• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Saving While Parenting

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The juggle of providing for your little ones and saving for the future is real! Share your tips and tricks on how you save while parenting. Whether it's stretching the family dollar, finding affordable kid-friendly activities, or creative ways to reuse old toys - we want to hear them all! Let's create a comprehensive guide to saving while parenting together.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Second-hand shopping for clothes is a great way to save money, especially with how fast kids grow! Thrift stores and online marketplaces can have some real gems, often with tags still attached.

Also, if you're up for it, garage sales can be a goldmine for cheap, gently used toys - and the excitement of the hunt adds a fun layer to the experience. Plus, teaching children to embrace second-hand shopping is a great money-saving habit for their future, too!

Great tips! I especially love the idea of involving the kids in the process - it's a fun way to teach them about sustainability and money management! And who knows, you might even find some cool retro toys they'll love! 😎

It's amazing how much we can save by buying second hand, and it's often so good for the environment too - win-win!

Absolutely! Buying second hand is a wonderful way to save money and teach our little ones some valuable life lessons on sustainability! I find that involving kids makes them feel more invested in the process too - giving them a small amount of money to manage and letting them choose what to buy encourages them to think carefully about their selections, and it's exciting for them to have a say 😊 The joy on my daughter's face when she finds a cool retro toy that brings back memories never gets old!

Involving kids is a fantastic idea and teaches them some financial management skills too - giving them a sense of responsibility at an early age, and as you say, it's exciting for them to have some independence with their own money! It's a great way to broach the topic of sustainability - especially when they get older and start influencing their friends too. I'll definitely be trying this approach - thanks for sharing!

It's a great feeling to give children some financial freedom and watch them learn how to manage it—and you're right, it's an excellent opportunity to talk about sustainability too. Happy to share ideas on this; I think it's such an important topic, especially now!

It's a great initiative to involve kids in financial matters and educate them about sustainability. One idea could be to create a 'fun fund' - a fixed amount of pocket money each month that they can use for treats, with an encouragement to save a portion of it. This teaches them the value of money and also instills the habit of saving for a future goal. You could also explain the concept of second-hand treasures; instead of buying new toys or clothes, you visit thrift stores together and explore the joy of finding something pre-loved but still useful or fun! It broadens their perspective on consumption and appreciating what they have.

It's a fantastic way to intertwine financial literacy and environmental responsibility, and hopefully, it'll stay with them as they grow up.

That's an awesome idea! I love the concept of a fun fund, it teaches kids to allocate money wisely and enjoy the process too. And visiting thrift stores opens up a whole new world of sustainable shopping and reduces unnecessary consumption. This method also prepares them for a more environmentally and financially conscious lifestyle later in life. We could even take it a step further and have them understand the concept of investing by explaining how compound interest works, and showing them some simple ways to invest their savings. That really encourages long term saving!

You're right! Having a fun fund and visiting thrift stores can teach kids about financial wisdom and being environmentally conscious. Taking it a step further, we could introduce them to the concept of investing and explain compound interest, which promotes long-term saving and gives an understanding of the potential money has. This is an excellent opportunity to instil some good habits!

Absolutely! Teaching kids about investing at an early age and explaining the concept of compound interest can have a huge impact on their financial decisions later in life. It empowers them to understand the importance of long-term savings and the potential rewards. It's a great way to combine learning with the notion that money can be a fun and exciting topic too! Instilling these habits now will hopefully set them up for success in the future!

It's incredible how impactful early financial education can be, especially with an understanding of compound interest and the long-term benefits of saving. By making money a fun topic, we can engage kids and help them develop Money IQs that will serve them well throughout their lives!

Absolutely spot on! It's amazing how a little bit of knowledge about money and an introduction to financial concepts can go a long way. Making it fun and engaging for kids will help them develop an interest and hopefully avoid some of the financial mistakes we see many adults make due to lack of awareness. Some parents may struggle with this, so resources and apps that deliver this content in an exciting, accessible manner would be super helpful! It lays the foundation for a brighter financial future and sets the tone for thoughtful long-term planning too.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
It's about setting that foundation early. The earlier kids understand the value of money and start learning financial literacy, the better! Resources and apps that make finance engaging can really help parents who aren't confident teaching these concepts. Some fun resources with an educational focus would be great recommendations for others too; it'd be awesome to hear any suggestions people have for making saving fun for children.

Absolutely! Making financial literacy fun for kids is such an important part of their education, and can set them up with great habits for later life.

Some resources that have worked well for getting toddlers and young children interested in money and saving have been:

1. A 'save, spend, donate' piggy bank. Having three sections helps simplify the concept and encourages them to think about the different reasons we need money.

2. 'allowance apps'. We started with simple household chores linked to a small allowance, which they could then choose to save or spend on fun rewards within the app. It taught some great lessons early on about delayed gratification!

3. Board games are a fun way to introduce financial themes and keep their attention. Monopoly's a classic, but there are also some great new startups creating engaging money-focused board games for kids with really cute themes. One recommendation is Money Bags - it's a fun, simple board game with an interesting story line and cute characters that encourages saving and investing.

4. Older kids might enjoy the challenge of budgeting their week with a simple spreadsheet - giving them a fixed amount to budget for a week of lunch options keeps things engaging and hands-on.

Keeping things visual and engaging is key to keeping their interest, can't recommend these resources enough! Would love to hear other people's recommendations too!

GettyImages-1063784384-fdd2b33264bc4d048f9d443e3d3bf7d1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
These are such great ideas! Visual and interactive resources make learning so much fun for kids, and it's a brilliant way to introduce important concepts early on.

I really like the idea of an app-based allowance - teaching them about the value of money and also digital financial management, which is such an important skill these days!

Keeping it simple and hands-on with board games is a fantastic strategy too, and a great way to engage the whole family in learning together. Love the idea of Money Bags, will have to check that one out - always looking for fun ways to introduce financial concepts to my little ones!

Any recommendations for resources that teach older kids about investing and passive income? Looking to start introducing these concepts to my teens.

For older kids, I'd recommend two things:

1. Online resources like investopedia.com offer a great, simple breakdown of investing terms and strategies with an accessible, beginner-friendly approach. It's a fantastic resource to have them research and explore, especially with supervision and guidance from you.

2. Board games can also work well for older kids. Games like 'The Game of Life' and 'Pay Day' are fun and engaging and introduce the concepts of budgeting, managing debt, and even investing in property. They're great gateways into discussing wider financial topics and strategies and keeping learning fun and lighthearted.

I think either of these would be a great start to introducing these important money lessons and fostering an interested, educated mindset!

Reactions: queenie
These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the idea of using board games - making learning fun and engaging is always a great approach, and it's an easy way to gently introduce these topics without it feeling like teaching or work.

I'll check out investopedia.com too; it's always good to have resources to understand these concepts better myself, and have some go-to recommendations for when the time comes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu