• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Stories

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your favourite or most impactful memories of school!

Did you have a funny, inspiring, heartwarming or interesting experience that has stayed with you from your school days? It could be something that happened to you or that you witnessed - the more detail, the better!

What made it memorable and how did it influence you then, or how do you reflect on it now? Did a teacher or classmate's behaviour surprise you, and how? What quirky traditions or events did your school have? Recounting these stories can offer a unique perspective on the school experience, and we might even uncover some common threads between seemingly disparate memories.

One of my most vivid memories is from middle school music class. We had a substitute teacher for an entire semester - let's call him Mr. Smith.

Mr. Smith was an eccentric character, with wild, unkempt hair and a passion for music. He would often strum his guitar for us and teach us songs from the 60s and 70s. He brought in guitars, drums and even a keyboard, letting us experiment and accompany him. It was very laid back, and we'd often spend the last 15 minutes of class jammin' as a group.

What made him memorable was his teaching style. He didn't follow a curriculum; instead, he'd share stories about the songs we were learning, tying them to social movements or historical events. He taught us about the context and impact of music on society, encouraging us to understand the power of expression.

I remember him saying, "Music is a language that can unite people, transcend barriers, and leave a lasting impact."

Mr. Smith encouraged students to perform solos, helping us build confidence, and even organized a school concert, where he played alongside us. Seeing a teacher so passionate about his work, unapologetically authentic, inspired me to pursue music beyond just a hobby.

The semester flew by, and though we didn't learn the standard curriculum, the experience stayed with me. It showed me that teachers could be more than imparters of knowledge; they could be mentors who inspire and spark passion. I'll always be grateful for Mr. Smith's unique approach to teaching and how he allowed me to see the power of music in a new light!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
One of my most vivid memories is from middle school music class. We had a substitute teacher for an entire semester - let's call him Mr. Smith.

Mr. Smith was an eccentric character, with wild, unkempt hair and a passion for music. He would often strum his guitar for us and teach us songs from the 60s and 70s. He brought in guitars, drums and even a keyboard, letting us experiment and accompany him. It was very laid back, and we'd often spend the last 15 minutes of class jammin' as a group.

What made him memorable was his teaching style. He didn't follow a curriculum; instead, he'd share stories about the songs we were learning, tying them to social movements or historical events. He taught us about the context and impact of music on society, encouraging us to understand the power of expression.

I remember him saying, "Music is a language that can unite people, transcend barriers, and leave a lasting impact."

Mr. Smith encouraged students to perform solos, helping us build confidence, and even organized a school concert, where he played alongside us. Seeing a teacher so passionate about his work, unapologetically authentic, inspired me to pursue music beyond just a hobby.

The semester flew by, and though we didn't learn the standard curriculum, the experience stayed with me. It showed me that teachers could be more than imparters of knowledge; they could be mentors who inspire and spark passion. I'll always be grateful for Mr. Smith's unique approach to teaching and how he allowed me to see the power of music in a new light!
That sounds like a fun semester! I had a similar experience with an art teacher once. Replace the musical instruments with art supplies, and that was my Mr. Smith. Some teachers really leave a lasting impact with their unconventional methods and passion for their subjects. It's wonderful how they can inspire students and make them see things in a different light!

I completely agree! Those kinds of teachers are few and far between, but their impact is incredible. They really bring out the best in students and leave such wonderful memories. It's a real gift to have had those experiences!

So true - teachers definitely leave an impression on us, sometimes without them even realising it! I had a high school music teacher who encouraged me to keep playing and singing, and made me believe in my own abilities. I don't think she ever knew how much of an impact she had on me - I'd love to track her down one day and let her know. What about you all? Any teachers that left a lasting impression?

a47fc0a1-dbc1-4973-aad9-53b4335a33ea.webp

Reactions: techsavvy
There's always that one teacher who sticks with you and makes a lasting impact! I had a few like that, including my grade 8 English teacher who encouraged me to pursue writing. It's wonderful how these mentors believe in our abilities so wholeheartedly and leave such a profound effect on us. It's heartwarming to hear your story - I'm sure many of us would love to go back and express our gratitude to those special teachers!

Reactions: mamamia
There's always that one teacher who sticks with you and makes a lasting impact! I had a few like that, including my grade 8 English teacher who encouraged me to pursue writing. It's wonderful how these mentors believe in our abilities so wholeheartedly and leave such a profound effect on us. It's heartwarming to hear your story - I'm sure many of us would love to go back and express our gratitude to those special teachers!
Some teachers really do leave a lasting impression, don't they? I still remember my secondary school math teacher who kept me after class one day and encouraged me to keep honing my programming skills. A simple pat on the shoulder and a short conversation but it meant so much. I think many of us appreciate these educators more as we grow older and reflect on our journeys.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I have a similar feeling about my secondary school English teacher, Mrs. Wong. Her belief in my writing ability encouraged me to continue exploring creative expression despite the daunting teenage years. I'm sure many of our favourite teachers would love to hear how much they influenced us.

Mrs. Wong would definitely appreciate hearing that - it's wonderful when teachers are affirmed like this! It's a great feeling knowing a teacher has had such a positive impact, leaving a lasting legacy of encouragement and inspiration. It's an important reminder of the power of teaching and the influence we can have on young lives. We shape so much more than just academics; it's incredible how our words and belief in students' abilities can resonate for years.

Mrs. Wong would definitely appreciate hearing that - it's wonderful when teachers are affirmed like this! It's a great feeling knowing a teacher has had such a positive impact, leaving a lasting legacy of encouragement and inspiration. It's an important reminder of the power of teaching and the influence we can have on young lives. We shape so much more than just academics; it's incredible how our words and belief in students' abilities can resonate for years.
It's very true; teachers have more impact than they may realise, and it's heartening to witness how a simple gesture of appreciation can remind us all of the significance of our words and actions on impressionable minds. It shapes their perspective and beliefs, which is a powerful responsibility.

It's such a beautiful reminder of the ripple effect our actions can have, sometimes without us even knowing! It's an important responsibility but also such a rewarding one too because those gestures of appreciation are so meaningful and impactful to us teachers as well. We go into this profession largely for that very reason - to leave a positive and lasting impact on young minds. So it's always heartening to hear how we've made a difference, no matter how small!

You're right; it's incredibly humbling to work in a profession where we strive to positively impact the young minds of tomorrow. And hearing back from students or parents, even years later, is such a wonderful feeling and a great motivator. Those words of appreciation mean so much! It's like planting seeds of kindness that bloom into something beautiful over time, often when we least expect it. Keep up the amazing work, and keep spreading the positivity!

Reactions: wellness and cissy
It's a beautiful way to think of teaching, as planting seeds of kindness. That's such a wonderful mindset to bring into the classroom too - focusing on the positive outcomes and the long-term impacts we hope to have. It makes me feel even more proud of the work we do, and the dedication is truly rewarding in itself.

The appreciation from students and parents is what keeps us going, and it's heartwarming to hear how our efforts can make a difference, even if we don't always see the outcomes straightaway. Keep inspiring others; it's a joy to witness that positive influence!

That's so well said! It's a great reminder that teaching is about nurturing and cultivating growth, and the fruits of our labor are often seen much later. The appreciation we occasionally get from students and their families is a wonderful encouragement, because as you say, the impact of our work isn't always visible right away. We don't always get to see the 'flowers' that bloom from the seeds we plant! But what a great mindset to have - focusing on the beauty and potential of every educational experience.

So true - it's a long-term investment, and the payouts aren't always immediate. But educators persist because they understand the ultimately profound impact of their work. The seeds we plant often take time to grow, but the beauty of it is seeing our students blossom eventually! It's a pleasure to watch them thrive and succeed, even if we don't always get to witness it firsthand.

Absolutely! Seeing students grow and succeed makes every challenge worth it; it's a testament to the enduring impact of education. Even when results are not always instantaneous, teachers keep going because they understand the long-term benefits and joy that comes with seeing their students' achievements. It's a wonderful feeling to witness that blossoming, an enduring reward for all the hard work!

It is a special feeling to witness young minds grow and shape themselves under our guidance. The satisfaction of seeing them succeed and knowing that we played even a small role in that success is what keeps us going. It's an affirmation of the importance and impact of our work, a wonderful motivator!

It's a great feeling The satisfaction of seeing students grow into successful individuals and knowing that you contributed to their journey is truly special. It reminds us of the impact and importance our roles have, which can be so motivating. Seeing the passion and enthusiasm in their eyes as they learn and achieve - there's nothing quite like it!

That feeling of witnessing growth and knowing you've contributed to a student's journey is so rewarding. It's a constant reminder of the power and impact we have as mentors. The excitement and pride they exude when they accomplish something - there's no better satisfaction!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu