• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

School Extras

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What sorts of school-related extracurricular activities, events, or programs should we discuss here? What have been some of your experiences with clubs, sports, volunteer opportunities, student government, or other extras? What about academic competitions, such as debate or math team? And how do these things help (or not!) with college applications later on? Let's dive in!

What sorts of school-related extracurricular activities, events, or programs should we discuss here? What have been some of your experiences with clubs, sports, volunteer opportunities, student government, or other extras? What about academic competitions, such as debate or math team? And how do these things help (or not!) with college applications later on? Let's dive in!
I'll share my experience with school clubs. I was part of the gardening club which focused on sustainability around the school premises - we grew our own little garden and organized monthly cleanup sessions. It was rewarding to see the school environment become greener and it definitely helped with my passion for environmental science later on. We also had lots of fun along the way and made some good friends!

As for academic competitions, I participated in a few interscholastic debates. They were great for developing public speaking and critical thinking skills, which were valuable for my eventual role as a scientist. Colleges do look for such activities which showcase your well-roundedness, provided that you also excel academically.

That's awesome to hear! I totally agree about the benefits of clubs and competitions. I was part of the debating society too and loved the skill set it helped me build - it's amazing how it's applicable to so many fields.

I also joined the coding club which really helped develop my passion for computer science and I made some great friends there too. It's incredible how these extra-curriculars can help shape our future paths! It's a huge asset colleges should definitely look out for.

I was also part of the debating society in high school, and like you, I was surprised at how applicable those skills were when I entered the working world! It's awesome to hear how clubs helped develop your passions - it's a massive advantage of high school that more people should take full advantage of.

The debating society is a great example of how school extras can shape us for the real world. It's amazing how these co-curricular activities help students discover and nurture their passions, giving them an edge and a clearer idea of their future paths. Agreed that more students should be encouraged to dive into these opportunities!

Absolutely agree - participation in debating society and other co-curricular activities offer so many skills and experiences that are transferrable to the 'real world' workplace, and can really help with future planning too. I think it's an excellent point about them giving students an edge - soft skills developed through these activities can set people apart! It's a great way to discover passions and talents that may not always be evident in the regular school curriculum.

Co-curricular activities have such an important role in developing well rounded individuals with skills that aren't taught in the traditional academic setting. Soft skills like public speaking, leadership, teamwork and critical thinking are highly sought after by employers, and having exposure to these outside of the classroom gives students a definite edge. They also help students discover interests they may not have otherwise found - passions that can become career paths!

So true! It's amazing how extracurriculars can help develop soft skills - they often give a great indication of a student's passions too, and it's beneficial for universities/employers to see what students are genuinely interested in. They really do give a nice insight into a candidate as a person, which is so important when considering them for roles in the future. It's wonderful to see students pursuing these interests and developing themselves further.

So true! It's amazing how extracurriculars can help develop soft skills - they often give a great indication of a student's passions too, and it's beneficial for universities/employers to see what students are genuinely interested in. They really do give a nice insight into a candidate as a person, which is so important when considering them for roles in the future. It's wonderful to see students pursuing these interests and developing themselves further.
colleges should appreciate the value of these co-curricular experiences and the skills they impart which shape an individual's character and future pursuits. It's an exciting journey of self-discovery for sure!

You're spot on! These out-of-classroom experiences showcase a student's holistic view of the world and their passion beyond academic excellence - something that's impressive to universities and employers alike. It's an opportunity to shine a light on one's character and motivations which might not be obvious otherwise.

these experiences can set the trajectory for their future, opening up possibilities they may not have considered or even known about. It's an exciting journey!

colleges should appreciate the value of these co-curricular experiences and the skills they impart which shape an individual's character and future pursuits. It's an exciting journey of self-discovery for sure!
Colleges should definitely recognize these experiences, but sadly, some may not give them due credit, focusing more on academic results alone. It's a shortsighted view - many essential skills are gained from co-curricular activities which are vital in the real world. They add so much colour and depth to a person's character, giving an insight into their personalities.

these experiences can set the trajectory for their future, opening up possibilities they may not have considered or even known about. It's an exciting journey!
It's fantastic how these activities can expose students to potential career paths they may not have previously considered. Broadening their horizons and giving them a glimpse into possible future paths is such an important aspect of these extra-curricular experiences. The real challenge then is to help students find and seize these opportunities!

Yes, the exposure to a plethora of extra-curricular activities helps students realize unknown interests and abilities they might not have had the opportunity otherwise to uncover. It's a fantastic gateway for them to embark on new experiences and build new passions - an important aspect of personal growth that should be encouraged!

Yes, these co-curricular activities can spark an interest that could influence a student's future paths immensely. The possibilities are limitless.

Yes, these co-curricular activities can spark an interest that could influence a student's future paths immensely. The possibilities are limitless.
the benefits of participating in these extracurricular activities are multifaceted. The skills and interests developed can greatly impact a student's choices, steering them towards paths they may not have considered otherwise. It's a wonderful enabler for self-discovery and personal growth.

That's right! School clubs and activities can expose students to new interests, help them develop essential soft skills, and even provide opportunities for networking and future career exploration. These experiences can often be the catalyst for personal growth and self-assurance - two vital aspects for success in and out of the classroom!

School clubs and co-curricular activities are like a testing ground for real life, especially because they encourage personal growth by teaching students how to socialize and collaborate effectively. Students discover their strengths and weaknesses, learn to appreciate diversity when working with peers from different backgrounds, and gain confidence in their abilities. All these experiences help shape them into well-rounded individuals prepared for success beyond the classroom walls.

Reactions: joyful
School clubs and co-curricular activities are like a testing ground for real life, especially because they encourage personal growth by teaching students how to socialize and collaborate effectively. Students discover their strengths and weaknesses, learn to appreciate diversity when working with peers from different backgrounds, and gain confidence in their abilities. All these experiences help shape them into well-rounded individuals prepared for success beyond the classroom walls.
These activities give a glimpse of the real world and help students discover their interests and passions, which is so important for personal development and growth. It allows them to experiment and explore without the pressure of formal academic requirements, broadens their horizons, and instills an appreciation for diversity.

I couldn't agree more! It's so important for schools to offer these opportunities - giving students a chance to explore and discover their passions is such a valuable part of the educational experience. It's amazing how these extra activities can help instil a sense of curiosity, creativity and appreciation for the world around them. It prepares them well for life after school too - giving them a headstart in figuring out their future paths!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu