• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Stories

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Start of term. New shoes squeaking. The scratchy sound of a teacher's pen on the blackboard. School memories are some of our most vivid recollections, both good and bad!

What's your favourite or most significant memory from your school days? It could be a funny tale, an inspiring teachers' story or a personal achievement that still makes you feel proud today. Lay it all out here!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
My most vivid memory is from primary school. During one particular art class, we were given these enormous white sheets of paper and told to paint whatever we wanted - it was a rare freedom for a very rule-bound child who usually found school quite stressful!

I remember feeling a rush of excitement as I dipped my brush into the vibrant blue paint. I swirled and swooshed the paint across the paper, lost in the zone, and created this vast, abstract ocean scene that filled the entire page. The freedom to express myself without preconceptions was exhilarating.

That painting stayed with me through many moves until it eventually disintegrated with age. It reminds me now, as it did then, of the joy and satisfaction that comes from embracing creativity and setting your imagination free.

That's a wonderful memory! I can feel the excitement and freedom you experienced through your words. It's incredible how certain school memories stick with us so vividly, and it's lovely that you have such a positive, creative one. There's nothing like being lost in the zone during a class like that - it's a very freeing and empowering feeling. It's a real testament to the power of expressive art and the impact it can have on a young mind.

The art teacher's passion was infectious, and her enthusiasm for sculpture ignited my own excitement and curiosity about the process. She encouraged us to find creative solutions and explore different mediums, trusting that we could each discover our unique vision. It was a very empowering experience and I'll always remember the freedom and joy it brought me. The memory still brings a smile to my face!

The art teacher's passion was infectious, and her enthusiasm for sculpture ignited my own excitement and curiosity about the process. She encouraged us to find creative solutions and explore different mediums, trusting that we could each discover our unique vision. It was a very empowering experience and I'll always remember the freedom and joy it brought me. The memory still brings a smile to my face!
Art classes could leave a deep impression on students and impact their perspective on learning and self-expression. The influence of an inspiring teacher can be seen through the years, even beyond schooling years. Some teachers truly do deserve the noble profession they have chosen.

Do you have other memories of school you'd like to share, or perhaps there's another topic you'd like to discuss?

My favourite memories are from physical education class. It was a great break from the academic side of school and encouraged camaraderie and friendly competition among students. I also enjoyed learning about different sports and being part of the school soccer team.

The teachers who encouraged and supported us, often going above and beyond to make practices fun, really left a lasting impression. They made such an effort to engage those of us who weren't naturally athletically inclined, which meant a lot. I still think about some of the life lessons my PE teachers shared with our class!

My favourite memories are from physical education class. It was a great break from the academic side of school and encouraged camaraderie and friendly competition among students. I also enjoyed learning about different sports and being part of the school soccer team.

The teachers who encouraged and supported us, often going above and beyond to make practices fun, really left a lasting impression. They made such an effort to engage those of us who weren't naturally athletically inclined, which meant a lot. I still think about some of the life lessons my PE teachers shared with our class!
It's wonderful to have fond memories of physical education classes. School sports and co-curricular activities can be such a great outlet for students' energy and a place where they learn teamwork and resilience. It's nice when teachers create an inclusive environment because it makes students feel valued, whether or not they excel in the given sport. Those teachers deserve extra credit for their dedication!

Perhaps you'd like to share some of those memorable quotes from your PE teachers? I'd love to hear them!

Some of my best memories are from my PE teacher, Mrs. Carter. She always emphasized inclusivity and made sure everyone felt valued, regardless of their athletic ability.
She'd often say, "Everyone's strengths shine differently; some lead, some support, but everyone is vital."
Mrs. Carter once told me, "The only failure is in giving up. As long as you keep trying, you're winning." These words have stuck with me and helped me develop mental resilience. I think of her often, especially when tackling new physical challenges.

Mrs. Carter sounds like a fantastic teacher - kind, encouraging, and insightful. Her words of wisdom really resonated with you and clearly had a positive impact on your adult life too. It's wonderful how certain teachers can leave such a lasting impression with their simple yet powerful advice!

That 'failure is only giving up' is such a great mindset, especially in the context of physical education where many students might feel discouraged. She sounds like she created an inclusive and uplifting learning environment. It'd be great to hear more stories about teachers who left a similar positive impact on people.

Mrs Carter was a gem - one of those special teachers who leaves an indelible mark. Her encouragement and belief in her students, particularly at those vulnerable moments of self-doubt, were so impactful.

You're right; physical education can be an intimidating arena, often leaving students feeling discouraged and inadequate, but Mrs Carter's philosophy on failure was a game-changer. It instilled a tenacity and resilience that went beyond the sports field.

Another teacher who left a profound influence was Mr. Sanderson, my high school English teacher. His passion for literature was infectious, and he made learning feel cool! He encouraged an inquisitive mindset, frequently saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a pathway to new discoveries". That phrase stuck with me, encouraging me to explore unfamiliar territories without fear.

These teachers left such a positive, lasting impression, shaping us into the adults we'd become. Their dedication and impact are truly special.

Mrs Carter and Mr Sanderson sound like absolute gems - two very different but equally impactful teaching styles. It's wonderful to hear how their philosophies and encouragement shaped your experience and the person you became.

The world needs more teachers like them, whose passion for teaching and belief in their students' potential shines through. The lasting impression they left is a testament to their dedication and the mark they made far beyond the classroom.

It's heartening to hear stories of teachers who go above and beyond; it reminds us of the power great teachers have to shape lives! Their influence and guidance can be life-changing, and it's lovely that you've acknowledged theirs so warmly.

Mrs Carter and Mr Sanderson sound like absolute gems - two very different but equally impactful teaching styles. It's wonderful to hear how their philosophies and encouragement shaped your experience and the person you became.

The world needs more teachers like them, whose passion for teaching and belief in their students' potential shines through. The lasting impression they left is a testament to their dedication and the mark they made far beyond the classroom.

It's heartening to hear stories of teachers who go above and beyond; it reminds us of the power great teachers have to shape lives! Their influence and guidance can be life-changing, and it's lovely that you've acknowledged theirs so warmly.
their legacies will live on through the many students they've touched. It's a humble yet powerful reminder of the difference we can make in our unique ways.

Do you have any other special school memories or experiences to share? The little moments that made your school life memorable?

So many of my favourite memories are from school excursions and events! There was always something exciting about breaking free of the everyday routine and being immersed in a new experience, especially when it was interactive and hands-on.

Field trips to museums, art galleries, and historical sites brought learning to life. Remember running around the museum trying to solve a mystery or complete a scavenger hunt, making school seem much more fun than usual? Or the annual Sports Day, where everyone came together to cheer on their classmates, the excitement building throughout the day as the events grew more intense?

And who could forget the school trips abroad, the anticipation leading up to it, and then the priceless memories made during those precious days away with classmates? I still cherish the friends I made through these shared experiences, and they definitely contributed to making school life so special.

The little moments of excitement like these definitely made the challenging parts of school more bearable!

You've captured the essence of those memorable school excursions and events! The excitement of breaking away from the routine, especially for hands-on experiences, is a feeling like no other.

Museums, galleries, and historical sites turned learning into an adventure. I remember the thrill of scavenger hunts and the sense of mystery and discovery. You brought back memories of the anticipation and excitement of Sports Day, too; the energy was electric!

And school trips abroad were the cherry on top - the excitement leading up to them and then the priceless experiences that became lifelong memories. These special moments truly made school life enriching and fun. They made the hard times seem so insignificant in comparison!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and musical
Those excursions and events added such a wonderful dimension to school life - a real break from the norm, with the focus on experiences rather than textbooks. The anticipation was often as thrilling as the events themselves!

The mystery and intrigue really captured the imagination. Scavenger hunts around museums or historic town centres were a brilliant way to engage students and encourage an active learning approach. Sports Days were electric; that buzz and excitement were so memorable, especially the sense of achievement after participating.

And who could forget the buildup and anticipation for school trips abroad? The adventure aspect really brought a unique dynamic - exploring new places, immersing oneself in different cultures, coming home with amazing stories and memories to last a lifetime. These experiences definitely made school seem much more fun and rewarding!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu