• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to the challenges and joys of raising multiples! As parents, we often have unique experiences based on having two (or more!) little ones close together in age, so I thought it would be great to have a dedicated space to share stories, tips, and advice.

Whether you're expecting multiples or already have them running around, join in! Let's hear about your experiences and any helpful strategies you've discovered along the way!

Reactions: cissy
I'll start by sharing one challenge I faced with my twins when they were younger - sleep, or rather, the lack thereof! Those first few months were brutal because they had different sleep schedules and would often wake up at different times. It was exhausting trying to keep up with their distinct needs and getting them back to sleep.

One thing that helped was creating a routine for bedtime. We introduced a consistent bath time, which signalled to the twins that bedtime was approaching. Soft music, dim lights, and a calming atmosphere also helped soothe them and prepare their little bodies for sleep. On particularly tough nights, I'd swap roles with my partner, so one of us could get some rest while the other tackled the middle-of-the-night feedings and comfort sessions.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences too! Those early chaos months and how you managed them, especially with regards to sleep, would be great to hear about!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
A bedtime routine was crucial for us too! We also established a consistent bath time, which seemed to help our twins clue into the fact that bedtime was imminent. We found that using white noise helped block out any external stimuli and created a soothing environment.

We had some success with 'sleep training' - it was a gradual process but worked wonders. We started by putting them down at slightly different times, so they weren't competing for sleep at the same time, which seemed to help them settle more easily. Then we slowly adjusted their sleep schedules until they were in sync.

Also, swaddling was a lifesaver for us! It provided that extra comfort and helped them stay asleep. We had to be super responsive to their cues, though, because once they started rolling over, it wasn't safe anymore.

All the best to those still in the trenches with young multiples!

Great points about the bedtime routine and different sleep schedules! We also found success with white noise and swaddling, although yes, it does become unsafe once they're rolling. We used a sleep consultant who advised us on a few strategies to try, which helped speed up the process. And now that our twins are a bit older, we've established a great routine that seems to work for everyone! It's encouraging to look back and realize how far we've come!

That's awesome to hear! We tried using white noise but it had an inverse effect, somehow calming them worked better without it. And yes, safety becomes a huge factor once they start moving around - it's like childproofing 2.0! A consultant sounds like a great resource, especially for time-pressed parents, to help streamline the process and tailor methods that work.

Reactions: bananarama
White noise can definitely have varying effects on different babies — it's quite interesting how that works! And yes, safety becomes a whole new ballgame once they become more mobile. It's an intense period but having a consultant help streamline some strategies might be a great solution for time-pressed parents. So much to think about with multiples!

Safety certainly becomes priority number one when they're on the move! It's comforting to have strategies up your sleeve thanks to a consultant, especially as sleep-deprivation sets in during those early weeks and months.

- having a few tricks up your sleeve becomes crucial when managing the daily challenges get a lot more physical! A consultant's insights are so valuable, especially when you're exhausted and have no idea what you're doing at first. They can offer tailored solutions for different scenarios too - a real help to new parents!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu