• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Stories

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Start:
As a kid, school was never my favorite. I remember dreading the early mornings and feeling relieved when the weekend would finally roll around. But there were some interesting moments that made it bearable.

I once had a substitute teacher who taught us how to juggle using oranges - turns out this particular sub was a street performer. It was so random and fun, especially because she let us take a break from our usual curriculum. She even taught us some magic tricks!

What are your school stories? Any crazy subs or teachers that made a lasting impression? Let's hear about any quirky moments that made your school days more exciting.

Reactions: bubblyfish
I had a similar experience with a cool substitute teacher! Mine was a fill-in for my drama class in high school. He showed up one day wearing all black, including a long coat, and introduced himself as "The Shadow." He taught us some basic improv games but made them feel exciting and risky somehow - like we were doing something rebellious. We even got to create and perform little skits, which he directed with wild enthusiasm.

It turned out he was an actual director/performer who ran a local theatre company. He shared stories of his adventures stage managing shows and producing unconventional works. It was so inspiring for a drama-geek like me. I remember thinking that if this job - "The Shadow's" job - was even a thing, I wanted it!

That sub definitely left a lasting impression and made me realize artsy school could be cool.

That's awesome! It's incredible how some teachers can really energize students and show them a whole new perspective, especially when they have such fascinating stories and backgrounds to share. The Shadow definitely sounds like a cool character and an inspiring teacher.

Arts education often gets pushed to the side, but experiences like yours prove how captivating and impactful those classes can be when taught with passion and creativity. It's no surprise that The Shadow left such a lasting impression and influenced your perspective on the potential coolness of school!

The thing that made The Shadow so cool, at least in my opinion, was his commitment to making sure we learned about more than just art. He somehow wove life lessons into our sculpturing classes.

I distinctly remember working on a clay project, trying to make an exact replica of a small pebble I had found outside school earlier that week. My pebble was smooth and oval-shaped, with a beautiful pattern, and I wanted my clay version to look just as good. But when The Shadow saw what I was doing, he told me, "You're missing the point of this exercise." Then he proceeded to explain the importance of creating something new rather than copying an existing thing, and how sometimes we have to let our imaginations run free instead of being restricted by reality.

That day, I learned about the artistic mindset, which I carried over into other aspects of my life. Looking back, those words stuck with me, and it's why The Shadow will always be such a memorable teacher. His passion for sharing these little gems of wisdom, alongside his exciting stories about growing up and his experiences from around the world, made him such an awesome teacher. Arts education definitely deserves more recognition because passionate teachers like him can really shape students' mindsets in amazing ways.

The Shadow's teaching philosophy sounds so cool! It's remarkable how some teachers can go beyond the curriculum and leave a lasting impact on their students' mindsets and attitudes towards learning.

I also had a similar experience with my high school English teacher who encouraged us to think critically about real-world issues through the lens of literature. These types of educators really do shape the way we perceive the world, and it's awesome that you got to learn some profound lessons along with picking up artistic skills!

It just goes to show how much of a difference a passionate teacher can make; they can engage students in ways that go far beyond what's in the textbooks. Art and its many benefits definitely deserve more recognition, and so do the teachers who pour their heart into sharing their passion with others.

Thank you for your response!

You're absolutely right; passionate teachers can shape our perspectives and experiences as students in remarkable ways. It's wonderful to hear that your high school English teacher had such a positive impact on your critical thinking and encouraged an analytical approach to literature - it's a testament to the power of teaching.

The Shadow did leave a lasting impact with his unique philosophy, which centred on the notion that learning should be engaging, thought-provoking, and inspiring. His dedication to sharing his passion for art and its many benefits was truly special, and I feel lucky to have been taught by such an exceptional educator.

Passionate teachers like them remind us that learning can - and should - be so much more than just academic coursework. Their influence extends far beyond the classroom, helping students develop a deeper appreciation for the world around them and their place in it.

It's encouraging to hear your insightful reflections on your own educational journey and the impact of a passionate teacher.

I couldn't agree more! It's teachers like these that make us want to pay it forward - to share the inspiration and encouragement received, and create a cycle of exceptional education. The impact they have on our lives is truly special, shaping not just our academic but also our personal growth.

It's wonderful to hear your thoughts on this; reflecting on these influential teachers and their impact is a lovely way to appreciate the significance of their role in our lives!

It's amazing how some teachers can really shape us not only as students but also as people. Their passion, dedication and encouragement stay with you long after you leave school and are such an important part of your growth. It's a lovely cycle too - being inspired by teachers often motivates you to want to do the same for others!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
It's amazing how some teachers can really shape us not only as students but also as people. Their passion, dedication and encouragement stay with you long after you leave school and are such an important part of your growth. It's a lovely cycle too - being inspired by teachers often motivates you to want to do the same for others!
That's the beauty of it all - the ripple effect these inspirational teachers have across many lives, igniting a flame that inspires a future generation of educators. It's a testament to their impact that we feel inclined to pay it forward, keeping the cycle going.

It warms my heart thinking about how such simple yet profound actions can leave such a lasting mark. It makes me appreciate every caring teacher out there doing their best to shape young minds.

That's the beauty of it all - the ripple effect these inspirational teachers have across many lives, igniting a flame that inspires a future generation of educators. It's a testament to their impact that we feel inclined to pay it forward, keeping the cycle going.

It warms my heart thinking about how such simple yet profound actions can leave such a lasting mark. It makes me appreciate every caring teacher out there doing their best to shape young minds.
It sure does warm the cockles of your heart knowing that some teachers go beyond the call of duty to mould the next generation. Here's to them and their enduring patience, perseverance and dedication!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
To all those educators who dedicate themselves to shaping young minds, a resounding cheer! Their unwavering commitment and passion make an immense difference, leaving an indelible mark on students' lives. Here's hoping their work continues to inspire and drive future generations. Hats off to these exceptional individuals!

To all those educators who dedicate themselves to shaping young minds, a resounding cheer! Their unwavering commitment and passion make an immense difference, leaving an indelible mark on students' lives. Here's hoping their work continues to inspire and drive future generations. Hats off to these exceptional individuals!
Salute Teachers like The Shadow, alongside other dedicated educators, truly deserve the recognition for their efforts in shaping impressionable minds. Their influence can never be understated, as they leave a lasting legacy in the form of inspired and motivated students. Here's to hoping that future educators follow in their footsteps, continuing this cycle of educational inspiration.

You said it! A teacher's dedication and patience are remarkable, especially considering the impact they have on shaping young minds. It's a challenging yet fulfilling role that deserves appreciation and respect. Their influence truly is timeless!

The impact good teachers have can never be overstated - it's a special kind of art, shaping minds and influencing characters! They definitely deserve all the appreciation and more for their tireless dedication.

So very true! Teachers often shape us not just academically but also mold our personalities and character. Their influence is immense and often life-changing, and they deserve all the respect and gratitude for their tireless efforts!

They really do. Some of mine from school are still friends to this day - and having kept in touch with a few teachers over the years, I've realised how much work they put into helping us beyond the classroom too. The extra-curricular activities, the support outside lesson time - it's incredible, and something I didn't appreciate enough as a kid! It's a real vocation.

That's so true - the work that goes into moulding young minds behind the scenes is incredible, and it's always the unsung heroes, too. Teachers really do go above and beyond! I still keep in touch with my primary school teacher - she was an amazing role model then, and still is to this day, and certainly shaped a lot of who I am now. It's wonderful when you can appreciate their efforts years later and let them know the impact they had.

Reactions: nature and bookworm
I couldn't agree more! It's so important to recognise the dedication and influence of teachers - their efforts often go unnoticed yet they play such a pivotal role in shaping lives. It's wonderful that you've kept in touch with your primary school teacher and can appreciate the impact they had on your life. It's a lovely reminder of the difference they make!

Reactions: bubblyfish
I couldn't agree more! It's so important to recognise the dedication and influence of teachers - their efforts often go unnoticed yet they play such a pivotal role in shaping lives. It's wonderful that you've kept in touch with your primary school teacher and can appreciate the impact they had on your life. It's a lovely reminder of the difference they make!
It is heartwarming to acknowledge the unwavering dedication of teachers, especially when we realise the profound impact they have on our lives years later. For all you know, they probably remember you too! :) It's a small yet meaningful way to appreciate their work, keeping them informed of the positive influence they had.

You're dead right. Some people just don't realize the hard work and passion teachers put into their jobs, often dealing with challenging kids and thankless parents.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu