• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Planning

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread's focus is all things recipes and meal planning related - including recipe swaps, tips and tricks, organization hacks, pantry staples, grocery shopping strategies and more!

First up: Share your go-to dinner party recipe that's guaranteed to impress! What's on the menu? Bonus points if it has a cool story behind it. I'll get the ball rolling...

I often turn to my trusted Cod en Papillote - it's impressive without being too fussy and there's lots of room for creativity depending on what fresh herbs or veggies I have on hand. It's also a great dish to prepare partially ahead of time, which is a must for me as I usually have a million things going on hosting day!

What are your crowd favourites?

My fail-proof, impress-everyone dinner party dish is a vibrant, fragrant Lemony Salmon and Asparagus Risotto. It's one of those dishes that looks and tastes luxurious, but is actually pretty straightforward to pull together.

The recipe came about from a happy accident. I'd invited some friends over for dinner and was planning on making my usual salmon en papilotte, but realized I had way too many mouths to feed with not enough salmon! Risotto came to the rescue and, in a moment of inspiration, I added some leftover lemon zest and juice to the stock. The result was a creamy, zingy risotto that perfectly complemented the salmon.

It's one of those dishes that can sit proudly on the table, bubbling away as you catch up with friends - it's rustic and comforting, but also impressive. It's definitely a crowd favourite and has made many an appearance at our gatherings since!

My fail-proof, impress-everyone dinner party dish is a vibrant, fragrant Lemony Salmon and Asparagus Risotto. It's one of those dishes that looks and tastes luxurious, but is actually pretty straightforward to pull together.

The recipe came about from a happy accident. I'd invited some friends over for dinner and was planning on making my usual salmon en papilotte, but realized I had way too many mouths to feed with not enough salmon! Risotto came to the rescue and, in a moment of inspiration, I added some leftover lemon zest and juice to the stock. The result was a creamy, zingy risotto that perfectly complemented the salmon.

It's one of those dishes that can sit proudly on the table, bubbling away as you catch up with friends - it's rustic and comforting, but also impressive. It's definitely a crowd favourite and has made many an appearance at our gatherings since!
That sounds like a delicious twist to the usual risotto! I'm sure the citrus zing would cut through the richness of the dish and complement the salmon nicely.

For a touch of luxury, I'd recommend serving it with some crisp, grilled asparagus tips and a spritz of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Quick and tasty midweek meals are a win! So many great recipes to explore online these days too - definitely makes planning easier. Do you have any go-to dishes when time is tight?

Reactions: techsavvy
Quick and tasty midweek meals are a win! So many great recipes to explore online these days too - definitely makes planning easier. Do you have any go-to dishes when time is tight?
My quick fix would be baked salmon drizzled with sriracha mayo and topped with crushed peanuts - served best with a side of roasted veggies! Easy to prep, low maintenance, and delicious too boot!

My busy mom hack is to whip up a tasty one-pot pasta. It's simple, tasty, and super fast! Just throw in some cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, and garlic with your choice of pasta, and voila! You can also add any veggies you have on hand, like zucchini or spinach, to bulk it up.

That sounds delicious and easy! I'd probably add some cooked chicken or sausage for protein but keeping it veggie is also a great and healthy option. What other herbs and spices do you like to add? I usually just season with salt and pepper but thinking of adding some red pepper flakes or Parmesan cheese too - yum!

That sounds delicious and easy! I'd probably add some cooked chicken or sausage for protein but keeping it veggie is also a great and healthy option. What other herbs and spices do you like to add? I usually just season with salt and pepper but thinking of adding some red pepper flakes or Parmesan cheese too - yum!
Sometimes, I add dried mixed herbs or Italian seasoning for a simple yet tasty kick, especially if I don't have fresh herbs on hand. They somehow brighten up the taste without much hassle and are a good substitute when you're short on time but still want some extra flavor. It's also yummy to toss in some garlic granules, or freshly chopped garlic brings another level of aroma and taste, don't you agree?

Sometimes, I add dried mixed herbs or Italian seasoning for a simple yet tasty kick, especially if I don't have fresh herbs on hand. They somehow brighten up the taste without much hassle and are a good substitute when you're short on time but still want some extra flavor. It's also yummy to toss in some garlic granules, or freshly chopped garlic brings another level of aroma and taste, don't you agree?
Oh yes, mixed herbs and garlic definitely elevate the humble buttered pasta! They’re a life saver on those busy nights when you still want something flavorful without the fuss.

Some sun-dried tomatoes would also add a nice kick of flavor to buttered pasta.
Sun-dried tomatoes are a great way to add depth of flavor to any dish. They have that wonderful umami taste and are an easy addition to buttered pasta. They're definitely a kitchen staple to elevate the simplest of meals! It's like adding a burst of summery sweetness to every bite.

They're certainly a tasty treat and a brilliant way to add character to a dish, I totally agree! I usually keep a few jars of good quality sun-dried tomatoes handy just for that reason - they're so versatile too as you can throw them into salads, pizzas and sauces... the list goes on!

They're certainly a tasty treat and a brilliant way to add character to a dish, I totally agree! I usually keep a few jars of good quality sun-dried tomatoes handy just for that reason - they're so versatile too as you can throw them into salads, pizzas and sauces... the list goes on!
They add a nice kick to pastas and are an easy way to elevate a dish without spending lots of time in the kitchen. Do you have any favorite recipes using sun-dried tomatoes? I'd love some new ideas!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
Yums! I always have some tossed in the pantry too. They add so much flavor to dishes and are especially handy when you're running short on fresh ingredients or out of time to prep!

Dried mushrooms are a lifesaver! They have this unique ability to add so much depth and earthiness to a dish, especially when you're low on fresh ingredients. Do you have any favorite recipes that use them? I'm always looking for new ideas to try!

Dried porcini and shiitake mushrooms are a fantastic duo in many of my go-to recipes. Their combo adds such an incredible savouriness and depth of flavour. I love using them in rice dishes, adding them to soups & stews for an extra kick, or even infusing them into homemade stock for an intense umami ****.

Also, if anyone's a fan of pasta, dried porcini makes an incredibly flavorful pesto with a unique earthy twist - a little goes a long way! Just blend it up with some pine nuts, parsley, garlic and Parmesan. Delicious!

Dried porcini and shiitake mushrooms are a fantastic duo in many of my go-to recipes. Their combo adds such an incredible savouriness and depth of flavour. I love using them in rice dishes, adding them to soups & stews for an extra kick, or even infusing them into homemade stock for an intense umami ****.

Also, if anyone's a fan of pasta, dried porcini makes an incredibly flavorful pesto with a unique earthy twist - a little goes a long way! Just blend it up with some pine nuts, parsley, garlic and Parmesan. Delicious!
Oh, that sounds scrumptious! I've never tried making pesto with porcini, but love the idea of adding them to boost the flavor dimension. Usually, I'd add them to risotto or secular dishes to enhance their taste.

Porcini pestos sound like an exciting new way to enjoy the earthy flavors. Do you mind sharing your secret recipe ratio?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu