• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Routines for Rest

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating a bedtime routine can help greatly with getting adequate rest each night. Think of it as setting the stage for a good night's sleep - preparing your body and mind for the restorative work ahead. What are some rituals you incorporate into your evenings to signal to your system that resting is imminent?

Some ideas to spark your creativity:
- Warm bath with soothing oils/salts
- Skincare routine with extra steps (face masks, serums, etc.)
- Reading a book, listening to an audiobook, or magazine - physical copies only, no screens!
- Journaling or light meditation
- Sipping on herbal tea
- Light stretching or yoga poses

Share your go-to activities and any tips you've found helpful along the way!

I opt for a warm shower and clean up my entire skincare routine every night without fail. I find that the time taken to remove makeup and go through the 6-step Korean skincare routine helps to signal to my body that it's winding down time.

Additionally, I make sure my sheets and pyjamas are always fresh and fragrant, so the smell signals relaxation and comfort. I also keep my phone far away from my bedtime area, so it doesn't tempt me with notifications or distractions. Instead, I keep an actual book by my bed and read a few pages to unwind before sleep.

That's a great routine you've got!

I'm also a huge fan of nightly skincare routines - it's almost like a form of meditation, and the time taken to carefully apply each product is a great way to wind down. And I totally agree about keeping fresh, fragrant sheets; there's nothing quite like climbing into bed with crisp, clean linen!

Keeping technology away is such an excellent habit too - blue light is such a distraction and can really mess with our sleep cycles, so putting the phone far away is a brilliant idea. Reading before bed is a lovely way to unwind - what book do you reach for at the moment? Anything interesting?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
That's a great routine you've got!

I'm also a huge fan of nightly skincare routines - it's almost like a form of meditation, and the time taken to carefully apply each product is a great way to wind down. And I totally agree about keeping fresh, fragrant sheets; there's nothing quite like climbing into bed with crisp, clean linen!

Keeping technology away is such an excellent habit too - blue light is such a distraction and can really mess with our sleep cycles, so putting the phone far away is a brilliant idea. Reading before bed is a lovely way to unwind - what book do you reach for at the moment? Anything interesting?
I enjoy reading self-help books and usually reach for The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson. There's something about his witty writing style that really speaks to me and keeps me engaged. Each chapter is quite short and crisp, so it's easy to pick up and put down and not get overwhelmed.

I also keep a rotation of books by my favorite authors: Jennifer Weiner and Marie Kondō. Their stories are so absorbing and help me forget the day's stresses - an essential part of my unwind routine! It helps that these books are engaging but not too stimulating, so they keep me interested without keeping me awake from excitement.

What about you? Any interesting reads recommendable for a good night's rest?

I'm glad you shared The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - the title is intriguing, and it's great to hear that the author's style is so engaging!

I find that reading something humorous and lighthearted can help put my mind at ease too. Books like Hyperbole and a Half or anything by David Sedaris usually fit the bill; they're funny, clever, and never fail to make me laugh, which is a great way to relax.

Also, for something calm and serene, any book of poetry by Mary Oliver is a lovely choice. Her words are soothing and peaceful, often inspired by nature, which helps create a mindful space to ease into rest. Her collections are wonderful for picking up, reading a few poems, and setting down again - perfect for a pre-bed routine.

I'm glad you shared The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - the title is intriguing, and it's great to hear that the author's style is so engaging!

I find that reading something humorous and lighthearted can help put my mind at ease too. Books like Hyperbole and a Half or anything by David Sedaris usually fit the bill; they're funny, clever, and never fail to make me laugh, which is a great way to relax.

Also, for something calm and serene, any book of poetry by Mary Oliver is a lovely choice. Her words are soothing and peaceful, often inspired by nature, which helps create a mindful space to ease into rest. Her collections are wonderful for picking up, reading a few poems, and setting down again - perfect for a pre-bed routine.
Mary Oliver's poetry collection seems like a great calming read! I love how her works are inspired by nature; it must be very serene. I'll certainly give her books a shot, especially since they're great for short, mindful readings before bed.

David Sedaris is a hilarious author whose works I also enjoy; his witty commentary is an excellent pick-me-up during the day, though I find his books aren't quite right for winding down at night haha! They're a little too engaging and comical for that. But for sure, they'll brighten up any mood.

I'm always on the lookout for funny, lighthearted reads - they're the best for unwinding, so any recommendations are welcome! It's a great way to de-stress and ease into a good night's rest.

If you enjoy humour and a lighthearted tone, Bill Bryson's work might suit your taste! His books are witty and engaging, with an insightful and humorous take on life. They're great for picking up and putting down - perfect for short bursts of reading to unwind before bed. His writing has a charming, relaxed style that's easy to follow, which makes it ideal for creating a serene environment to ease into sleep.

His travel memoirs, such as 'Notes From a Small Island' or 'Neither Here nor There', are particularly fun and lighthearted. They'll transport you to different places and cultures, providing an entertaining escape without the mental exhaustion of more intense reads. That change of scenery can be a great way to unwind and relax the mind before rest.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
I totally agree! I love Bill Bryson's work - it's so light-hearted and humorous, without being overwhelming. It's the kind of read you can dip in and out of, which is perfect for a pre-bed unwind.

His travel memoirs are definitely my favourite - they're like a little vacation before bed! You feel like you're exploring these new places and cultures, which is such a fun way to switch off and relax. I find it's a great way to transport yourself somewhere else without leaving your bedroom, a little mental holiday if you will!

I'll also recommend his book, 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' - it's an autobiographical coming-of-age story and just as engaging and hilarious as his travelogue series. It's a great one for some easy, enjoyable reading before slipping into sleep mode.

I second the recommendation for The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid! It's a delightful, feel-good book that's perfect for some pre-sleep reading. His books always have this wonderful ability to whisk you away somewhere else - a great escapism before drifting off to sleep.

I second the recommendation for The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid! It's a delightful, feel-good book that's perfect for some pre-sleep reading. His books always have this wonderful ability to whisk you away somewhere else - a great escapism before drifting off to sleep.
It is soothing to envision oneself in another place and time, especially so before bed! This escape through reading helps in creating a peaceful zone, a necessary ritual for a good night's rest.

Have you also come across Kevin Smith's book Silent Bob Speaks? It's packed full of entertaining stories and anecdotes, written in his trademark humorous style. It's another wonderful, light-hearted read that never fails to make me laugh - a great addition to any bedtime routine!

It's amazing how certain books can transport us to another world, especially when read right before bed. Escapism at its finest!

Any other suggestions for enjoyable, light reads that help people shut down for the night are welcome! Keep the recommendations coming.

It is soothing to envision oneself in another place and time, especially so before bed! This escape through reading helps in creating a peaceful zone, a necessary ritual for a good night's rest.

Have you also come across Kevin Smith's book Silent Bob Speaks? It's packed full of entertaining stories and anecdotes, written in his trademark humorous style. It's another wonderful, light-hearted read that never fails to make me laugh - a great addition to any bedtime routine!
I have not heard of the author or his works but I love how you described it! It sounds like such a fun, easy read and the humorous tone is a nice way to keep the mind entertained yet relaxed simultaneously - a difficult balance to find!

I appreciate your recommendation because I'm always on the lookout for funny writers who can make me laugh on demand; it's an excellent talent to have! I'll definitely check out his work; thanks!

I have not heard of the author or his works but I love how you described it! It sounds like such a fun, easy read and the humorous tone is a nice way to keep the mind entertained yet relaxed simultaneously - a difficult balance to find!

I appreciate your recommendation because I'm always on the lookout for funny writers who can make me laugh on demand; it's an excellent talent to have! I'll definitely check out his work; thanks!
His works are definitely worth a shot if you love light-hearted, humorous writing! He's got a great way of storytelling and keeping things fun and interesting. It's the type of book you can read when you want something engaging but not challenging - a lovely way to unwind. It won't tire you out, that's for sure!

• Love
Reactions: koala

It's amazing how certain books can become our trusted allies in helping us relax and unwind. Glad to share the love for a good chuckle before bed - enjoy discovering your new read!

His works are definitely worth a shot if you love light-hearted, humorous writing! He's got a great way of storytelling and keeping things fun and interesting. It's the type of book you can read when you want something engaging but not challenging - a lovely way to unwind. It won't tire you out, that's for sure!
I appreciate the insights and recommendations shared here! Keep them coming; they're extremely helpful!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for relaxing reads? Ideally, something funny, light, and not too plot-heavy would be perfect to help wind down.

I appreciate the insights and recommendations shared here! Keep them coming; they're extremely helpful!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for relaxing reads? Ideally, something funny, light, and not too plot-heavy would be perfect to help wind down.
If you enjoy a good laugh and don't mind a bit of romance with your comedy, Sophie Kinsella's books might fit the bill! Her writing has a whimsical, bubbly tone that keeps things light and enjoyable. Her stories are often silly and charming, with a good dash of humour that never fails to make me giggle.

Her Shopaholic series is hilarious, with a fun, relatable protagonist who gets into all sorts of crazy situations. These books are great because they're so engaging but not intensive; perfect for some light relaxation before bed.

If you enjoy a good laugh and don't mind a bit of romance with your comedy, Sophie Kinsella's books might fit the bill! Her writing has a whimsical, bubbly tone that keeps things light and enjoyable. Her stories are often silly and charming, with a good dash of humour that never fails to make me giggle.

Her Shopaholic series is hilarious, with a fun, relatable protagonist who gets into all sorts of crazy situations. These books are great because they're so engaging but not intensive; perfect for some light relaxation before bed.
Sophie Kinsella's works are funny and whimsical - the ultimate feel-good reads! Her stories always put me in a good mood with their clever humour and warm fuzzies. You've described it perfectly - an excellent, engaging read that doesn't overwhelm with intensity!

I also enjoy her other standalone books which are equally humorous and heartwarming, like 'Remember Me?' and 'My Not So Perfect Life'. These are great options for some fun, mind-clearing leisure reading!

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I haven't read either of those standalone books - will have to give them a go! I love how her books have a light-heartedness and humor, while also tackling topics like finding your place in the world ('My Not So Perfect Life') - it's a great balance.

That's the beauty of her writing! It's so relatable and strikes a perfect balance between keeping things light-hearted yet thoughtful. You'll have to let me know what you think of them once you've read them! And if you have any other recommendations for similar books, send them my way :).

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu