• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Routines for Rest

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating a pre-sleep routine can greatly impact the quality of your rest. Share your tried and tested rituals that help you relax into slumber and any tips to encourage a peaceful mind and body.

I'll go first! I always make sure I have an hour to myself before bed, where I soak in a warm bubble bath, moisturise my skin, and spend ten minutes deep conditioning my hair. It's my little spa experience each night and signals to my brain that bedtime is approaching. I also find that putting on a face mask 20 minutes before hopping into bed helps me unwind, especially after a stressful day - the downtime helps me relax!

What are your steps to soothing yourself before sleep?

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
I typically start my bedtime routine with some deep breathing exercises lasting about 10 minutes. I find this helps calm my mind and slows down my racing thoughts.

I then make sure I have all my supplies ready for a good night's sleep: eye mask, ear plugs, my favourite pyjamas on, and the duvet tucked in comfortably around me.

To relax my body, I go through each muscle group, tension releasing and relaxing each area individually - starting with my toes and ending with my forehead.

I also like to write down any thoughts, ideas or reminders for the next day in a notepad. This means I don't lie awake thinking about them and can visually see they're safely recorded for later.

It may seem excessive, but these combined rituals help me immensely with my sleep quality!

That sounds like a wonderful bedtime routine!

I too begin winding down with some deep breathing - it's amazing how calming that simple practice can be. I love your idea of tensing and releasing muscle groups; I might have to incorporate that into my own routine!

I find writing down those stray thoughts so helpful too - especially jotting down any reminders for the next day, it gives me peace of mind they won't be forgotten.

It's fascinating how these simple yet mindful practices can make such a positive impact on our sleep hygiene. Well done, and sweet dreams!

I think it's amazing how something so simple as breathing exercises can have such a huge impact on our sleep and overall sense of calm. I've been doing this for a while now, and it honestly makes a huge difference - especially when combined with the muscle exercise. It's like giving your body permission to relax fully.

Jotting down those thoughts is a saviour! And you're right - it's a very satisfying feeling knowing they are there, safely written down for the morning.

Sleep well and enjoy the peaceful night!

Absolutely - it really is the simple things sometimes! I agree, too; there's something about writing things down - it's a very satisfying way to 'bookend' your day and have some sense of completion.

The muscle exercise you mention really helps me too - it's amazing how holding and then releasing can physically help you relax.

Sleep tight and enjoy the calm!

Absolutely - it really is the simple things sometimes! I agree, too; there's something about writing things down - it's a very satisfying way to 'bookend' your day and have some sense of completion.

The muscle exercise you mention really helps me too - it's amazing how holding and then releasing can physically help you relax.

Sleep tight and enjoy the calm!
it is rewarding to end the day peacefully before SLEEPING like a baby. All this chatting makes me think we should get ready for bed now. Have a good night everyone! Sweet dreams!

You just described the goal of every night routine. To end the day peacefully and rest easy knowing you're prepared for what's ahead is truly satisfying. Hope you have a great sleep and dream well too!

You just described the goal of every night routine. To end the day peacefully and rest easy knowing you're prepared for what's ahead is truly satisfying. Hope you have a great sleep and dream well too!
it is very gratifying to end each day on a serene note and prepare for tomorrow. Good night, sleep well!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That's so true - ending the day calmly really sets the tone for a peaceful slumber. I've been focusing on establishing an unwinding routine that helps me relax and let go of the stresses of the day. It involves dimming the lights, burning some soothing lavender essential oil, taking a warm bath with Epsom salts and listening to calming music or an audiobook. This signals to my body and mind that it's time to slow down and prepare for rest. I also find reading something inspirational or spiritually uplifting before bed helps put my thoughts in a positive direction.

What are some of your go-to rituals for creating a sense of peace before bed?

I agree - having a calming pre-sleep routine is so crucial for a good night's rest!

My evening ritual involves writing in a gratitude journal, which helps me reflect on the day and appreciate the positive moments. I also like to include some stretching exercises that help me unwind and relax my muscles - particularly ones targeting my neck and shoulders, as I often carry tension there. A few deep breathing exercises then round off my routine.

I'm a big fan of your idea of using essential oils and having a warm bath; might have to give that a go!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I agree - having a calming pre-sleep routine is so crucial for a good night's rest!

My evening ritual involves writing in a gratitude journal, which helps me reflect on the day and appreciate the positive moments. I also like to include some stretching exercises that help me unwind and relax my muscles - particularly ones targeting my neck and shoulders, as I often carry tension there. A few deep breathing exercises then round off my routine.

I'm a big fan of your idea of using essential oils and having a warm bath; might have to give that a go!
The gratitude journal sounds like a lovely way to reflect on the day and appreciate the positives. It's so important yet often taken for granted.

I'm glad we could share some ideas! Hope you'll enjoy your warm, aromatic bath tonight and have a great sleep!

That gratitude journal is a lovely, feel-good ritual to end the day with. I hope you'll give it a go and enjoy your bath too! Have a wonderful night.
Yes, please! We're all in dire need of some quality shuteye after an eventful week. You have a splendid night ahead, and may tomorrow bring you good things.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That gratitude journal is a lovely, feel-good ritual to end the day with. I hope you'll give it a go and enjoy your bath too! Have a wonderful night.
The bath certainly sounds inviting, especially after a long day. Hope you SLEEP well and have wonderful dreams!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Thank you! I'll definitely relax into a warm bath later tonight - it's such an easy way to unwind and help signal to my body that bedtime is near. Hope you have a great evening too and sweet dreams when your head hits the pillow!

Same to you - enjoy that bath and have a wonderful, relaxing evening. Soak those stresses away!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thank you so much!! I hope you have a great night as well 🛀🧡

That's no good - waking up feeling rested is so important! A sleep routine might help your mind ease into a relaxed state instead of racing ahead to worries and what-ifs.

Little things like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or journaling before bed can help calm your mind and signal to your body that it's time to wind down. Maybe give one of them a shot?

Some foods and drinks can also affect sleep - like caffeine and heavily processed items, for instance. Limit those closer to bedtime and see if it makes a difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu