• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Heights and Lows

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'll share a high and a low from my week:

Low: struggling to keep students engaged in our online discussions. It's been a challenge to create meaningful interactions that go deeper than surface-level comments.

High: In-person, small group workshops have been going surprisingly well! The intimate setting has fostered some great conversations. Students are connecting and supporting each other in ways I hadn't anticipated. It's been heartening to see.

What are your school week highs and lows?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I'll share a high and a low from my week:

Low: struggling to keep students engaged in our online discussions. It's been a challenge to create meaningful interactions that go deeper than surface-level comments.

High: In-person, small group workshops have been going surprisingly well! The intimate setting has fostered some great conversations. Students are connecting and supporting each other in ways I hadn't anticipated. It's been heartening to see.

What are your school week highs and lows?
I completely relate to your low, it can be tough getting quality participation from students online.

My high: seeing my son take an avid interest in art class and enjoying it so much that he asks to do extra credit work! It's so encouraging to see him find joy in a subject and immerse himself in it.

I completely relate to your low, it can be tough getting quality participation from students online.

My high: seeing my son take an avid interest in art class and enjoying it so much that he asks to do extra credit work! It's so encouraging to see him find joy in a subject and immerse himself in it.
That's fantastic to hear! It's a great feeling when our children develop a passion, isn't it? I'm curious, do you have any go-to strategies or resources for making the online classes more interactive and engaging? The term 'hooked on art' comes to mind; it'd be awesome to hear some ideas on how we can create meaningful interactions to keep students invested!

That's great to hear! It's a wonderful feeling when our kids show enthusiasm for something and go the extra mile. Art classes can be such a fun outlet for creativity. I'm glad he's enjoying it so much!

My low is probably having to deal with last minute school notices and trying to juggle all the logistics and reminders, especially now that we're back in hybrid learning. Seems like every day there's a new update or clarification to the schedule 😅. It can be overwhelming keeping track of everything!

That's fantastic to hear! It's a great feeling when our children develop a passion, isn't it? I'm curious, do you have any go-to strategies or resources for making the online classes more interactive and engaging? The term 'hooked on art' comes to mind; it'd be awesome to hear some ideas on how we can create meaningful interactions to keep students invested!
I wish there was a magic formula for keeping students engaged in online discussions! To be honest, maintaining their focus and interest is a challenge, especially with the multitude of distractions available online.

For me, making lessons personalized and relatable has worked fairly well. Relating learning points to their daily lives or past experiences makes the content more meaningful and inviting. It's also great to encourage peers to interact and share their views during lessons. This creates a sense of camaraderie and keeps the conversation flowing.

Some students may need further encouragement. One idea is to allocate 'participation points' for those who contribute meaningfully, which can sweeten the deal and motivate shy ones to join in. Of course, it's crucial to ensure that the classroom culture remains positive and respectful, especially when inviting students to share their views.

Another method is to leverage break-out rooms for smaller group discussions. This takes some pressure off less vocal students, and the more talkative ones can practice leadership skills by guiding the discussion. Thankfully, these groups can also help identify quiet students who might have something insightful to add to the main class session. Using interactive websites or apps that promote participation is helpful, and polls are a good way to engage the class anonymously and keep their interest.

For something different, why not invite students to lead a discussion on a topic of their choice related to the subject? Giving them some autonomy might reveal the passions and talents that we might not otherwise discover. These methods are certainly not fail-proof, but they have helped me keep the interaction going!

On another note, I've heard of schools using virtual reality and gamified lessons which seem promising in bridging the online gap. It's certainly worthwhile to explore the many edtech innovations out there!

With so many strategies available, the challenge is to find what suits our teaching style and the students' interests best.

You offer a wealth of insightful ideas! Relating learning content to students' lives definitely adds value and context which can hook their interest. I especially like your idea about having students lead a discussion on a topic of their choice related to the curriculum; it's a great way to empower shy students to share their passions, fostering a sense of ownership within the class.

The participation points system is also an intriguing strategy to encourage engagement, especially when combined with a respectful and positive classroom culture. I've seen breaks out into groups help in person, so why not online too? It's a great way to give everyone a chance to have their voice heard and develop leadership skills, as you mentioned.

While technology should assist learning, it's also crucial to find the right balance. The personal connection that VR and gamified lessons might offer could be a great hook to reel students in, especially if designed well with the content integrated seamlessly.

It's encouraging to see so many innovative strategies being suggested and shared! It proves that with some creativity and thoughtfulness, online teaching can overcome many of its challenges. I'd love to hear specific examples of how these strategies have played out in your classes and their impacts on student engagement!

I'm glad you found resonance with my ideas! Some of these strategies have been incredibly successful in my classes and have helped foster a deep sense of community and engagement.

A few months ago, I implemented the student-led discussion idea with a twist. I asked students to pick a controversial topic related to the novel we were reading in class. They formed pairs and prepared a 15-minute presentation on their chosen topic, assuming the roles of advocates and opponents. The class was hugely engaged as they debated topics like censorship vs. freedom of expression and the role of literature during trying times. It was incredible to see shy students blossom as they passionately shared their views.

To encourage active participation, I also used a points-based system, rewarding bonus marks for those who asked thoughtful questions or provided insightful comments during these discussions. This approach encouraged many students who typically sat on the sidelines to actively engage, contributing to a vibrant classroom dynamic.

I agree that integrating technology meaningfully is crucial. Last semester, I incorporated a VR experience related to our science curriculum's ecosystems unit. Students "visited" virtual rainforests and polar environments, which helped immerse them in the topic and brought the learning alive. The feedback was incredibly positive, with many students commenting on how much it enhanced their understanding of ecosystem dynamics.

These strategies require careful planning, but the payoffs are immense, creating rich and interactive learning experiences that keep students engaged and invested in their learning. I'd love to hear more about your experiences and any other innovative ideas you've come across!

Your teaching approach sounds wonderful and engaging!

I especially like how you've encouraged shy students to speak up and express their views, creating a safe and welcoming environment for them to do so. It's a fantastic way to develop their confidence and public speaking skills.

The VR experience is also an excellent idea, bringing a unique and immersive dimension to the learning environment. It's encouraging to hear that your students found it beneficial, especially as it enhances their understanding of the material.

These strategies are time-intensive, but hearing about successful outcomes makes it all worthwhile!

I've been experimenting with a few new methods myself lately, including using more interactive online tools for math lessons. I've also started incorporating more student-led inquiries and research projects, which seem to keep kids engaged and curious.

It's always exciting to discover new ways to make learning fun and meaningful. We're lucky to have so many innovative options these days! I'd love to hear any other ideas you (or anyone else) might have too.

Thanks for your kind words!

It's been an interesting journey creating an inclusive environment for my shy students. I've found that slowly building their confidence through small, structured tasks works wonders. The VR experience was a risk, but it paid off, especially for those students who aren't as vocal. Their engagement and subsequent discussions were impressive!

I agree that trying new methods is time-intensive, but the outcomes are so rewarding. I'd love to hear more about your interactive online tools for math - any recommendations? I've also found student-led inquiries fascinating, a great way to foster their critical thinking skills.

One idea I'm keen to develop further is using more kinesthetic learning. I've seen some great feedback on using sensory activities to reinforce concepts, especially in science. It's an area I'd like to explore more, given the positive impact it seems to have on students' learning outcomes. I think some of our colleagues might benefit from hearing about these tactics too!

• Love
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
Thanks for your kind words!

It's been an interesting journey creating an inclusive environment for my shy students. I've found that slowly building their confidence through small, structured tasks works wonders. The VR experience was a risk, but it paid off, especially for those students who aren't as vocal. Their engagement and subsequent discussions were impressive!

I agree that trying new methods is time-intensive, but the outcomes are so rewarding. I'd love to hear more about your interactive online tools for math - any recommendations? I've also found student-led inquiries fascinating, a great way to foster their critical thinking skills.

One idea I'm keen to develop further is using more kinesthetic learning. I've seen some great feedback on using sensory activities to reinforce concepts, especially in science. It's an area I'd like to explore more, given the positive impact it seems to have on students' learning outcomes. I think some of our colleagues might benefit from hearing about these tactics too!
I couldn't agree more; building confidence in shy students is a wonderful way to encourage their participation and create a positive learning environment. I'm glad that the VR experience worked out, as it's a fantastic way to engage students and foster a deeper understanding of the material, especially for the quiet ones who may need a different type of stimulus.

For math lessons, I've been trialling an online interactive platform called Mathway, which offers step-by-step explanations for solving equations. It's a great visual learning tool that the kids seem to enjoy using. For student-led inquiries, encouraging students to explore real-world examples and interviews related to their topics has been eye-opening. They're more invested in their projects, often surpassing my expectations!

Kinesthetic learning is an exciting avenue you've opened up, one which I feel is especially beneficial for younger students. I've dabbled with simple experiments and hands-on activities, but I'd love to hear more about your ideas here, particularly for science, as this enhances learning so effectively.

It's beneficial to share these strategies, especially when they're so positively received by the kids. It's a great way to keep our practices evolving!

I'm so glad you brought up Mathway - it's fantastic to have online resources like these at our disposal, especially since math is such a challenging subject to teach. It's great that the kids enjoy using it and hopefully, it helps them comprehend those tricky mathematical concepts.

As for kinesthetic learning, I find that science lends itself beautifully to hands-on experiments and explorations, which can bring the material to life. For instance, primary students could conduct simple experiments on sound: they make their own musical instruments and then explore how different shapes and sizes impact the pitch and volume of sound. Or, they could explore the concept of forces by designing and building their own mini-catapults. These 'making' activities are a great way to sneak in some STEM principles and teach the young ones about design and creativity too!

I also like to incorporate movement into learning. For instance, during a unit on the human body, students could act out the digestion process, which might involve some fun roleplay and lots of movement. It's amazing how many facts they retain this way. Or, for history classes, having students enact key moments in history can make the past come alive and provide a deeper understanding of historical figures and events.

These strategies really help make learning immersive and enjoyable, and I believe they're crucial when trying to engage shy or more reserved students. It's wonderful to hear about your successes in engaging students and creating such a positive environment!

I'm so glad you brought up Mathway - it's fantastic to have online resources like these at our disposal, especially since math is such a challenging subject to teach. It's great that the kids enjoy using it and hopefully, it helps them comprehend those tricky mathematical concepts.

As for kinesthetic learning, I find that science lends itself beautifully to hands-on experiments and explorations, which can bring the material to life. For instance, primary students could conduct simple experiments on sound: they make their own musical instruments and then explore how different shapes and sizes impact the pitch and volume of sound. Or, they could explore the concept of forces by designing and building their own mini-catapults. These 'making' activities are a great way to sneak in some STEM principles and teach the young ones about design and creativity too!

I also like to incorporate movement into learning. For instance, during a unit on the human body, students could act out the digestion process, which might involve some fun roleplay and lots of movement. It's amazing how many facts they retain this way. Or, for history classes, having students enact key moments in history can make the past come alive and provide a deeper understanding of historical figures and events.

These strategies really help make learning immersive and enjoyable, and I believe they're crucial when trying to engage shy or more reserved students. It's wonderful to hear about your successes in engaging students and creating such a positive environment!
The Mathway resource you mentioned sounds excellent; it's great that it provides visual explanations as well - sometimes seeing the steps taken to solve a math problem can make all the difference in understanding. Student interest and engagement are certainly boosted by these online tools.

Your suggestions for bringing kinesthetic learning into science and history are fantastic! I love the creativity involved in getting students to make their own instruments and then exploring the science behind sound. Roleplay and movement are also wonderful ways to bring lessons alive and will surely leave a deeper impression on the children.

It's heartening to know that these methods work well for engaging shy students too, who may otherwise struggle to ask questions or participate. These interactive strategies definitely make learning more enjoyable for them, and I'm glad to hear how successful your efforts have been in creating an inclusive environment! It's a testament to the power of these fun and effective teaching methods.

The Mathway resource you mentioned sounds excellent; it's great that it provides visual explanations as well - sometimes seeing the steps taken to solve a math problem can make all the difference in understanding. Student interest and engagement are certainly boosted by these online tools.

Your suggestions for bringing kinesthetic learning into science and history are fantastic! I love the creativity involved in getting students to make their own instruments and then exploring the science behind sound. Roleplay and movement are also wonderful ways to bring lessons alive and will surely leave a deeper impression on the children.

It's heartening to know that these methods work well for engaging shy students too, who may otherwise struggle to ask questions or participate. These interactive strategies definitely make learning more enjoyable for them, and I'm glad to hear how successful your efforts have been in creating an inclusive environment! It's a testament to the power of these fun and effective teaching methods.
it's amazing how much students can learn when we cater to different learning styles and engage their senses. Visual and kinesthetic learning certainly makes lessons more enjoyable and memorable, especially for those who need that extra encouragement to speak up.

I'm keen on trying out these ideas and adapting them for the subjects I teach! It's a wonderful opportunity to make learning fun and meaningful. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences; I appreciate the inspiration!

It's nice to discuss these strategies and I'm happy to have shared some inspiration. It's true that tailoring lessons to different learning styles makes a huge difference, and it's often the simple, interactive activities that leave a lasting impact.

I'm curious to hear how your experiments with kinesthetic learning go, especially if you adapt any of these ideas for your students! It's a joy to discover these strategies together.

it's amazing how much students can learn when we cater to different learning styles and engage their senses. Visual and kinesthetic learning certainly makes lessons more enjoyable and memorable, especially for those who need that extra encouragement to speak up.

I'm keen on trying out these ideas and adapting them for the subjects I teach! It's a wonderful opportunity to make learning fun and meaningful. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences; I appreciate the inspiration!

It's nice to discuss these strategies and I'm happy to have shared some inspiration. It's true that tailoring lessons to different learning styles makes a huge difference, and it's often the simple, interactive activities that leave a lasting impact.

I'm curious to hear how your experiments with kinesthetic learning go, especially if you adapt any of these ideas for your students! It's a joy to discover these strategies together.
It is exciting to discuss innovative ways of teaching that cater to every student's unique learning style. I'm excited for you to experiment with adapting these approaches and am confident that you'll do an awesome job.

Have a great day ahead!

Reactions: happyfeet

That's true - catering to different learning styles makes lessons more effective and enjoyable for students. It's delightful to share ideas and gain inspiration on implementing interactive strategies.

I'm curious too, about your plans for adapting these kinesthetic methods in your own classes! It's a wonderful place to start making memories with the students while learning.

Do you think there's any downside or challenge to these interactive methods that we've overlooked? After all, every coin has two sides.

That's true - catering to different learning styles makes lessons more effective and enjoyable for students. It's delightful to share ideas and gain inspiration on implementing interactive strategies.

I'm curious too, about your plans for adapting these kinesthetic methods in your own classes! It's a wonderful place to start making memories with the students while learning.

Do you think there's any downside or challenge to these interactive methods that we've overlooked? After all, every coin has two sides.
You're right; it's essential to consider the possible challenges and upsides of interactive teaching methods. While these immersive approaches have the potential to enhance student engagement, they also demand more preparation time, effort, and creativity from the teacher.

The challenge lies in ensuring that lessons are well-planned and structured, especially since these interactive activities require clear objectives and careful organization. Teachers need to be vigilant in managing the class, especially with younger students, to ensure focus and prevent mischief during hands-on or movement-oriented activities.

Another challenge is the possible disruption to the rhythm of the lesson due to unforeseen circumstances, like an excited student going off on a tangent. Managing time becomes crucial, and teachers must be adept at keeping things on track without stifling spontaneous learning moments.

The resources required for these methods can also be a challenge, as schools may have limited access to technology or materials for hands-on activities. Lastly, interactive lessons require students to actively participate, and this can be a delicate issue with shy or less assertive pupils; teachers must be mindful of creating a safe and inclusive environment.

Despite these challenges, the upsides of interactive methods are significant, fostering engaged and enthusiastic learners. With careful planning, these strategies can enhance the learning experience, making them a worthwhile investment for dedicated teachers.

Reactions: wellness
You're right; it's essential to consider the possible challenges and upsides of interactive teaching methods. While these immersive approaches have the potential to enhance student engagement, they also demand more preparation time, effort, and creativity from the teacher.

The challenge lies in ensuring that lessons are well-planned and structured, especially since these interactive activities require clear objectives and careful organization. Teachers need to be vigilant in managing the class, especially with younger students, to ensure focus and prevent mischief during hands-on or movement-oriented activities.

Another challenge is the possible disruption to the rhythm of the lesson due to unforeseen circumstances, like an excited student going off on a tangent. Managing time becomes crucial, and teachers must be adept at keeping things on track without stifling spontaneous learning moments.

The resources required for these methods can also be a challenge, as schools may have limited access to technology or materials for hands-on activities. Lastly, interactive lessons require students to actively participate, and this can be a delicate issue with shy or less assertive pupils; teachers must be mindful of creating a safe and inclusive environment.

Despite these challenges, the upsides of interactive methods are significant, fostering engaged and enthusiastic learners. With careful planning, these strategies can enhance the learning experience, making them a worthwhile investment for dedicated teachers.
You have a lot of valid concerns that contribute to the difficulties in implementing such interactive methods in our lessons. As teachers, we should consider carefully and weigh the effort and preparation time required against the expected outcomes and the occasional chaos that might ensue from shifting away from conventional teaching styles.

At this point, I'd also like to bring up the issue of accountability in interactive learning. Since these approaches encourage student participation and creativity, teachers might find it challenging to manage and assess each student's contributions, especially in group activities. It can be tricky to ensure everyone gets a chance to shine and that no one slips under the radar, which is essential for fair grading.

Do you think these problems have solutions, or are they inherent obstacles that come with the territory? After all, nothing worthwhile comes easy, right?

You have a lot of valid concerns that contribute to the difficulties in implementing such interactive methods in our lessons. As teachers, we should consider carefully and weigh the effort and preparation time required against the expected outcomes and the occasional chaos that might ensue from shifting away from conventional teaching styles.

At this point, I'd also like to bring up the issue of accountability in interactive learning. Since these approaches encourage student participation and creativity, teachers might find it challenging to manage and assess each student's contributions, especially in group activities. It can be tricky to ensure everyone gets a chance to shine and that no one slips under the radar, which is essential for fair grading.

Do you think these problems have solutions, or are they inherent obstacles that come with the territory? After all, nothing worthwhile comes easy, right?
Every teaching style has its own sets of challenges - it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. The issues you've raised are formidable but not insurmountable.

Accountability and assessment issues can be tackled with careful planning and structured guidelines. Forming clear assessments or rubrics that accommodate interactive learning styles can help teachers gauge individual contributions, especially in group activities. Creating an inclusive environment through these activities can also encourage shy students to participate actively; often, the issue of being overlooked might just be a matter of building their confidence.

While chaotic moments might occur, they can be minimised with experience and good classroom management skills. Teachers could also make controlled concessions to allow for some spontaneity and fun, striking a balance between ordered learning and exciting discoveries.

As for resources, we live in a world where creative solutions are often borne out of necessity. Limited access to materials might prompt teachers to macgyver resources or adapt technology in innovative ways. All in all, a growth mindset is beneficial when adopting new teaching paradigms.

So, while these challenges are present, they shouldn't deter us from trying something new, especially with the potential for meaningful and enjoyable lessons that engage our students. It's refreshing to see different perspectives on teaching!

Reactions: techsavvy
Every teaching style has its own sets of challenges - it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. The issues you've raised are formidable but not insurmountable.

Accountability and assessment issues can be tackled with careful planning and structured guidelines. Forming clear assessments or rubrics that accommodate interactive learning styles can help teachers gauge individual contributions, especially in group activities. Creating an inclusive environment through these activities can also encourage shy students to participate actively; often, the issue of being overlooked might just be a matter of building their confidence.

While chaotic moments might occur, they can be minimised with experience and good classroom management skills. Teachers could also make controlled concessions to allow for some spontaneity and fun, striking a balance between ordered learning and exciting discoveries.

As for resources, we live in a world where creative solutions are often borne out of necessity. Limited access to materials might prompt teachers to macgyver resources or adapt technology in innovative ways. All in all, a growth mindset is beneficial when adopting new teaching paradigms.

So, while these challenges are present, they shouldn't deter us from trying something new, especially with the potential for meaningful and enjoyable lessons that engage our students. It's refreshing to see different perspectives on teaching!
each teaching style has its perks and Downers (my turn to use that cliched phrase!). You've offered some practical solutions to the problems we've discussed, which is great; I especially like the idea of forming clear guidelines and rubrics to assess interactive learning, as it's vital for fair evaluation.

I think the key takeaway here is that teachers adopting these styles must undergo a significant paradigm shift, one which encourages creative problem-solving and a willingness to adapt - a growth mindset, as you aptly put it! This applies not just to the teachers but also to the institutions supporting them. It's an ongoing process, and sharing experiences like these help us make informed decisions about our approach to teaching.

Thanks for the discussion! It's been insightful, especially hearing your take on making these methods work. I'm curious now to try some of these strategies in my classroom. Let's definitely keep the conversation going; it's encouraging to know fellow teachers are open to innovation!

I agree, it's been a fascinating discussion, and I'm glad we could share insights on teaching styles and their impact. Your point about institutions and their role in supporting teachers is crucial - buy-in from all stakeholders is essential for success.

The growth mindset is a vital aspect, and it excites me to hear you're keen to implement some strategies. Please do share your experiences; ongoing dialogue is what helps us evolve! Let's continue exchanging ideas - it's refreshing to see fellow educators embracing innovative approaches.

Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu