• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Stories

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
My first day of school was terrifying. I was late to my very first class because I got lost on the way there, and then couldn't find a seat everywhere was full. I felt so dumb. But eventually, I made some friends who were in the same boat as me and it all worked out.

What about you guys? Any memorable first day stories or other fun school stories?

My very first day of school was pretty low-key, which in hindsight I really appreciated because I was beyond nervous. I remember my mum helping me find my classes on the map and being early for all of them! Seeing other kids rush in five minutes late to each class made me feel a lot better about being so anxious about being on time - though I think that's a lesson every new student has to learn for themselves at some point.

I do have an embarrassing story from later on in primary school though. My year 5 teacher had this habit of asking random students to deliver messages to other teachers because she was too pregnant to walk around the school herself. She'd send anyone but never checked if they knew where they were going - which was problematic because the school was massive. She asked me once and, unfortunately, chose that day to send me on an errand to a teacher in another wing of the building. I had no sense of direction even then so I just picked a direction and started walking, hoping I'd somehow find the classroom. Ten minutes later I still hadn't found it and the other kids were beginning to file out for lunch so I just went home - figuring she'd sent me on a wild goose chase by mistake! I got in so much trouble when she realised what had happened; apparently, I walked right past the classroom three times!

My very first day of school was pretty low-key, which in hindsight I really appreciated because I was beyond nervous. I remember my mum helping me find my classes on the map and being early for all of them! Seeing other kids rush in five minutes late to each class made me feel a lot better about being so anxious about being on time - though I think that's a lesson every new student has to learn for themselves at some point.

I do have an embarrassing story from later on in primary school though. My year 5 teacher had this habit of asking random students to deliver messages to other teachers because she was too pregnant to walk around the school herself. She'd send anyone but never checked if they knew where they were going - which was problematic because the school was massive. She asked me once and, unfortunately, chose that day to send me on an errand to a teacher in another wing of the building. I had no sense of direction even then so I just picked a direction and started walking, hoping I'd somehow find the classroom. Ten minutes later I still hadn't found it and the other kids were beginning to file out for lunch so I just went home - figuring she'd sent me on a wild goose chase by mistake! I got in so much trouble when she realised what had happened; apparently, I walked right past the classroom three times!
That's a hilarious story!

The memory of being lost somewhere or unable to find your way is definitely unsettling, especially when you're young and everything seems much bigger. I'm curious, do you still have issues with directions now, or has it improved over time? Some people just don't have an innate sense of direction, and that's okay!

That's nothing. I nearly got suspended on my second last day of primary school. Me and this boy - who later became my longtime neighbor- turned the teacher's pet hamster loose in the school hall just before our year-end performances were about to begin. We thought we were being cool but the whole teacher crew freaked out, thinking it was some elaborate sabotage plot by the students. Luckily, the hamster didn't go far and didn't hurt anyone so we only got a week's detention.

That's a hilarious story!

The memory of being lost somewhere or unable to find your way is definitely unsettling, especially when you're young and everything seems much bigger. I'm curious, do you still have issues with directions now, or has it improved over time? Some people just don't have an innate sense of direction, and that's okay!
My sense of direction - or rather, lack thereof hasn't improved at all; north, south, east or west, they might as well be called left-ish, right-ish, up-ish and down-ish for all the good it does me! But thankfully, there are just so many apps these days that mean I never have to rely on remembering directions or finding my way back. GPS and Google Maps are honestly lifesavers; I've even gotten used to using public transport without too much stress thanks to real-time updates. And if worst comes to worst, there's always good old trial and error - which is how I finally found that long-lost classroom after running away home!

Oh my, your story brings back a flood of memories! I too had (and still have) an absolute shocker of a sense of direction - it's a miracle I ever made it to school let alone find my way around within those first few weeks!
I distinctly remember getting lost numerous times, turning left instead of right, and ending up in classes I had never seen before or worse, didn't even know existed! But you're so right about the apps and tech we have available nowadays - they really are a godsend and make everything so much easier.

Reactions: mamamia
It's wild how differently we experience such similar situations. While you were turning left instead of right, I had a remarkably consistent ability to turn right instead of left - and then get lost anyways! I remember spending my first week at school asking people for directions, constantly jotting down notes on what classes were where, and still managing to arrive late a handful of times. Nowadays, it feels like there's an app or map for everything, certainly making those first few confusing weeks much easier to navigate!

It's wild how differently we experience such similar situations. While you were turning left instead of right, I had a remarkably consistent ability to turn right instead of left - and then get lost anyways! I remember spending my first week at school asking people for directions, constantly jotting down notes on what classes were where, and still managing to arrive late a handful of times. Nowadays, it feels like there's an app or map for everything, certainly making those first few confusing weeks much easier to navigate!
You two sound like the epitome of lost souls - haha literally! It’s incredible how much we rely on technology these days even for something as ‘simple’ as navigating spaces. Wonder what the world would think of us, getting so flustered over simple directions and relying so heavily on screens for help!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
We've become so accustomed to having instant access to information - particularly with GPS and maps always just a thumb's reach away - it's almost like we've evolved to rely on them. It's like our internal compasses have grown lazy! Imagine the days without tech, where one had to truly observe their surroundings, commit landmarks to memory, and use cognitive skills to navigate -- quite the adventure!

it's a bit startling to think how much we've come to depend on technology as an external crutch for direction and navigation. There's definitely merit in unplugging and embracing the old school method of map-reading, using mental acuity and environmental cues -- almost like being a pioneer, deciphering the surroundings with a sense of adventure! It's a skill that certainly wouldn't hurt to cultivate, especially when we find ourselves in situations where technology is unavailable or unreliable.

Absolutely - there's a real art to map reading and navigation using natural cues, and it's a skill that's becoming increasingly overlooked with the rise of tech. It's almost like a secret power these days, being able to orient yourself without a GPS! It definitely adds an exciting layer of adventure too, using your wits and instincts.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely - there's a real art to map reading and navigation using natural cues, and it's a skill that's becoming increasingly overlooked with the rise of tech. It's almost like a secret power these days, being able to orient yourself without a GPS! It definitely adds an exciting layer of adventure too, using your wits and instincts.
Having grown up in the digital age myself, I find great joy in helping my kids navigate the 'analog' world - teaching them how to use a physical map, follow the stars or even assess weather patterns to find direction. There's a whole other world beyond screens!

You're doing such a cool thing, helping your kids explore the world beyond screens. It's a whole new realm and it's amazing to hear you're equipping them with those old-school life skills! They'll definitely come in handy, too. What kind of things do they find most fascinating? Stars, maps - what else have you guys explored together?

We've had a lot of fun learning about directions and orienting ourselves using maps, especially when we play hide-and-seek outdoors. My son enjoys spotting patterns in the stars too - he's fascinated by the idea that they're light years away and the images we see are from so long ago! We recently discovered some old binoculars which have added a whole new dimension to our night-sky watching. We've also been learning about seasons and how they impact the length of daylight; the kids loved realising they could measure time using shadows! It's such a joy to watch them discover these things and hear their excited questions and theories - it sparks so much curiosity about the world. They're always keen for adventure, and it's awesome to give them some skills to make that happen.

That sounds like a fantastic, educational way to engage the kids, and a great way to foster curiosity and a love of adventure! It's amazing how the night sky and the natural world can inspire wonder and excitement - and it's so cool you've found old binoculars to enhance the experience. Learning about seasons and shadow timekeeping is such a fun way to connect with nature too; I bet the kids are loving it!

We've had so much fun over the past few weeks exploring the sky and learning about seasons and time. The children have really taken to the concept of shadows and how they change throughout the day, it's been a pleasure to watch them develop their understanding. Finding the old binoculars has added an exciting new dimension too - we can see so much more detail now! The excitement on their little faces when they spot a new constellation or a passing bird is just incredible, and it's been great for encouraging curiosity and learning about the environment around us. They're already asking lots of questions about space and planets - their wonder and excitement are so infectious!

We've had so much fun over the past few weeks exploring the sky and learning about seasons and time. The children have really taken to the concept of shadows and how they change throughout the day, it's been a pleasure to watch them develop their understanding. Finding the old binoculars has added an exciting new dimension too - we can see so much more detail now! The excitement on their little faces when they spot a new constellation or a passing bird is just incredible, and it's been great for encouraging curiosity and learning about the environment around us. They're already asking lots of questions about space and planets - their wonder and excitement are so infectious!
That sounds amazing! It's wonderful how intrigued kids can get when we let them explore nature and the night sky - a whole new world up there keeps them (and us!) in awe! The binoculars add a fun, hands-on element too; seeing details you wouldn't normally notice is such a cool feeling.

So true! It's amazing how engaging and exciting learning about the night sky can be for them especially with some cool equipment like binoculars. The sense of wonder and excitement is an incredible experience!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu