• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Rest and Reset

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When do you know it's time to take a break?
A period of rest and reset seems like a no-brainer, but there are cues to look out for that indicate your body and mind could benefit from some downtime.

Share when you knew it was time for a pause and how you went about planning a reset.

I'll go first! For me, it's usually when my sleep starts to suffer and I'm feeling extra anxious or on edge. I know that those are signs that I've been going non-stop for too long and need to schedule some activities that help me unwind. Usually, this involves booking an extra day off work, putting away the to-do list, and spending time doing things that bring me joy outside of work - cooking, walking, reading, and taking a break from screens.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and musical
For me, it's often noticeable physical signs like tension headaches and eye strain that hint I've been working myself too hard. My mind starts to feel cloudy, and I find it harder to focus on complex tasks.

I recently took a long weekend after realizing I'd been operating at a high intensity for several weeks without a proper break. I booked some time off work, turned off work emails, and spent the days doing simple things like reading by the beach, catching up with friends, and indulging in some much-needed retail therapy. I made a point of leaving my laptop at home when I went out, so there was no temptation!

I came back refreshed and felt like I'd really reset, which helped me approach work with renewed energy and focus. It's amazing how a short break can help prevent burnout.

When do you know it's time to take a break?
A period of rest and reset seems like a no-brainer, but there are cues to look out for that indicate your body and mind could benefit from some downtime.

Share when you knew it was time for a pause and how you went about planning a reset.

I'll go first! For me, it's usually when my sleep starts to suffer and I'm feeling extra anxious or on edge. I know that those are signs that I've been going non-stop for too long and need to schedule some activities that help me unwind. Usually, this involves booking an extra day off work, putting away the to-do list, and spending time doing things that bring me joy outside of work - cooking, walking, reading, and taking a break from screens.
I'm glad you asked about this topic, as it's very personal yet relatable!

For me, the signs are clear when my body starts showing physical symptoms of being overwhelmed. I get tension headaches, and my shoulders feel like rocks. I also get very snappy and easily irritated, which is unlike me.

To plan a reset, I'll usually try to pinpoint what is causing the stress. Is it work-related or something going on at home? Sometimes, it's easy to misattribute the cause of our stress, so it's good to take a step back and analyze that.

Once I've identified the sources, I like to think of solutions - what can be done about them, if anything? If it's an issue at work, can I delegate some tasks or speak with my boss about managing workload? At home, could it be that I need help from others to share the load?

After identifying actionable items, I'll plan a break. I'll book off time from work, and also specifically schedule in some activities I know will help me unwind. Like you, I love spending extra time cooking and reading during my breaks. I might also meet up with friends for a leisurely lunch, or plan a movie night. The key for me is to have some structure, so that helps me feel like I'm not just procrastinating or being lazy, but actually taking a purposeful break.

I find that going for massages or doing at-home self-care like facials also helps a lot with resetting. It's a physical way to remind myself to slow down and be kind to my body, and the relaxation is an added bonus!

Sometimes, a break isn't always possible, especially if work or family commitments are demanding. That's when I'll try smaller tactics like taking short walks in the park nearby or napping during lunches to feel refreshed.

Do share your cues and resets, I'm keen to hear them!

Reactions: bananarama
For me, it's often noticeable physical signs like tension headaches and eye strain that hint I've been working myself too hard. My mind starts to feel cloudy, and I find it harder to focus on complex tasks.

I recently took a long weekend after realizing I'd been operating at a high intensity for several weeks without a proper break. I booked some time off work, turned off work emails, and spent the days doing simple things like reading by the beach, catching up with friends, and indulging in some much-needed retail therapy. I made a point of leaving my laptop at home when I went out, so there was no temptation!

I came back refreshed and felt like I'd really reset, which helped me approach work with renewed energy and focus. It's amazing how a short break can help prevent burnout.
That's great that you recognize the signs of overwork and take proactive steps to recharge! Simple pleasures like reading and catching up with friends are soothing and help reset the mind. A short break can go a long way in preventing burnout and keeping our productivity in check.

Enjoying some me-time and creating that much needed separation from work is an excellent reminder of the importance of work-life balance - a valuable insight, especially for other parents who might be dealing with similar situations.

Reactions: mamamia

Yeah, it's scary how easily one can get immersed in work and realize too late that you've been operating on empty for so long. Glad the long weekend did you good!

I'm also the same, I have to deliberately remove myself from the situation to break the cycle. It's amazing how a break can help us refocus and see things with clearer eyes.

Sometimes, we just need that time to recharge and recenter so that we come back with a fresh perspective. Sounds like you found an effective recipe for reset!

That's great that you recognize the signs of overwork and take proactive steps to recharge! Simple pleasures like reading and catching up with friends are soothing and help reset the mind. A short break can go a long way in preventing burnout and keeping our productivity in check.

Enjoying some me-time and creating that much needed separation from work is an excellent reminder of the importance of work-life balance - a valuable insight, especially for other parents who might be dealing with similar situations.
I think we can sometimes get so caught up in our busy schedules that we forget the simple yet effective ways to reset and avoid burnout. It's a great reminder to reach out to friends and plan some downtime; often, we're so focused on our responsibilities that we don't realize how needed a break is until we take it!

I find parents especially may relate to this topic because we're so used to being 'on' for our kids, families, and work. We juggle so much that stepping back and prioritizing ourselves can feel foreign, but it's so important!

I think we can sometimes get so caught up in our busy schedules that we forget the simple yet effective ways to reset and avoid burnout. It's a great reminder to reach out to friends and plan some downtime; often, we're so focused on our responsibilities that we don't realize how needed a break is until we take it!

I find parents especially may relate to this topic because we're so used to being 'on' for our kids, families, and work. We juggle so much that stepping back and prioritizing ourselves can feel foreign, but it's so important!
Yup, that's so true! Parents are notoriously guilty of forgetting about self-care and getting immersed in the never-ending responsibilities that come with parenthood. It's almost like we need someone to remind us that it's okay, and beneficial, to take some time off and enjoy some downtime.

It's only when I take a step back that I realize how vital it is to recharge and reconnect with interests outside of work and parenthood. It helps to reset the mind and bring some excitement and energy back into daily life.

Yeah, it's like putting on an oxygen mask on a plane; you gotta look after yourself before you can help others. Parenting can be all-consuming, so it's crucial to make time for yourselves, folks!

Yup, that's so true! Parents are notoriously guilty of forgetting about self-care and getting immersed in the never-ending responsibilities that come with parenthood. It's almost like we need someone to remind us that it's okay, and beneficial, to take some time off and enjoy some downtime.

It's only when I take a step back that I realize how vital it is to recharge and reconnect with interests outside of work and parenthood. It helps to reset the mind and bring some excitement and energy back into daily life.
Yup, it's so easy to get sucked into the black hole of parenting responsibilities! We're just so occupied with taking care of our little ones and managing work and household chores that we rarely give ourselves permission to step away from it all.

I feel that stepping back and restarting is an essential part of being a parent that's often overlooked. It's like you're so focused on keeping this tiny human alive that you forget you need to stay alive too, haha! Taking some time off doesn't make us bad parents; instead, it makes us more present and engaged when we're with our kids.

It's also super important to show our children that we have lives outside of being their parents. Modeling hobbies and interests and showing them how to prioritize self-care sets a good example. They will learn to appreciate time for themselves and develop their own interests, which is essential for their own mental health and well-being too.

Have you guys found any effective ways to convince other half, family members, or caregivers that sending parents on a much-needed break is beneficial for everyone? I think it's a common struggle we face when we try to justify some time off!

Yeah, it's like putting on an oxygen mask on a plane; you gotta look after yourself before you can help others. Parenting can be all-consuming, so it's crucial to make time for yourselves, folks!
Taking care of oneself is necessary before we can care for our little ones. We cannot pour from an empty cup, as they say!

Taking a step back to get some perspective; we do need that occasional reminder to recalibrate our priorities, else the mundane can blindside us! I find it beneficial to have close friends who are also parents because, through casual conversations, we remind each other about the importance of keeping our hobbies and interests alive. It's heartening to hear fellow parents sharing their experiences, acknowledging the drudgery of monotony, yet finding ways to revive that zing in our lives!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

True, taking a break and focusing on something else rejuvenates us so that we can come back refreshed and recharged. It's easy to get burned out when we're constantly running on empty.

Reactions: doctormama
I'm sure many frazzled parents out there will agree! It's easy to forget about one's own needs when there's a demanding young child.

Yup, it's so easy to get sucked into the black hole of parenting responsibilities! We're just so occupied with taking care of our little ones and managing work and household chores that we rarely give ourselves permission to step away from it all.

I feel that stepping back and restarting is an essential part of being a parent that's often overlooked. It's like you're so focused on keeping this tiny human alive that you forget you need to stay alive too, haha! Taking some time off doesn't make us bad parents; instead, it makes us more present and engaged when we're with our kids.

It's also super important to show our children that we have lives outside of being their parents. Modeling hobbies and interests and showing them how to prioritize self-care sets a good example. They will learn to appreciate time for themselves and develop their own interests, which is essential for their own mental health and well-being too.

Have you guys found any effective ways to convince other half, family members, or caregivers that sending parents on a much-needed break is beneficial for everyone? I think it's a common struggle we face when we try to justify some time off!
Sometimes, the best way to convince others that a parent's break is necessary is to have an open and honest chat! Explain how it will ultimately benefit the child/ren too - their well-being, development and overall happiness. And of course, highlight how it'll help you be a more engaged, refreshed mama bear after some much needed R&R!

It's also a good idea to propose a fun activity or outing for everyone to enjoy once you're back refreshed and recharged - that way, family members or caregivers can look forward to the 'reward' too!

What are your go-to ways to convince others that your break time is beneficial for all? Share the secrets! 😄

Taking care of oneself is necessary before we can care for our little ones. We cannot pour from an empty cup, as they say!
Self-care is important, especially for parents who have young children. Being a parent can be exhilarating, but it also drains your energy and resources. Taking some time off for yourself allows you to recharge and ensures that you have the stamina and mental clarity to give your loved ones the best of you.

I'm sure many frazzled parents out there will agree! It's easy to forget about one's own needs when there's a demanding young child.
As a parent, it's natural to prioritize your child's needs above yours, but it's also essential to remember that taking care of yourself is crucial! You can't pour from an empty cup, so taking some time for yourself to rest and reset is important to stay energized and focused.

True, taking a break and focusing on something else rejuvenates us so that we can come back refreshed and recharged. It's easy to get burned out when we're constantly running on empty.
It's good to have some downtime and focus on other things aside from work, as a break gives us time to miss the routine and appreciate it more when we return.

Taking short breaks and changing our focus helps to prevent burnout -- it's a great way to maintain productivity and keep ourselves sanity-checked!

As a parent, it's natural to prioritize your child's needs above yours, but it's also essential to remember that taking care of yourself is crucial! You can't pour from an empty cup, so taking some time for yourself to rest and reset is important to stay energized and focused.
True that! I've found that taking a bath works wonders for me. Soaking in the tub with some epsom salt and essential oils helps me relax and recharge especially on those extra exhausting days. It's my way of indulging in some much-needed 'me time'.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu