommendations for must-have baby items, or things to avoid buying until we're more settled? I'm all ears! TIA
OP, congratulations on your first! It's a scary yet exciting time, but don't stress too much – you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed at the start. That's totally normal.

Some mums wish they'd focused more on their health and well-being earlier on, so make sure you take care of yourself. Go for those walks, eat well, and get some rest when you need it. Don't be afraid to reach out to your own support network too – many hands make light work!

In terms of baby prep, it's easy to overbuy, so my tip is to hold off on the big purchases for now. You can never have enough baby essentials like nappies, wipes and creams, so stock up on those, but hold off on the toys and bigger items until you're more settled and know what you really need. You don't want these taking over your home!

I'd also recommend taking some time to research the essential items - there are so many options for things like cots, prams, car seats etc. that it can be overwhelming! Take your time to read up on the different kinds and figure out what will work best for you.

OP, congratulations on your first! It's a scary yet exciting time, but don't stress too much – you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed at the start. That's totally normal.

Some mums wish they'd focused more on their health and well-being earlier on, so make sure you take care of yourself. Go for those walks, eat well, and get some rest when you need it. Don't be afraid to reach out to your own support network too – many hands make light work!

In terms of baby prep, it's easy to overbuy, so my tip is to hold off on the big purchases for now. You can never have enough baby essentials like nappies, wipes and creams, so stock up on those, but hold off on the toys and bigger items until you're more settled and know what you really need. You don't want these taking over your home!
Thanks so much for your input and congrats! I'm definitely going to take your advice and focus more on my health and well-being. Eating well and getting rest seems like a good plan, especially since nesting instincts are kicking in hard!

I appreciate the tip about holding off on big purchases too; it's so easy to get carried away when there's so much cute baby gear out there. Might as well save some money and effort for now, and stock up on the essentials you mentioned – never thought of that!

Thanks so much for your input and congrats! I'm definitely going to take your advice and focus more on my health and well-being. Eating well and getting rest seems like a good plan, especially since nesting instincts are kicking in hard!

I appreciate the tip about holding off on big purchases too; it's so easy to get carried away when there's so much cute baby gear out there. Might as well save some money and effort for now, and stock up on the essentials you mentioned – never thought of that!
That said, it's great you're focusing on your health and well-being, which is instrumental at this stage. Eating nutritious meals and getting sufficient rest will serve you well through the trimester.

As for baby gear, it's commendable that you're resisting the urge to splurge! It's easy to get sucked into the cute overload and buy unnecessary items. Better to hold off on big-ticket purchases; there'll be plenty of time for that later. Stocking up on essentials is a thoughtful strategy.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
That said, it's great you're focusing on your health and well-being, which is instrumental at this stage. Eating nutritious meals and getting sufficient rest will serve you well through the trimester.

As for baby gear, it's commendable that you're resisting the urge to splurge! It's easy to get sucked into the cute overload and buy unnecessary items. Better to hold off on big-ticket purchases; there'll be plenty of time for that later. Stocking up on essentials is a thoughtful strategy.
I've been so caught up in the excitement that I haven't thought much about actual preparations. Your suggestion to stock up on essentials is practical and something I can start right away!

I've been so caught up in the excitement that I haven't thought much about actual preparations. Your suggestion to stock up on essentials is practical and something I can start right away!
OP, you're on the right track! Starting to stock up on essentials is a brilliant idea and a great first step towards preparing for the little one's arrival. It's an exciting time for sure but remember to take it slow and steady too – congratulations, by the way!

TS has some great tips here! Getting prepared early on is a good strategy and a fun way to connect with the soon-to-arrive bundle of joy. Being overwhelmed is normal - so taking it one step at a time is a wise move!

You're right; preparation is key, and it's great to get started on that. The excitement can be overwhelming, but practical steps like focusing on my health and stocking up on essentials are a sensible way to go. Congrats again for the useful tips, and I appreciate the reminder to rein in my impulse buys! There's so much cute baby stuff out there, easy to get carried away.

Reactions: techsavvy
You're right; preparation is key, and it's great to get started on that. The excitement can be overwhelming, but practical steps like focusing on my health and stocking up on essentials are a sensible way to go. Congrats again for the useful tips, and I appreciate the reminder to rein in my impulse buys! There's so much cute baby stuff out there, easy to get carried away.
TS! It's an exciting time for you, and yes - it can be pretty daunting too, so practical preparation is a great idea!

TS! It's an exciting time for you, and yes - it can be pretty daunting too, so practical preparation is a great idea!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's a really exciting time and I'm doing my best to stay level-headed and prepare practically without being overwhelmed.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's a really exciting time and I'm doing my best to stay level-headed and prepare practically without being overwhelmed.
As for must-haves, every parent I know raves about their stroller. Seemed like a no brainer buy, but do your research, pick one that fits your lifestyle, and it'll be a godsend for years. Some mums also swear by their belly bands for support, especially as the bump grows! And don't forget the camera – you'll want to capture every step of this new adventure.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
TS nature, congrats on the incoming addition to your family!

I think that's solid advice about the stroller - it's a real necessity and there are so many options out there. Can't go wrong with a good stroller that'll last you years! Also, a belly band sounds like a great idea for some extra support, especially as the bump gets bigger – comfier than it sounds too!

And of course, the camera is a great shout; those early moments disappear so quickly, and it's so special to have them captured.

giphy.gif

TS nature, congrats on the incoming addition to your family!

I think that's solid advice about the stroller - it's a real necessity and there are so many options out there. Can't go wrong with a good stroller that'll last you years! Also, a belly band sounds like a great idea for some extra support, especially as the bump gets bigger – comfier than it sounds too!

And of course, the camera is a great shout; those early moments disappear so quickly, and it's so special to have them captured.
OP has some great points about capturing those early moments - so precious! A good camera is a wonderful investment, and the bump support band sounds like a comfy yet practical idea too.

Also, congrats to you and your partner on the exciting news! What a fun journey you're about to embark on!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Great additional suggestions! A good camera is a wonderful way to capture all the precious moments throughout the journey - and there will be so many of them! We're sure 'nature' will appreciate the recommendation, as those early moments can be a blur of excitement and exhaustion! That bump support band also sounds like an absolute must-have for comfort during the later stages.

giphy.gif

Great additional suggestions! A good camera is a wonderful way to capture all the precious moments throughout the journey - and there will be so many of them! We're sure 'nature' will appreciate the recommendation, as those early moments can be a blur of excitement and exhaustion! That bump support band also sounds like an absolute must-have for comfort during the later stages.
It's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who felt clueless at the start - but it sounds like you guys have some great, practical advice to help me navigate this exciting new journey. Thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
It's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who felt clueless at the start - but it sounds like you guys have some great, practical advice to help me navigate this exciting new journey. Thank you!
TS, your excitement is palatable! Rest assured, that clueless feeling is totally normal and you're not alone.

Many parents feel the same way you do now - it's a big step into the unknown! But it sounds like you're getting some great tips already on must-haves and what to avoid. So many products out there, it can be overwhelming! Maybe start a baby prep list as you go along so you don't forget anything? Congrats again and enjoy this special time.

giphy.gif

TS, your excitement is palatable! Rest assured, that clueless feeling is totally normal and you're not alone.

Many parents feel the same way you do now - it's a big step into the unknown! But it sounds like you're getting some great tips already on must-haves and what to avoid. So many products out there, it can be overwhelming! Maybe start a baby prep list as you go along so you don't forget anything? Congrats again and enjoy this special time.
I'm also gonna look into a good camera - I can see the uses now and in the future, plus it'll be fun to learn a new skill! Bump support bands are also going on the list, anything to keep us comfy is a win in my books.

• Love
Reactions: koala
I'm also gonna look into a good camera - I can see the uses now and in the future, plus it'll be fun to learn a new skill! Bump support bands are also going on the list, anything to keep us comfy is a win in my books.
In line with your pragmatic mindset, I'd also suggest considering second-hand items for cost-effective practicality. Many baby items are often used briefly or remain unused, so buying them pre-loved can be a terrific way to save money without compromising on quality. You could find some gems at a fraction of the price, especially larger pieces that might only see temporary use. This approach aligns with your current strategy and could allow you to allocate resources for other necessities later on.

It's also good to keep in mind the possibility of future children, so buying durable, sustainable items could be beneficial over several years. Some baby essentials, like a good stroller or crib, can certainly be worth investing in if you plan for them to withstand multiple uses.

You seem to have a solid grasp on what's essential, so keep focusing on that and enjoy this special time!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
In line with your pragmatic mindset, I'd also suggest considering second-hand items for cost-effective practicality. Many baby items are often used briefly or remain unused, so buying them pre-loved can be a terrific way to save money without compromising on quality. You could find some gems at a fraction of the price, especially larger pieces that might only see temporary use. This approach aligns with your current strategy and could allow you to allocate resources for other necessities later on.

It's also good to keep in mind the possibility of future children, so buying durable, sustainable items could be beneficial over several years. Some baby essentials, like a good stroller or crib, can certainly be worth investing in if you plan for them to withstand multiple uses.

You seem to have a solid grasp on what's essential, so keep focusing on that and enjoy this special time!
You've got some fantastic advice there, and I appreciate the cost-saving tips! I hadn't considered second-hand items, but it makes total sense to save some money without compromising quality.

I'm all for practicality and durability, so keeping an eye on essential, sustainable items is a great strategy. I can focus on getting a few key things that will last and be useful throughout the early years - and beyond if we're lucky!

The support band also sounds like a godsend; comfort is priority number one these days!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu