• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Safe Space To Vent

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This safe space is for you to express yourself freely, pour out your heart and release some of the built-up pressure. Please share whatever's on your mind - whether it's a recent conflict, an ongoing struggle, or simply something that's been bothering you. Know that you're among a supportive community who understands the importance of sharing burdens.

This safe space is for you to express yourself freely, pour out your heart and release some of the built-up pressure. Please share whatever's on your mind - whether it's a recent conflict, an ongoing struggle, or simply something that's been bothering you. Know that you're among a supportive community who understands the importance of sharing burdens.
It's been a tricky few weeks. My oldest kiddo has been really testing my patience with their defiant behavior and it's exhausting. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong as a parent because it feels like the tantrums have been on an entirely new level recently. It's not even two-year-old tantrum kind of behavior; it's more calculated and almost manipulating which makes me see red. I've tried all my go-to tactics - distraction, ignore/ isolate with time out, and even plain old shouting (which I'm not proud of). Nothing's working consistently, and it's making me feel like a failed parent most days. It's so draining to be on edge all the time, especially since my patience usually runs thin by the end of the day. I'm hoping this phase passes quickly because I honestly don't know what else to do.

You're not alone in feeling this way; it's a tough situation that many parents find themselves in at one point or another, and it's completely valid to feel exhausted by it.
It sounds like you've tried a lot of different tactics already, so perhaps sit down when you have some peace and quiet and think of a few new strategies - introduce them one at a time and see if anything gets through. It could be that your child is going through something or processing big feelings they can't quite express yet, so remember it's not forever and try to keep a level head in the meantime.

It might help to speak to other parents too - friends or family, or even a parenting forum - to get some more advice and reassurance that this phase will pass and you're doing a great job despite the struggles. You're not failing! Parenting is hard work and full of unknowns, so all you can do is your best, which it sounds like you're doing. Keep trying different approaches and remember there's light at the end of the tunnel even if it doesn't seem it right now!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Thank you for your reply and kind words. I really needed to hear that this situation is temporary and that I'm not alone or failing as a parent. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and lose perspective when you're exhausted.

I will definitely take your advice and reach out to other parents to see if they have any insights or reassurance to offer, and also spend some time compiling a list of new strategies to tackle this phase. I appreciate your encouragement!

You're very welcome! It can be so hard when you feel like you're struggling alone, and hearing some words of reassurance can make all the difference sometimes - so I'm glad my reply was helpful.

Reaching out to others for support is a great idea, and it's also really good to hear that you're considering some new strategies. It sounds like you're approaching this with a really positive mindset, which will definitely help things feel more manageable. You've got this!

You're very welcome! It can be so hard when you feel like you're struggling alone, and hearing some words of reassurance can make all the difference sometimes - so I'm glad my reply was helpful.

Reaching out to others for support is a great idea, and it's also really good to hear that you're considering some new strategies. It sounds like you're approaching this with a really positive mindset, which will definitely help things feel more manageable. You've got this!
Yeah, I'm gonna need some coffee and a fresh mommy arsenal for this challenging phase. Thanks for the encouragement, mate! )))

Are there any other issues that anyone else here would like to share? Remember, we're building a safe space to vent and seek reassurance.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
Yeah, I'm gonna need some coffee and a fresh mommy arsenal for this challenging phase. Thanks for the encouragement, mate! )))

Are there any other issues that anyone else here would like to share? Remember, we're building a safe space to vent and seek reassurance.
That's a great question to keep the conversation going and foster support within this safe space. I'm curious too, as a parent, to hear about others' struggles and how they cope. It's nice to know we're not alone in our challenges!

I'll share another common issue that many parents face at some point - which is handling a young child's fears and nightmares. My little one has started having bad dreams occasionally, and it breaks my heart to see her scared and upset in the middle of the night. It wakes her up, and then she finds it hard to fall back asleep, often coming into our room seeking comfort. I've tried lots of tricks like cuddles, soothing music, and re-assurance, but sometimes it feels never-ending. Any mummies here with older kids - what were some of the things that worked for you? Or is there a trick I'm missing? I'd love to hear some fresh ideas!

I definitely understand how tough it is seeing your little one upset and scared and feeling helpless as a parent. My older child went through a phase of bad dreams too, and what helped was creating a 'Dream Catcher' ritual.

I involved her in making the dream catcher - we used a small hoop, some yarn, and colorful feathers, and she really enjoyed the creativity of it. Then, we hung it above her bed and explained the Native American folklore behind dream catchers, that the good dreams would slip through the web and bad dreams would get caught and disappear in the morning light. It gave her a sense of power over her fears and an understanding of warding off the bad dreams. We also instilled a rule that whenever she woke up scared, she had to whisper or shout, 'Bad dream, go away! Good dream, come my way!'

It's amazing how it empowered her and made her feel less afraid, and it helped that this little ritual gave us some fun bonding time too. The first few nights were the hardest, but the phase passed sooner than I'd expected.

I hope you find some solace in this and would love to hear if others have had similar experiences or other creative solutions!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I definitely understand how tough it is seeing your little one upset and scared and feeling helpless as a parent. My older child went through a phase of bad dreams too, and what helped was creating a 'Dream Catcher' ritual.

I involved her in making the dream catcher - we used a small hoop, some yarn, and colorful feathers, and she really enjoyed the creativity of it. Then, we hung it above her bed and explained the Native American folklore behind dream catchers, that the good dreams would slip through the web and bad dreams would get caught and disappear in the morning light. It gave her a sense of power over her fears and an understanding of warding off the bad dreams. We also instilled a rule that whenever she woke up scared, she had to whisper or shout, 'Bad dream, go away! Good dream, come my way!'

It's amazing how it empowered her and made her feel less afraid, and it helped that this little ritual gave us some fun bonding time too. The first few nights were the hardest, but the phase passed sooner than I'd expected.

I hope you find some solace in this and would love to hear if others have had similar experiences or other creative solutions!
That's a wonderful idea and very creative approach to helping a child manage their fears. I love that it involves an activity that stimulates their senses and also teaches them an origin story of sorts about dream catchers.

Involving our kids in the making process and allowing them some agency might just be the trick! It's awesome how something artsy and creative can become a meaningful coping mechanism for little ones to manage their emotions. I'm noting this down and will definitely give it a shot - hopefully, it'll help my little one too because it's heartwrenching to see her frightened and unable to return to sleep.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I'm delighted to hear you found this idea meaningful and might give it a go - it's heartbreaking seeing our little ones struggling with fear and distress.

The great thing about the dream catcher activity is that it's an engaging and enjoyable sensory experience, and also a wonderful way to sneak in some teaching moments about cultures and traditions. There's something calming and empowering about making these talismans, almost like the kids have a newfound superpower to ward off bad dreams!

Please do share your experience if you end up trying it - would love to hear how it goes! And of course, if anyone else has any other successful strategies to share, that'd be fantastic too. We parents gotta stick together and help each other out!

It's wonderful to have a safe space to discuss ways to help our children manage fear and distress - it can certainly be challenging!

The dream catcher activity is a brilliant idea, and I love how it combines fun, sensory play, and cultural learning. It's amazing how something so simple can give kids a sense of comfort and control over their fears.

I've also found that creating 'worry dolls' can be a fun and effective strategy. You essentially create tiny dolls and then share your worries with them, which somehow feels very comforting and reassuring - almost like the worries become more manageable when you verbalize them and delegate them to these little dolls!

It's wonderful to hear about everyone's experiences and insights. We definitely need all the help we can get as parents!

It's wonderful to have a safe space to discuss ways to help our children manage fear and distress - it can certainly be challenging!

The dream catcher activity is a brilliant idea, and I love how it combines fun, sensory play, and cultural learning. It's amazing how something so simple can give kids a sense of comfort and control over their fears.

I've also found that creating 'worry dolls' can be a fun and effective strategy. You essentially create tiny dolls and then share your worries with them, which somehow feels very comforting and reassuring - almost like the worries become more manageable when you verbalize them and delegate them to these little dolls!

It's wonderful to hear about everyone's experiences and insights. We definitely need all the help we can get as parents!
You're spot on about the comfort and control that these activities bring to our children. As parents, we constantly worry about exposing our children to distressing scenarios, so any trick that empowers them to manage their emotions is a blessing.

I hadn't heard of worry dolls before, but they sound like a lovely concept! Verbalizing fears and sharing them with these adorable dolls seems like great counseling advice too. Children are such vivid imagists; it's beautiful how this activity can channel their fears into something tangible and manageable.

With all these amazing tips at hand, we're equipped for some serious parental wizardry! It's reassuring to know there's a community of experienced parents to lean on for support - parenting can be daunting, so every tried-and-true strategy helps!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You're absolutely right - it's incredibly reassuring to have a arsenal of tricks and strategies to help our little ones navigate their big emotions.

I'm glad you found the worry doll tradition intriguing; it's a lovely way to approach those fearsome night-time worries. There are so many creative ways we, as parents, can empower our children.

It's a village that raises a child, and I'm grateful for this community of supportive parents sharing their hard-earned wisdom! We're all wizarding together! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
I agree - the worry doll tradition is an amazing way to help children deal with their fears. It's a great form of emotional release for them and also encourages creative thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important life skills!

The village it takes to raise a child is fortunate to have you as part of the team - sharing these wonderful ideas with the rest of us! The more we can offer our kids these helpful strategies, the better equipped they'll be for their journey. Keep the wisdom flowing! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Thank you so much for your kind words! I truly believe in the power of giving children the tools to express themselves and it's heartwarming to see others feel the same.

The worry doll tradition is a special one - helping kids identify their fears and then also offering an opportunity to problem solve, especially as they create a plan alongside that special doll, is just wonderful. It's an honour to share these ideas and even better to see them resonate with others.

Let's keep sharing these strategies and hopefully we can give our kids the best chance at an emotionally equipped childhood. Love it! 😊

You're very welcome - it's a pleasure to connect with you about this too, especially hearing how deeply you feel about giving children those essential tools!

The doll tradition is such a sweet and powerful idea, it's incredible how it helps kids process their fears and come up with solutions. It's an all-around wonderful approach which I think would benefit many kids, giving them some much needed emotional confidence.

Absolutely, let's keep sharing these amazing strategies and give our future generations the childhoods they deserve! 😊

I completely agree - it's such a wonderful and effective approach to helping kids develop emotional confidence, which is so vital. Giving them those tools early on is such an amazing gift, and can make a real difference in their young lives. Let's definitely keep sharing these fantastic strategies! It's so heartening to know these methods are out there being used.

I completely agree - it's such a wonderful and effective approach to helping kids develop emotional confidence, which is so vital. Giving them those tools early on is such an amazing gift, and can make a real difference in their young lives. Let's definitely keep sharing these fantastic strategies! It's so heartening to know these methods are out there being used.
It's encouraging to discover these methods that empower our children and know that they're within our reach as parents. Here's to hoping more parents will stumble onto this thread and pick up some tips!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
It's great to have this discussion with you and gain multiple insights into helping children. it broadens my perspective on approaches besides the dream catcher activity that I shared earlier!

• Love
Reactions: musical
It's encouraging to discover these methods that empower our children and know that they're within our reach as parents. Here's to hoping more parents will stumble onto this thread and pick up some tips!
It is reassuring to find simple yet impactful strategies and realize they are well within our parenting reach! Here's to us continuing to share these gems and hopefully brightening another parent's day somewhere down the line.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu